Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Dunn disappointment

Have been holding onto a bottle of Dunn Howell Mountain 1998 as drank
the other two tannic monsters. Well the tannins resolved but the fruit
had disappeared. What a bummer. Not sure when you are really supposed
to drink these as the other two bottles were so huge and waited two
more years for this one. Still have two 1999 Dunn HM and wondering
when to drink them. Probably will go ahead.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 27, 1:34*am, lleichtman > wrote:
> Have been holding onto a bottle of Dunn Howell Mountain 1998 as drank
> the other two tannic monsters. Well the tannins resolved but the fruit
> had disappeared. What a bummer. Not sure when you are really supposed
> to drink these as the other two bottles were so huge and waited two
> more years for this one. Still have two 1999 Dunn HM and wondering
> when to drink them. Probably will go ahead.

If it's any solace, I have drank a number of Dunn HM wines over the
years and still have a bottle or two of 1985 HM and I have never seen
the fruit outlive the fierce tannic structure.
Posted to alt.food.wine

lleichtman wrote:
> Have been holding onto a bottle of Dunn Howell Mountain 1998 as drank
> the other two tannic monsters. Well the tannins resolved but the fruit
> had disappeared. What a bummer. Not sure when you are really supposed
> to drink these as the other two bottles were so huge and waited two
> more years for this one. Still have two 1999 Dunn HM and wondering
> when to drink them. Probably will go ahead.

Larry,
For the record, '98 was a vintage that was never overly fruity (in
comparison to '97 and '99) and I admit that that was much of its
attraction for me, as the Cabs from '98 had a much more savory quality
to them. That being said, I'm still holding off on my '94, '95 and '99
HM. A few years ago, I did open a '90 Napa that was just wonderful, so
I still have some hope.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 27, 10:05*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> lleichtman wrote:
> > Have been holding onto a bottle of Dunn Howell Mountain 1998 as drank
> > the other two tannic monsters. Well the tannins resolved but the fruit
> > had disappeared. What a bummer. Not sure when you are really supposed
> > to drink these as the other two bottles were so huge and waited two
> > more years for this one. Still have two 1999 Dunn HM and wondering
> > when to drink them. Probably will go ahead.

> Larry,
> * * For the record, '98 was a vintage that was never overly fruity (in
> comparison to '97 and '99) and I admit that that was much of its
> attraction for me, as the Cabs from '98 had a much more savory quality
> to them. *That being said, I'm still holding off on my '94, '95 and '99
> HM. *A few years ago, I did open a '90 Napa that was just wonderful, so
> I still have some hope.
>
> Mark Lipton

Mark-Dunn's Napa Cabs are remarkable I think he makes the HM a bit too
rustic and I would like to taste one where the fruit outlasted the
tannins.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 27, 11:31*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On May 27, 10:05*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>

> > lleichtman wrote:
> > > Have been holding onto a bottle of Dunn Howell Mountain 1998 as drank
> > > the other two tannic monsters. Well the tannins resolved but the fruit
> > > had disappeared. What a bummer. Not sure when you are really supposed
> > > to drink these as the other two bottles were so huge and waited two
> > > more years for this one. Still have two 1999 Dunn HM and wondering
> > > when to drink them. Probably will go ahead.

> > Larry,
> > * * For the record, '98 was a vintage that was never overly fruity (in
> > comparison to '97 and '99) and I admit that that was much of its
> > attraction for me, as the Cabs from '98 had a much more savory quality
> > to them. *That being said, I'm still holding off on my '94, '95 and '99
> > HM. *A few years ago, I did open a '90 Napa that was just wonderful, so
> > I still have some hope.

> > Mark Lipton

> Mark-Dunn's Napa Cabs are remarkable I think he makes the HM a bit too
> rustic and I would like to taste one where the fruit outlasted the
> tannins.

Good to know I'm not alone here. I had other 1998 wines that were
better. This one just never did it.