Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: assorted wines on a gorgeous weekend- Loire, Italy, Bdx, MSR

Thursday I spoke at a banquet in White Plains, but made my escape to
eat at home with Dave and avoid hotel chicken parmesan. We made
pizza, and I opened the 2008 Bart Marsannay rose. Good acids, clean
strawberry fruit, herbal, but a bit less vibrant and lively than it
was previously. Actually holds ok couple days, but drink up. B

Saturday Betsy was back and made a broccoli salad, and we prepped
ribeyes and sweet potatoes for the grill. A little delay while I ran
to a church lot to see if a van was missing (I still can't understand
how a volunteer could miss a 20 foot long Sprinter, since it was only
vehicle in lot), but we eventually settled down to steak and the 2002
Yannick Amirault "Les Graviers" Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil. I never
really meant to age this, and it is showing as tired. Red plum fruit,
tobacco, a little greenness, light barnyard. Finish is falling off a
bit. Gets some ashtray with time B-/C+

Sunday we asked some friends over, Ron brought some squid which he
grilled and put on a bed of spinach and white beans, I grilled tuna
steaks (with lemon zest, garlic, and rosemary) and Betsy made a grain
salad and a green salad. Several wines

NV Pinon Vouvray Brut (neglected to note lot #)
Apples, dinner roll, a bit of wooly Chenin character. Nice,
refreshing, with smooth creamy texture. B+

2008*Willi*Schaefer Riesling QbA
Fresh, zippy, lively, green apples and mineral. B+*

2007 Bruna Riviera " Le Russeghine" Pigato (Liguria)
Green plums, lemons, mineral. Nice length. This is good, but not as
good as the 2006 version, and at $20+ an iffy value.B

1999 Ch, Roc de Cambes (Cotes du Bourg)
Still some oaky coffee/cocoa notes. Fat black fruit, lower acid. Very
popular with others, but I prefer more freshness. I think I liked this
more couple of years ago. I thought some of the modern '99 RBers drank
well at beginning - the ripe but not bulky style flattered- but as
they age the lack of acidity is catching up. B/B- from me (though
others really liked)

2008 Pico Maccario "Berro" Barbera d'Asti
Lighter, moderate acidity, no real tannins, red berry fruit with a
little spiky edge. Ron said it was $8, well worth that. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**