Posted to alt.food.wine

Default "...Very few wines gain appreciably with age..."

"aesthete8" > wrote in message
> So said a wine critic recently.
>
> Agree? Disagree?

Glorious quote by Roland Topor, first in French (but I add a translation
further down):

"Une bonne vieille bouteille de vin est aussi rare, aussi miraculeuse qu'un
vieux pas con. ça arrive, mais il vaut mieux ne pas trop y compter."

"A good old bottle of wine is so rare, so miraculous as an old guy who is
not silly. It might happen, but do not count on it".

Food for thought...

Yves

Posted to alt.food.wine

Well, here's my story.

Best friend always complained that I never had any cabernet around
(don't favor it-- too tannic). So I bought 2 cases of '94 Mondavi cab
(the regular stuff, around $16/bottle). This was in '96 or whenever
the '94s came out.

Shortly thereafter my friend moved to Texas (I live in NY). So I had
the wine sitting around a long time, and opened it only when he came
to visit or I went there.

So I've been sampling the same wine for a long time (I said I don't
favor it, I never said I won't drink it).

The tannins have subsided and it's a very different wine a decade or
more later.

I'd imagine a lot of cabs would react similarly, if stored properly.