Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Assorted wines for almost summer (Burg, Loire, Germany, etc)

With summer I needed to kick start new batch of vinegar, needed more
than leftover wine, used 2 bottles of 2007 Cartlidge and Brown Cabernet
Sauvignon. Actually, only planned on using one, but once I tasted decided
I could spare both for the crock. Very sweet, black plum and cherry
fruit, sugar, low acid,did I say sweet? Plus it was sweet! C/C+

With vegetarian tacos, the 2009 Schafer-Frohlich Riesling Kabinett. Nice
acidity, more Spatlese-y than Kabinett-y (though maybe in recent vintages
I just need to recalibrate my expectations), but nervy underlying acidity,
nice mineral finish. Holds up well and a small glass with some tikka
masala and saag paneer 2 days later is tasty. B+/B

With a strange but tasty pizza (tomato, mozzarella, cheddar, meatball,
and roasted pepper) the 1993 Librandi Gravello.(Val di Neto). Mostly
Gagloppo but with a healthy dose of Cabernet Sauvignon. This was a
longshot for aging 18 years, but fruit was clean and alive, a touch
pruney but I think that's more Calabria than age. Round, low acid,
dark fruits, heavy. OK, but most of bottle went into crock. A glass
of leftover ESJ R&G did better with the pizza. OK old southern Italian. B-

Finally a perfect late Spring/almost summer day, and great timing as it
was first night of the summer concert series at Waterfront Park. Music
was great (outstanding group of jazz pros, including my friend Ron on
drums), friends abounded, weather and sunset were magical. Betsy was
working so I'd had an early dinner of Indian takeout with her first,
so turned down most food offers, but few wine offers.

2010 Baudry Chinon rose
Still great. Crispy/crunch red fruits, a bit of herb, mineral finish, clean
and classy. B+/A-

2009 Leitz Rudesheimer Klosterlay Riesling Kabinett
I've had this several times, always liked, and liked last night, though
it seemed a little heavier and less fresh than I remembered (it might
have just been that it was a little warm).Still, nice rather fat Kab. B

2008 Fourrier Bourgogne Blanc
Lemon zest, acids, lean and focused yet with a sense of richness. About a
good a straight Bourgogne blanc as I've ever had. A-/B+

2009 Breton "Trinch!" Bourgueil
Fresh, bright fruit and spices, quaffable. B

Great night, though as usual best part was conversations.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.