Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Cassoulet, w/Bergerac, Madiran, etc

Thursday Betsy made corned beef and cabbage, a dish that I
tradtionally serve with Riesling (what, I ask, if the dish if not a
riff on choucroute?). Wine was the 2009 AJ Adam "Hofberg" Kabinett
(Mosel). Clean apple and peach fruit, big, powerful for Kabinett. Good
length, laser pointer acidity, mineral. Very very nice. B+/A-

Friday was another table d'hote event by my friends Alex and Fred.
Main course was cassoulet, so I picked out a dependable mag of Madiran
and a very iffy old bottle of Fronton, and decided to double decant
for sediment. Mag smelled fine, and I packed it to go. The Fronton I
decided out of politeness to leave behind

1987 Ch. Bellevue La Foret (Cotes du Frontonnais)
No one in their right mind ages Negrette 20+ years, but this was $5 as
a shipping filler. I occasionally like to try longshots. Once in a
blue moon they pay off, this wasn't one of those. This wine is passed
on! This wine is no more! This wine has ceased to be! This wine
expired and gone to meet its maker! This wine's a stiff! Bereft of
life, this wine rests in peace! This wine's kicked the bucket, THIS IS
AN EX-WINE! F

So we get to the dinner, during the stand around meet'n'greet there's
beautful little glasses of gravlax with mild pink peppercorns, the
wine is the
NV Delacroix (Vin mousseux de qualite) . A Chardonnay/Chenin blend,
just a hint of RS, apple cider, rather simple but I've had far worse
cheap bubblies. B-

First sitdown course was a chilled zucchini soup, served with the
2008
Olivier Morin Bourgogne-Chitry. More minerally than fruity, flinty and
chalky, good acidity, fresh. Good match to cut the cream of the soup,
nice wine. B

Main course was delicious, duck and garlic sausage cassoulet. Fred
served the 2007 Ch. Payral (Bergerac). Fairly round, fresh black plum
fruit, just a hint of earth. B-

Ned had also brought a bonus wine, the 2005 Albrecht Pinot Noir.
Darker and bulkier than I expect for Alsace PN, nice fruit but with a
surprising new oak note and a funny celery seed edge. B-

The magnum was the 1996 Ch. Montus "Cuvee Prestige" Madiran. Solid
black fruit, a bit of barnyard, mostly integrated oak, earth. Not
glossy, drinking well from mag. B+

Dessert was creme brulee, and I passed around a bottle of the 2003
Coutet (Barsac). Peaches and tangerines, honey, large framed but
pretty good acidity considering the year. Nice to have an occasion to
open a full bottle of Sauternes. B+

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > writes:

> Thursday Betsy made corned beef and cabbage, a dish that I
> tradtionally serve with Riesling (what, I ask, if the dish if not a
> riff on choucroute?).

_Exactly_ what I was thinking this St. Patrick's day.

Mine was a 2007 Selbach-Oster Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett
trocken. Mineral, floral and green apple-y and very enjoyable to
drink!

> Wine was the 2009 AJ Adam "Hofberg" Kabinett
> (Mosel). Clean apple and peach fruit, big, powerful for Kabinett. Good
> length, laser pointer acidity, mineral. Very very nice. B+/A-
>
> Friday was another table d'hote event by my friends Alex and Fred.
> Main course was cassoulet, so I picked out a dependable mag of Madiran
> and a very iffy old bottle of Fronton, and decided to double decant
> for sediment. Mag smelled fine, and I packed it to go. The Fronton I
> decided out of politeness to leave behind
>
> 1987 Ch. Bellevue La Foret (Cotes du Frontonnais)
> No one in their right mind ages Negrette 20+ years, but this was $5 as
> a shipping filler. I occasionally like to try longshots. Once in a
> blue moon they pay off, this wasn't one of those. This wine is passed
> on! This wine is no more! This wine has ceased to be! This wine
> expired and gone to meet its maker! This wine's a stiff! Bereft of
> life, this wine rests in peace! This wine's kicked the bucket, THIS IS
> AN EX-WINE! F

No... It's just asleep!
Posted to alt.food.wine

Doug Anderson wrote:

>> 1987 Ch. Bellevue La Foret (Cotes du Frontonnais)
>> No one in their right mind ages Negrette 20+ years, but this was $5 as
>> a shipping filler. I occasionally like to try longshots. Once in a
>> blue moon they pay off, this wasn't one of those. This wine is passed
>> on! This wine is no more! This wine has ceased to be! This wine
>> expired and gone to meet its maker! This wine's a stiff! Bereft of
>> life, this wine rests in peace! This wine's kicked the bucket, THIS IS
>> AN EX-WINE! F

> No... It's just asleep!

Beautiful bouquet, the Ch. Bellevue.

Mark Lipton

Madiran Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 3 26-01-2015 10:54 PM
TN: Burgs, Bdx, Loires, Alsace, Ribera Sacra,and Bergerac DaleW Wine 0 19-04-2014 08:30 PM
TN: Bunch of Tuscan IGTs, plus Burgs, El Dorado, Bergerac, etc DaleW Wine 2 13-03-2013 12:13 PM
TN: cassoulet w/RIeslings, Madiran, Bdx, Burg, Oz, and more DaleW Wine 2 25-03-2010 04:20 PM
Madiran Ian Hoare Wine 6 18-12-2003 04:17 PM