Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burgs, Bdx, Loires, Alsace, Ribera Sacra,and Bergerac

No seder invites this year, so Betsy made lamb chops, matzoh ball soup, and asparagus vinaigrette for the second night. A bottle and a half of Bordeaux were opened

2005 Ch. Ferrand Lartique (St Emilion) 375 ml
Oaky and unctuous, kirsch syrup, yet a bit hollow, not my style at all. Half bottle not finished over 2 nights C/C+

2007 Ch. Plince (Pomerol)
Plum and berries, easy tannins, pleasant enough. B/B-

A long Wednesday meant limited cooking energy, but I grilled Korean marinated chicken (not a recipe, Betsy actually got the pre-marinated chicken at HMart) while she made brown rice and long beans in a hoisin sauce. Wine was the 2012 Costes Bergerac rose -light, fresh strawberry, appealing. B

Thursday was posole (the corn from Rancho Gordo, totally delicious) with 2011 Ventura Do Burato Ribeira Sacra. Fun and juicy, no apparent oak, crisp minerally finish. Fine value. B+/B

Last night David brought a chef friend from Mast Brothers home for dinner, and we invited some other friends to join us. Betsy made chips and tomatillo-guacamole, and we greeted folks with a white and a bubbly

NV Thierry Germain "Bulles de Roche" Saumur Brut
Green apple, wool, citrus. Quite tandy acids, crisp and long. B+

2012 Huet "Clos du Bourg" Vouvray Sec
Continues to be my favorite of the three Huets in this controversial vintage, maybe not a classic but a very tasty bottle for a difficult vintage. Good acids, hint of sugar, lemon and lanolin. B+

Main course was a chicken fricassee with shallots and tomato, accompanied by miso-creamed kale and a brown rice/lentil combo. We sampled some Burgundies:
2011 Maison Ilan "Robardelles" Volnay 1er Cru
Pretty tight at first, opens gradually through the night, red cherries, nice balance of fruit, tannin, and acid, pretty more than powerful. Needs time.. B+

2001 Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
Probably the table fave, and mine too. Medium to full bodied, sappy, black cherry fruit with spice and earth. Very good length, drinking very well. A-/B+

1993 Darviot-Perrin"La Gigotte" Volnay 1er Cru
Medium bodied, red fruit and a little herb, tangy, drinking well. B

Lucas and David had brought some bon bons (whiskey and strawberry ganache) which sent the dessert-y people into fits of ecstasy. . We also had fruit and a half bottle of the 2002 Schoffit "Rangen Clos St. Theobald" Tokay Pinot Gris Vendange Tardive. Super-ripe peaches, decent acids, good finish, some others truly love. B/B-

Fun night.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.