Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Wines at home, at friends, and in Yonkers : Bdx, Lebanon, Burg,Spain, Germany

Selbach "Incline" Riesling
No vintage I can see, but the AP ended in 10, so assume 2009. Tart lime and
green apple fruit, light bodied, quite acidic. Fresh, clean, and good for
under $9. B-

Went to a dinner at an environmental center in Yonkers. Betsy was working,
so our friend Leila took her spot. Thunderstorms during day, but it cleared
a bit before the dinner, so organizers were able to set up outside- one
long table for 45. Great view of the river and Palisades, nice temps,
great evening. There was a Moroccan theme to the dinner:

During the mingle period, there was cucumber soup shots along wiith hummus
on pita bread, along with the Jaume Serra Cristalino Brut cava. This was
a different looking label than the Cristalino I've seen before (white
background, with a neck sticker re an award from a mag- Food and Wine?),
but seems pretty similar- very light, but clean, dry, and tasty. One of
the better under $10 bubblies. B-

We sat down to a pair of salads, tomato with avocado & preserved lemons.
and carrots with paprika and capers. Wine was the 2010 Borsao rosado.
Sweet berry fruit, simple, a little short, but nothing offensive. B-/C+

Main course was lamb & merguez kekabs with onion and lemon, with rice.

2005 Christian Moueix "Encore" Merlot
Soft easy Bordeaux, black plums and a little chocolate, just a hint of
tannin, pretty clean little cheap Bordeaux. B/B-

1999 Ch. Musar (Bekaa Valley)
Tamer than some vintages, ripe red round fruit, herbs, just a hint of animal
and leather. Some VA, but not objectionable. B

1996 Ch. Marquis du Terme (Margaux)
Pretty classic old school Margaux, feminine for Bdx, cassis and dark
berry fruit, perfumed, resolved tannins, pretty good length. B+

Fun night with friends.

With grilled king salmon, salad, and yellow squash, I tried both a white
and a red (both $20 from Zachys flat sale, well under normal retail)

2008 Palacios "as Sortes" Godello (Valdeorras)
There seems to be some wood here, but it carries it well. Rich fruit,
really vibrant acids, mineral notes on long finish. Big wine, but balanced.. A-/B+

2008 Chevillon Nuits St Georges VV
Lots of acids, but they are smoothed by pretty raspberry and strawberry
fruit. Some tannin, with air there is a distinct earthy note. Fine village
level NSG, could use some time. B+

I ordered more of the Godello today (I know the NSG was sold out, but that
I at least had ordered 6 of).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in
.
com:

> 2008 Palacios "as Sortes" Godello (Valdeorras)
> There seems to be some wood here, but it carries it well. Rich fruit,
> really vibrant acids, mineral notes on long finish. Big wine, but
> balanced. A-/B+

Lovely wine, if not cheap. If you want another wine from the same winery,
which is not as big and is priced at a lower level.... Louro do Bolo. 2009
is outstanding IMHO.

BTW, it is amazing to me how cheap is the Louro do Bolo in the US (the
equivalent to 12 euro if winesearcher is correct). It is more expensive in
Spain!

Best,

s.