Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default big disappointment

I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
was so expensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 09:45:57 -0700, sf > wrote:

>I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
>I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
>salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
>was so expensive.

I use the McCormick "Gourmet Collection Blends" brand of Hot Madras
Curry Powder and find it very tasty.

Ingredients: Spices (including; Fenugreek, Coriander, Cumin, Turmeric,
Red Pepper), Garlic and Sulfiting Agents.

No salt listed or tasted. It is a very strong curry powder. I love it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 13:03:03 -0400, Landon > wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 09:45:57 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> >I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
> >I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
> >salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
> >was so expensive.

> I use the McCormick "Gourmet Collection Blends" brand of Hot Madras
> Curry Powder and find it very tasty.
>
> Ingredients: Spices (including; Fenugreek, Coriander, Cumin, Turmeric,
> Red Pepper), Garlic and Sulfiting Agents.
>
> No salt listed or tasted. It is a very strong curry powder. I love it!

And to think I bought the fancy one from India. I guess pretty
packaging isn't a good indication. Always read the label.
http://parthenonfoods.com/images/MadrasCurry4oz08.jpg
Take away all that salt and it would be good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 10:23:51 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 13:03:03 -0400, Landon > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 09:45:57 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>

>> >I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
>> >I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
>> >salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
>> >was so expensive.

>> I use the McCormick "Gourmet Collection Blends" brand of Hot Madras
>> Curry Powder and find it very tasty.
>>
>> Ingredients: Spices (including; Fenugreek, Coriander, Cumin, Turmeric,
>> Red Pepper), Garlic and Sulfiting Agents.
>>
>> No salt listed or tasted. It is a very strong curry powder. I love it!

>And to think I bought the fancy one from India. I guess pretty
>packaging isn't a good indication. Always read the label.
>http://parthenonfoods.com/images/MadrasCurry4oz08.jpg
>Take away all that salt and it would be good.

It doesn't look like reading the label would have helped if you read
the one on their web site:

http://parthenonfoods.com/madras-cur...4g-p-3140.html

Piquant peppery and free from coloring and adulteration.

Ingredients: Coriander seeds, Turmeric, Chillies, Salt, Cumin seeds,
Fennel seeds, Black Pepper, Garlic, Ginger, Fenugreek, Cinnamon,
Cloves, Anise, and Mustard.

No salt is listed.....Yikes!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
> I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
> salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
> was so expensive.
>
> --

Curry should not contain any salt. If you buy any seasoning containing salt
the merchant is stealing. We buy all Indian seasoning, including curry
powder in bulk at an Indian Market which sells in bulk. It's always half the
price at least, of any bottled product. You can buy $.50 worth and try it
before you buy more. That's enough for several dishes. Thirty cents worth of
curry recently equaled what you pay $3 for at the Prophylaxis
Emporium[Safeway].

It's very important to go where Indian people shop, even though as I'm sure
you know,curry isn't an Indian dish. It was created specifically for the
British palate when they colonized India.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/04/2011 12:45 PM, sf wrote:

> I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
> I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
> salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
> was so expensive.

I wonder if it was possible for it to be as bad as my green curry was
last fall. I had never had green curry before and thought I would try
cooking something with it. I smelled awful when cooking and it tasted
just as bad as it smelled. I been assured that there are good green
curry dishes to be had in That restaurants, but after that experience, I
don't see myself trying it ever again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 09:45:57 -0700, sf > wrote:

>I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
>I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
>salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
>was so expensive.

I did a 'Net search for Madras Curry Powder Recipe. Many recipes came
up, all were very similar, only one contained salt. Thanks for the
heads up.
Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
>I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
>salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
>was so expensive.

I'm no curry maven, in fact I don't much like curried dishes, but I
love this for rice pilaf, no salt.
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...maharajah.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 2, 12:17*pm, "Kent" > wrote:

> It's very important to go where Indian people shop, even though as I'm sure
> you know,curry isn't an Indian dish. It was created specifically for the
> British palate when they colonized India.

"Curry" covers a range of mostly long-cooked Indian dishes, which have
spread to SE and E Asia. Each curry has a particular mixture of
spices, however -- having a one-size-fits-all spice mixture is un-
Indian. The other difference is the liquid used, whether water, broth,
yogurt, or coconut milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
> I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
> salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
> was so expensive.

Sun Brand? The English imported "MAdras"?

The ER and i used to enjoy the instant Japanese "Golden Curry" mix until
she went on a reduced salt diet.

I stopped buying any packaged, processed foods for her, only preparing
and serving her whole foods.

Last Oct. for her b'day she requested the golden curry and after about 5
years of not eating it i was SCHOCKED, just SCHOCKED at how salty it was.

Had i checked the contents label that alone would have kept my from
buying it, but we had eaten and enjoyed it so often in the past i just
assumed it was ok. But it was so overly salted as to be distasteful.

I made a curry for her last night but using a Vietnamese curry powder
that did not list any salt in its ingredients. I had to make a roux
with it but it was a small price to pay for not having an excess of salt
in it.

I prefer an Indian rather than an Asian curry and purchase it as needed
from a local spice shop that don't add salt to the, vindaloo iirc?
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 14:06:13 -0400, Landon > wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 10:23:51 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >> I use the McCormick "Gourmet Collection Blends" brand of Hot Madras
> >> Curry Powder and find it very tasty.
> >>
> >> Ingredients: Spices (including; Fenugreek, Coriander, Cumin, Turmeric,
> >> Red Pepper), Garlic and Sulfiting Agents.
> >>
> >> No salt listed or tasted. It is a very strong curry powder. I love it!

> >And to think I bought the fancy one from India. I guess pretty
> >packaging isn't a good indication. Always read the label.
> >http://parthenonfoods.com/images/MadrasCurry4oz08.jpg
> >Take away all that salt and it would be good.

> It doesn't look like reading the label would have helped if you read
> the one on their web site:
>
> http://parthenonfoods.com/madras-cur...4g-p-3140.html
>
> Piquant peppery and free from coloring and adulteration.
>
> Ingredients: Coriander seeds, Turmeric, Chillies, Salt, Cumin seeds,
> Fennel seeds, Black Pepper, Garlic, Ginger, Fenugreek, Cinnamon,
> Cloves, Anise, and Mustard.
>
> No salt is listed.....Yikes!

Salt is #4 on the list, which is why I said above "always read the
label". I didn't because no curry powder I'd ever come across before
had salt in it... not that I buy much curry powder. In any case, it
was an impulse buy. Serves me right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 15:36:28 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 02/04/2011 12:45 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
> > I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
> > salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
> > was so expensive.
> >

> I wonder if it was possible for it to be as bad as my green curry was
> last fall. I had never had green curry before and thought I would try
> cooking something with it. I smelled awful when cooking and it tasted
> just as bad as it smelled. I been assured that there are good green
> curry dishes to be had in That restaurants, but after that experience, I
> don't see myself trying it ever again.

Heh, I have a bottle of green curry all ready to go and I'll report
back to you after I try it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 13:14:52 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> It doesn't look like reading the label would have helped if you read
>> the one on their web site:
>>
>> http://parthenonfoods.com/madras-cur...4g-p-3140.html
>>
>> Piquant peppery and free from coloring and adulteration.
>>
>> Ingredients: Coriander seeds, Turmeric, Chillies, Salt, Cumin seeds,
>> Fennel seeds, Black Pepper, Garlic, Ginger, Fenugreek, Cinnamon,
>> Cloves, Anise, and Mustard.
>>
>> No salt is listed.....Yikes!

>Salt is #4 on the list, which is why I said above "always read the
>label". I didn't because no curry powder I'd ever come across before
>had salt in it... not that I buy much curry powder. In any case, it
>was an impulse buy. Serves me right.

Oh God! I can't believe I typed it and then didn't see the salt in the
list! OMG!

Please, don't let me do any house wiring.....what red wire? hahahahaha

I swear, I read that list at least four times and my mind skipped
right over the salt....mybad!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Kent" >
wrote:

> It's very important to go where Indian people shop, even though as I'm sure
> you know,curry isn't an Indian dish. It was created specifically for the
> British palate when they colonized India.

Curry is a generic sort of Indian dish. Also some other countries.
Curry powder, on the other hand, is not an Indian spice. Different
curries are supposed to have different spice mixtures. When the English
folk who had been in India, went back to England, they wanted a single
spice mixture that would recreate their food experience in India.
That's where English curry powder came from. Since there is no Indian
curry powder, that means that all curry powder originally came from
England.

That's my memory anyway. I'm sure it's more complicated.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-02, Dan Abel > wrote:

> That's my memory anyway. I'm sure it's more complicated.

Yes, it's more complicated, in that whitey's are actually total
morons. Although what you jes stated has been related about a
thousand times on this group in the last 10 yrs, most of the twits
here will continue to think of "curry powder" as a mono spice to be
bought off the shelf in a jar or tin like sage or thyme. Even native
Indians have thrown up their hands in resignation and will sell you a
tin//jar/packet/mix/paste/etc labeled "curry" and gladly take every
cent you are willing to plunk down.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-04-02, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > That's my memory anyway. I'm sure it's more complicated.

> Yes, it's more complicated, in that whitey's are actually total
> morons. Although what you jes stated has been related about a
> thousand times on this group in the last 10 yrs, most of the twits
> here will continue to think of "curry powder" as a mono spice to be
> bought off the shelf in a jar or tin like sage or thyme. Even native
> Indians have thrown up their hands in resignation and will sell you a
> tin//jar/packet/mix/paste/etc labeled "curry" and gladly take every
> cent you are willing to plunk down.

Well, that's how life works, nb. I can go to most stores here in the US
and get Italian herb mix, or chili powder to make chili. If I go to
Italy and ask for an Italian herb mix, they might laugh at me, at best.
If I go to Mexico and and ask for chili powder to make chili, they won't
even laugh.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-02, Dan Abel > wrote:

> Well, that's how life works, nb. I can go to most stores here in the US
> and get Italian herb mix, or chili powder to make chili. If I go to
> Italy and ask for an Italian herb mix, they might laugh at me, at best.
> If I go to Mexico and and ask for chili powder to make chili, they won't
> even laugh.

Agreed. What's frustrating, Dan, is how people come here to learn
about cooking, and then six mos later are right back here with the
same you-talkin'-ta-me? question. What's the best way to peel a hard
boiled egg? Who makes the best knife?

Howzabout, DO YOU POSSES A WORKING BRAIN? Please don't post, here,
unless you do. :|

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan wrote:

>> It's very important to go where Indian people shop, even though as I'm
>> sure you know,curry isn't an Indian dish. It was created specifically for
>> the British palate when they colonized India.

> Curry is a generic sort of Indian dish. Also some other countries. Curry
> powder, on the other hand, is not an Indian spice. Different curries are
> supposed to have different spice mixtures. When the English folk who had
> been in India, went back to England, they wanted a single spice mixture
> that would recreate their food experience in India. That's where English
> curry powder came from. Since there is no Indian curry powder, that means
> that all curry powder originally came from England.

Curry LEAVES are an entirely different story.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
HumBug! > wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 16:42:50 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> >Well, that's how life works, nb. I can go to most stores here in the US
> >and get Italian herb mix, or chili powder to make chili. If I go to
> >Italy and ask for an Italian herb mix, they might laugh at me, at best.
> >If I go to Mexico and and ask for chili powder to make chili, they won't
> >even laugh.

> What would YOU call a bunch of powdered chili peppers,
> if not chili powder??

For some reason, here in the US, they call that chile powder, not chili
powder. Chile powder is just powdered chilis, chili powder is a mixture
of spices, including chile powder, to make chili with.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:

>Chile powder is just powdered chilis, chili powder is a mixture
>of spices, including chile powder, to make chili with.

I'm happy with this distinction, if it were consistently used,
which I'm not sure it is.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 16:42:50 -0700, Dan > wrote:
>>
>>> Well, that's how life works, nb. I can go to most stores here in the US
>>> and get Italian herb mix, or chili powder to make chili. If I go to
>>> Italy and ask for an Italian herb mix, they might laugh at me, at best.
>>> If I go to Mexico and and ask for chili powder to make chili, they won't
>>> even laugh.

>> What would YOU call a bunch of powdered chili peppers,
>> if not chili powder??

> For some reason, here in the US, they call that chile powder, not chili
> powder. Chile powder is just powdered chilis, chili powder is a mixture
> of spices, including chile powder, to make chili with.

I don't think most US people differentiate by the spelling difference.
I see the terms used this way:

Chile powder - premixed stuff normally used to make chile (the stew) containing
ground chile, powdered garlic, cumin, etc.

Ground chile - Ground dried chile

Feel free to spell it "chili" of "chile" because it's not used
consistently either way in the US.

--
Mort
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mort > wrote:

>Dan Abel wrote:

>> > wrote:

>>> What would YOU call a bunch of powdered chili peppers,
>>> if not chili powder??

>> For some reason, here in the US, they call that chile powder, not chili
>> powder. Chile powder is just powdered chilis, chili powder is a mixture
>> of spices, including chile powder, to make chili with.

>I don't think most US people differentiate by the spelling difference.
>I see the terms used this way:
>
>Chile powder - premixed stuff normally used to make chile (the stew) containing
>ground chile, powdered garlic, cumin, etc.
>
>Ground chile - Ground dried chile

Count me as a person who when they say "chile powder" means ground
dried chiles, not a blend.

If I want to be completely unambiguous though, I'll say "chile molido".

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Apr 2011 21:45:01 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> Yes, it's more complicated, in that whitey's are actually total
> morons. Although what you jes stated has been related about a
> thousand times on this group in the last 10 yrs, most of the twits
> here will continue to think of "curry powder" as a mono spice to be
> bought off the shelf in a jar or tin like sage or thyme.

I'm okay with playing the moron part because Indian food isn't very
far up on my list of things that I like to eat. I also don't need any
more spices in my refrigerator; especially those that I won't be using
for anything else.... like fenugreek, for instance.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 19:26:39 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> For some reason, here in the US, they call that chile powder, not chili
> powder. Chile powder is just powdered chilis, chili powder is a mixture
> of spices, including chile powder, to make chili with.

Chili powder is another thing I'm okay with buying although I do have
a favorite brand. I have at least half a dozen chile powders sitting
in my refrigerator at any one time, but I still reach for the mix
first. Sometimes I doctor it up with more chile, cumin and/or garlic,
but starting with a mix is fine AFAIC.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 15:55:19 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> >I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
> >I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
> >salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
> >was so expensive.

> I'm no curry maven, in fact I don't much like curried dishes, but I
> love this for rice pilaf, no salt.
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...maharajah.html

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 15:55:19 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> >I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
> >I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
> >salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
> >was so expensive.

> I'm no curry maven, in fact I don't much like curried dishes, but I
> love this for rice pilaf, no salt.
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...maharajah.html

A Penzy's opened 30-45 minutes away from me a couple of years ago, but
I still haven't been there. DD has a double strength vanilla from
them that I want to get for myself, I'll check out your curry powder
too. Thanks.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
>Mort wrote:
>>Dan Abel wrote:

>>> For some reason, here in the US, they call that chile powder, not chili
>>> powder. Chile powder is just powdered chilis, chili powder is a mixture
>>> of spices, including chile powder, to make chili with.

>>I don't think most US people differentiate by the spelling difference.
>>I see the terms used this way:
>>
>>Chile powder - premixed stuff normally used to make chile (the stew) containing
>>ground chile, powdered garlic, cumin, etc.
>>
>>Ground chile - Ground dried chile

>Count me as a person who when they say "chile powder" means ground
>dried chiles, not a blend.

Why is this concept so difficult... couldn't be simpler... when single
chili peppers are ground they're labeled as to type, ie. ground
cayenne, ground ancho, ground chipotle, etc. "Chili Powder" refers to
but one thing, the spice blend that everyone associates with preparing
a bowl of red, and to season other foods with that flavor, such as
chips/dips. And if yoose cease and desist from using "chile" when
speaking culinarily you'll create far less confusion for yourself and
others. Chile is a country, not an ingredient... and I couldn't care
less that some idiots interchange the two... they're IDIOTS!

If you put "chile powder" into Google it will ask...
"Did you mean: chili powder"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 15:55:19 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>> >
>> >I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
>> >I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
>> >salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
>> >was so expensive.

>> I'm no curry maven, in fact I don't much like curried dishes, but I
>> love this for rice pilaf, no salt.
>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...maharajah.html

>A Penzy's opened 30-45 minutes away from me a couple of years ago, but
>I still haven't been there. DD has a double strength vanilla from
>them that I want to get for myself, I'll check out your curry powder
>too. Thanks.

The Penzeys maharajah curry powder is strong, I use it sparingly,
about half what Penzeys recommends. Saffron is one of those spices
that less is more... add a very litte too much and the dish develops a
moldiness about it. I wouldn't buy any of what's termed "double
strength" vanilla. Like saffron vanilla is another flavoring where
less is more... add very little too much and a bitterness develops.
And anyway, for some 25 years now modern chemistry has created vanilla
flavoring that is impossible for humans to differenciate from natural
vanilla (dogs can be trained to differenciate). It's really very
silly to spend money on natural vanilla extract anymore, and buying
vanilla beans is the height of stupidity... you're just making those
drug dealers rich. Also, heating natural vanilla alters its flavor so
using it in anything you heat (like baked goods) is really dumb...
modern vanilla flavoring is not altered nearly so much by heating. If
you're one of those diehards living in the past at least reserve your
natural vanilla for uses where it does not get heated, like whipped
cream and ice cream... remember, if you're heating vanilla beans to
extract the flavor you wasted your money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 13:03:03 -0400, Landon > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 09:45:57 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
>>> I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
>>> salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
>>> was so expensive.

>> I use the McCormick "Gourmet Collection Blends" brand of Hot Madras
>> Curry Powder and find it very tasty.
>>
>> Ingredients: Spices (including; Fenugreek, Coriander, Cumin, Turmeric,
>> Red Pepper), Garlic and Sulfiting Agents.
>>
>> No salt listed or tasted. It is a very strong curry powder. I love it!

> And to think I bought the fancy one from India. I guess pretty
> packaging isn't a good indication. Always read the label.
> http://parthenonfoods.com/images/MadrasCurry4oz08.jpg
> Take away all that salt and it would be good.

Oh, interesting. That is one of several I have used when not
tinkering with the constituent spices etc. myself.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 02/04/2011 12:45 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
>> I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
>> salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
>> was so expensive.
>>

> I wonder if it was possible for it to be as bad as my green curry was
> last fall. I had never had green curry before and thought I would try
> cooking something with it. I smelled awful when cooking and it tasted
> just as bad as it smelled. I been assured that there are good green
> curry dishes to be had in That restaurants, but after that experience, I
> don't see myself trying it ever again.

There is a world of difference between purchased green curry and
ones you put together yourself. Many years ago, I tried packaged
curries, and I can't say I liked them. I have since read
recommendations for Mae Sri brand curry and that it is better when
purchased in tubs. Also recs for Mae Ploy. (sp? for both) I
haven't gotten up my nerve to try them. What brand did you use?
For that matter, are you used to the smell of shrimp paste (kapi)?
If not, you would most likely find it offputting.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
>> I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
>> salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
>> was so expensive.

> I'm no curry maven, in fact I don't much like curried dishes, but I
> love this for rice pilaf, no salt.
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...maharajah.html

And that is the one I don't like. (I must not like saffron.) I
like their sweet curry powder--or should I say "liked"? I got a
small jar some years ago and liked it, but when I got a larger
jar, it was not the same.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 14:06:13 -0400, Landon > wrote:

>>> And to think I bought the fancy one from India. I guess pretty
>>> packaging isn't a good indication. Always read the label.
>>> http://parthenonfoods.com/images/MadrasCurry4oz08.jpg
>>> Take away all that salt and it would be good.

>> It doesn't look like reading the label would have helped if you read
>> the one on their web site:
>>
>> http://parthenonfoods.com/madras-cur...4g-p-3140.html
>>
>> Piquant peppery and free from coloring and adulteration.
>>
>> Ingredients: Coriander seeds, Turmeric, Chillies, Salt, Cumin seeds,
>> Fennel seeds, Black Pepper, Garlic, Ginger, Fenugreek, Cinnamon,
>> Cloves, Anise, and Mustard.
>>
>> No salt is listed.....Yikes!

> Salt is #4 on the list, which is why I said above "always read the
> label". I didn't because no curry powder I'd ever come across before
> had salt in it... not that I buy much curry powder. In any case, it
> was an impulse buy. Serves me right.

But what you discovered is a valuable heads up-for me, anyway.
Obviously, a curry powder that contains salt (and at #4 at that)
is not interchangeable with others. And you've made me quite
curious. Hmmm. Could I never have cooked a recipe with this
brand? I may just have used it in eggs or such.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Landon wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 13:14:52 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>> It doesn't look like reading the label would have helped if you read
>>> the one on their web site:
>>>
>>> http://parthenonfoods.com/madras-cur...4g-p-3140.html
>>>
>>> Piquant peppery and free from coloring and adulteration.
>>>
>>> Ingredients: Coriander seeds, Turmeric, Chillies, Salt, Cumin seeds,
>>> Fennel seeds, Black Pepper, Garlic, Ginger, Fenugreek, Cinnamon,
>>> Cloves, Anise, and Mustard.
>>>
>>> No salt is listed.....Yikes!

>> Salt is #4 on the list, which is why I said above "always read the
>> label". I didn't because no curry powder I'd ever come across before
>> had salt in it... not that I buy much curry powder. In any case, it
>> was an impulse buy. Serves me right.

> Oh God! I can't believe I typed it and then didn't see the salt in the
> list! OMG!
>
> Please, don't let me do any house wiring.....what red wire? hahahahaha
>
> I swear, I read that list at least four times and my mind skipped
> right over the salt....mybad!

LOL! I can see myself doing something similar.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>
>>> It's very important to go where Indian people shop, even though as I'm
>>> sure you know,curry isn't an Indian dish. It was created specifically for
>>> the British palate when they colonized India.

>> Curry is a generic sort of Indian dish. Also some other countries. Curry
>> powder, on the other hand, is not an Indian spice. Different curries are
>> supposed to have different spice mixtures. When the English folk who had
>> been in India, went back to England, they wanted a single spice mixture
>> that would recreate their food experience in India. That's where English
>> curry powder came from. Since there is no Indian curry powder, that means
>> that all curry powder originally came from England.

> Curry LEAVES are an entirely different story.
>
> Bob

Yes...

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

HumBug! wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 16:42:50 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>> Well, that's how life works, nb. I can go to most stores here in the US
>> and get Italian herb mix, or chili powder to make chili. If I go to
>> Italy and ask for an Italian herb mix, they might laugh at me, at best.
>> If I go to Mexico and and ask for chili powder to make chili, they won't
>> even laugh.

> What would YOU call a bunch of powdered chili peppers,
> if not chili powder??

Chile powder? Better yet, ancho powder, chipotle powder, etc.
--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> HumBug! > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 16:42:50 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
>>
>>> Well, that's how life works, nb. I can go to most stores here in the US
>>> and get Italian herb mix, or chili powder to make chili. If I go to
>>> Italy and ask for an Italian herb mix, they might laugh at me, at best.
>>> If I go to Mexico and and ask for chili powder to make chili, they won't
>>> even laugh.

>> What would YOU call a bunch of powdered chili peppers,
>> if not chili powder??

> For some reason, here in the US, they call that chile powder, not chili
> powder. Chile powder is just powdered chilis, chili powder is a mixture
> of spices, including chile powder, to make chili with.

Erm, hoping I don't screw this up... Chile powder is just
powdered chilEs,...
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 2 Apr 2011 21:45:01 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's more complicated, in that whitey's are actually total
>> morons. Although what you jes stated has been related about a
>> thousand times on this group in the last 10 yrs, most of the twits
>> here will continue to think of "curry powder" as a mono spice to be
>> bought off the shelf in a jar or tin like sage or thyme.

> I'm okay with playing the moron part because Indian food isn't very
> far up on my list of things that I like to eat. I also don't need any
> more spices in my refrigerator; especially those that I won't be using
> for anything else.... like fenugreek, for instance.

Oh?! No asafoetida then? You don't know what you are missing.
Just kidding. It really stinks.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2011 2:00 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On 2 Apr 2011 21:45:01 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it's more complicated, in that whitey's are actually total
>>> morons. Although what you jes stated has been related about a
>>> thousand times on this group in the last 10 yrs, most of the twits
>>> here will continue to think of "curry powder" as a mono spice to be
>>> bought off the shelf in a jar or tin like sage or thyme.

>> I'm okay with playing the moron part because Indian food isn't very
>> far up on my list of things that I like to eat. I also don't need any
>> more spices in my refrigerator; especially those that I won't be using
>> for anything else.... like fenugreek, for instance.
>>

> Oh?! No asafoetida then? You don't know what you are missing. Just
> kidding. It really stinks.

For sure but only when uncooked. It does add nice flavor when cooked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/04/2011 1:50 PM, Jean B. wrote:

>> I wonder if it was possible for it to be as bad as my green curry was
>> last fall. I had never had green curry before and thought I would try
>> cooking something with it. I smelled awful when cooking and it tasted
>> just as bad as it smelled. I been assured that there are good green
>> curry dishes to be had in That restaurants, but after that experience,
>> I don't see myself trying it ever again.

> There is a world of difference between purchased green curry and ones
> you put together yourself. Many years ago, I tried packaged curries, and
> I can't say I liked them. I have since read recommendations for Mae Sri
> brand curry and that it is better when purchased in tubs. Also recs for
> Mae Ploy. (sp? for both) I haven't gotten up my nerve to try them. What
> brand did you use? For that matter, are you used to the smell of shrimp
> paste (kapi)? If not, you would most likely find it offputting.

I am quite sure that curry made fresh by a home good home cook would be
superior to paste or powder that I can buy. I use curry paste and curry
powder quite often and have pretty good results with it. That is why I
was surprised that the green curry paste led to such a disgusting dish.
If I had not paid good money for those shrimp I might have just thrown
the stuff out.... and I mean outside. I would not want that stink
lingering in the house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2011 1:50 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 02/04/2011 12:45 PM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> I used my Madras curry powder for the first time last night. UGH!
>>> I've never thought about double checking the label on curry because
>>> salt isn't ever listed... well it is on this one. Gag! Too bad it
>>> was so expensive.
>>>

>> I wonder if it was possible for it to be as bad as my green curry was
>> last fall. I had never had green curry before and thought I would try
>> cooking something with it. I smelled awful when cooking and it tasted
>> just as bad as it smelled. I been assured that there are good green
>> curry dishes to be had in That restaurants, but after that experience,
>> I don't see myself trying it ever again.

> There is a world of difference between purchased green curry and ones
> you put together yourself. Many years ago, I tried packaged curries, and
> I can't say I liked them. I have since read recommendations for Mae Sri
> brand curry and that it is better when purchased in tubs. Also recs for
> Mae Ploy. (sp? for both) I haven't gotten up my nerve to try them. What
> brand did you use? For that matter, are you used to the smell of shrimp
> paste (kapi)? If not, you would most likely find it offputting.

Not Dave but I buy the tubs of Thai style curry mostly because
lemongrass doesn't grow here and isn't common in stores and galangal is
hard to find. I buy the Maesri brand 14 oz tubs.

For other curries I just use whatever spices are needed (coriander,
ginger, turmeric, cumin, fennel, pepper etc) to assemble.

Dunn disappointment lleichtman Wine 4 28-05-2011 04:52 AM
A big SF Chinatown disappointment Space Cowboy Tea 0 27-09-2010 02:07 PM
Cider disappointment Curly Sue General Cooking 10 21-11-2005 01:41 PM
Pleasant disappointment? Andy General Cooking 49 11-05-2005 07:22 PM
TN: St-Em disappointment, dry Furmint, more Dale Williams Wine 3 11-06-2004 07:50 PM