Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Safe Metal Levels in Wines From Italy, Brazil, Argentina

Seen in passing:

Safe Metal Levels in Wines From Italy, Brazil, Argentina
Wines from three of the 15 nations studied had safe levels of heavy metals:
Italy, Brazil, and Argentina.

Based on the maximum THQs for wines from each nation, here's the list of the
worst offenders:

a.. Hungary
b.. Slovakia
c.. France
d.. Austria
e.. Spain
f.. Germany
g.. Portugal
h.. Greece
i.. Czech Republic
j.. Jordan
k.. Macedonia
l.. Serbia
Hungary and Slovakia had maximum potential THQ values over 350. France,
Austria, Spain, Germany, and Portugal -- nations that import large
quantities of wine to the U.S. -- had maximum potential THQ values over 100.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Borg Master" > skrev i melding
> Hungary and Slovakia had maximum potential THQ values over 350. France,
> Austria, Spain, Germany, and Portugal -- nations that import large
> quantities of wine to the U.S. >

You cannot import anything to another country..., you export to it...

:-) Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

Anders wrote on Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:55:45 +0200:

> "Borg Master" > skrev i melding
>> Hungary and Slovakia had maximum potential THQ values over
>> 350. France, Austria, Spain, Germany, and Portugal -- nations
>> that import large quantities of wine to the U.S. >

> You cannot import anything to another country..., you export
> to it...

> :-) Anders

Justified grammatical quibbles aside :-), I think I will be staying away
from Old World Wines. You can do very well and save a lot of money by
drinking US, Argentinian, Chilean, New Zealand and Australian wines.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Seen in passing:
>
> Safe Metal Levels in Wines From Italy, Brazil, Argentina
> Wines from three of the 15 nations studied had safe levels of heavy
> metals:
> Italy, Brazil, and Argentina.
>
> Based on the maximum THQs for wines from each nation, here's the list of
> the
> worst offenders:
>
> a.. Hungary
> b.. Slovakia
> c.. France
> d.. Austria
> e.. Spain
> f.. Germany
> g.. Portugal
> h.. Greece
> i.. Czech Republic
> j.. Jordan
> k.. Macedonia
> l.. Serbia
> Hungary and Slovakia had maximum potential THQ values over 350. France,
> Austria, Spain, Germany, and Portugal -- nations that import large
> quantities of wine to the U.S. -- had maximum potential THQ values over
> 100.

Is there a source for these figures online?

Martin

Posted to alt.food.wine

And South Africa too? Have had 3 different the last 5 days.
Anders

"James Silverton" > skrev i melding
> Anders wrote on Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:55:45 +0200:
>

>> "Borg Master" > skrev i melding
>>> Hungary and Slovakia had maximum potential THQ values over
>>> 350. France, Austria, Spain, Germany, and Portugal -- nations
>>> that import large quantities of wine to the U.S. >

>> You cannot import anything to another country..., you export
>> to it...

>> :-) Anders

> Justified grammatical quibbles aside :-), I think I will be staying away
> from Old World Wines. You can do very well and save a lot of money by
> drinking US, Argentinian, Chilean, New Zealand and Australian wines.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 26, 4:42*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Anders *wrote *on Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:55:45 +0200:
>
> > "Borg Master" > skrev i melding
> >> Hungary and Slovakia had maximum potential THQ values over
> >> 350. France, Austria, Spain, Germany, and Portugal -- nations
> >> that import large quantities of wine to the U.S. >

> > You cannot import anything to another country..., you export
> > to it...
> > :-) Anders

> Justified grammatical quibbles aside :-), I think I will be staying away
> from Old World Wines. You can do very well and save a lot of money by
> drinking US, Argentinian, Chilean, New Zealand and Australian wines.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Not exactly a study that merits any decision making. If article below
is correct, they studied 16 wines- one from each country, with no clue
how wine was chosen.
As noted, they used a standard developed for seafood, which may or may
not be applicable to wine. As since they didn't test US, Chilean, NZ,
or Australia, using this study to determine where to drink from is a
bit ....um....speculative,.

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeat...r-Experts_4444
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Borg Master" > wrote in message
> Seen in passing:
>
> Safe Metal Levels in Wines From Italy, Brazil, Argentina
> Wines from three of the 15 nations studied had safe levels of heavy
> metals:
> Italy, Brazil, and Argentina.
>
> Based on the maximum THQs for wines from each nation, here's the list of
> the
> worst offenders:
>
> a.. Hungary
> b.. Slovakia
> c.. France
> d.. Austria
> e.. Spain
> f.. Germany
> g.. Portugal
> h.. Greece
> i.. Czech Republic
> j.. Jordan
> k.. Macedonia
> l.. Serbia
> Hungary and Slovakia had maximum potential THQ values over 350. France,
> Austria, Spain, Germany, and Portugal -- nations that import large
> quantities of wine to the U.S. -- had maximum potential THQ values over
> 100.

These data are irrelevant as you haven't posted the maximum allowed level
for each heavy metal, let alone for the combined. The European wines would
be well within the safety limits given the power of the Eurocrats!
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Anders wrote on Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:55:45 +0200:
>

>> "Borg Master" > skrev i melding
>>> Hungary and Slovakia had maximum potential THQ values over
>>> 350. France, Austria, Spain, Germany, and Portugal -- nations
>>> that import large quantities of wine to the U.S. >

>> You cannot import anything to another country..., you export
>> to it...
>> :-) Anders

> Justified grammatical quibbles aside :-), I think I will be staying away
> from Old World Wines. You can do very well and save a lot of money by
> drinking US, Argentinian, Chilean, New Zealand and Australian wines.

Heavy metals can become a long term health risk if one drinks wine every
day, so it is safer and wise to skip the worse offenders.
B.M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/28/10 4:46 AM, Mike Tommasi wrote:

> In logic this post constitutes a hasty generalisation. The fact that one
> bottle from Hungary is higher in metals, does NOT imply that hungarian
> wine is dangerous.

But feel free to send all your bottles of Tokaji Aszu, preferably 6
putts and up, to me for careful... er... analysis.

Mark Lipton
(getting to the Eszencia of the problem)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 27, 3:14*pm, "Borg Master" > wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in message

> > Anders *wrote *on Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:55:45 +0200:

> >> "Borg Master" > skrev i melding
> >> You cannot import anything to another country..., you export
> >> to it...
> >> :-) Anders

> > Justified grammatical quibbles aside :-), I think I will be staying away
> > from Old World Wines. You can do very well and save a lot of money by
> > drinking US, Argentinian, Chilean, New Zealand and Australian wines.

> Heavy metals can become a long term health risk if one drinks wine every
> day, so it is safer and wise to skip *the worse offenders.
> B.M.

But how are you determining worst offenders? From this report
( published in an "online journal", not sure if peer reviewed) There's
no clue WHAT wines were studied. Maybe one wine from Italy is free,
but another loaded. And since the study totally ignored US, NZ, Au,
are you making assumption they're somehow free- without any results?

The article I quoted had comments from someone who actually tests wine
for metals for the LCBO:

"We buy wines from Slovakia, Hungary and the Czech Republic, as well
as the usual suspects from the Old World—France, Italy, Greece," said
Soleas, who has degrees in clinical biochemistry and enology. "We buy
from 68 countries, and rarely find dangerously high levels of metals.
Maybe if we find arsenic with lead, then it's due to the use of the
two in combination in the 1980s and '90s when it was an approved
fungicide. You still get remnants of it, but it hasn't been used for
10 to 15 years. It's rare and we reject it."

Soleas said he found the study results to be "wishy-washy" based on
his experience testing wines for heavy metals and expressed
disappointment in both the way the results were published and the
extended coverage in the press. The levels of heavy metals the
scientists found, he added, are actually lower than what is allowable
in tested water reservoirs across the western world.

"Drinking water is sometimes higher in metals than these wines,"
Soleas said. "I'm not trying to minimize the fact that contaminants
get into wine, but they are targeting the wrong contaminants. Most
people will drink two glass of wine a night, but eight glasses of
water per day, and if they take a multivitamin tablet they get two
milligrams of manganese on top of that, so how is the metal obtained
from wine going to kill anyone?"

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 28, 1:08*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Oct 27, 3:14*pm, "Borg Master" > wrote:

> > > Justified grammatical quibbles aside :-), I think I will be staying away
> > > from Old World Wines. You can do very well and save a lot of money by
> > > drinking US, Argentinian, Chilean, New Zealand and Australian wines.

> > Heavy metals can become a long term health risk if one drinks wine every
> > day, so it is safer and wise to skip *the worse offenders.
> > B.M.

> But how are you determining worst offenders? From this report
> ( published in an "online journal", not sure if peer reviewed) There's
> no clue WHAT wines were studied. Maybe one wine *from Italy is free,
> but another loaded. And since the study totally ignored US, NZ, Au,
> are you making assumption they're somehow free- without any results?
>
> The article I quoted had comments from someone who actually tests wine
> for metals for the LCBO:
>
> "We buy wines from Slovakia, Hungary and the Czech Republic, as well
> as the usual suspects from the Old World—France, Italy, Greece," said
> Soleas, who has degrees in clinical biochemistry and enology. "We buy
> from 68 countries, and rarely find dangerously high levels of metals.
> Maybe if we find arsenic with lead, then it's due to the use of the
> two in combination in the 1980s and '90s when it was an approved
> fungicide. You still get remnants of it, but it hasn't been used for
> 10 to 15 years. It's rare and we reject it."
>
> Soleas said he found the study results to be "wishy-washy" based on
> his experience testing wines for heavy metals and expressed
> disappointment in both the way the results were published and the
> extended coverage in the press. The levels of heavy metals the
> scientists found, he added, are actually lower than what is allowable
> in tested water reservoirs across the western world.
>
> "Drinking water is sometimes higher in metals than these wines,"
> Soleas said. "I'm not trying to minimize the fact that contaminants
> get into wine, but they are targeting the wrong contaminants. Most
> people will drink two glass of wine a night, but eight glasses of
> water per day, and if they take a multivitamin tablet they get two
> milligrams of manganese on top of that, so how is the metal obtained
> from wine going to kill anyone?"- Hide quoted text -

This is why I still love reading AFW. So many folks with a real
passion for and the skills set to debunk myths and innuendo.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > wrote in message
On Oct 28, 1:08 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Oct 27, 3:14 pm, "Borg Master" > wrote:

> > > Justified grammatical quibbles aside :-), I think I will be staying
> > > away
> > > from Old World Wines. You can do very well and save a lot of money by
> > > drinking US, Argentinian, Chilean, New Zealand and Australian wines.

> > Heavy metals can become a long term health risk if one drinks wine every
> > day, so it is safer and wise to skip the worse offenders.
> > B.M.

> But how are you determining worst offenders? From this report
> ( published in an "online journal", not sure if peer reviewed) There's
> no clue WHAT wines were studied. Maybe one wine from Italy is free,
> but another loaded. And since the study totally ignored US, NZ, Au,
> are you making assumption they're somehow free- without any results?
>
> The article I quoted had comments from someone who actually tests wine
> for metals for the LCBO:
>
> "We buy wines from Slovakia, Hungary and the Czech Republic, as well
> as the usual suspects from the Old World—France, Italy, Greece," said
> Soleas, who has degrees in clinical biochemistry and enology. "We buy
> from 68 countries, and rarely find dangerously high levels of metals.
> Maybe if we find arsenic with lead, then it's due to the use of the
> two in combination in the 1980s and '90s when it was an approved
> fungicide. You still get remnants of it, but it hasn't been used for
> 10 to 15 years. It's rare and we reject it."
>
> Soleas said he found the study results to be "wishy-washy" based on
> his experience testing wines for heavy metals and expressed
> disappointment in both the way the results were published and the
> extended coverage in the press. The levels of heavy metals the
> scientists found, he added, are actually lower than what is allowable
> in tested water reservoirs across the western world.
>
> "Drinking water is sometimes higher in metals than these wines,"
> Soleas said. "I'm not trying to minimize the fact that contaminants
> get into wine, but they are targeting the wrong contaminants. Most
> people will drink two glass of wine a night, but eight glasses of
> water per day, and if they take a multivitamin tablet they get two
> milligrams of manganese on top of that, so how is the metal obtained
> from wine going to kill anyone?"- Hide quoted text -

~This is why I still love reading AFW. So many folks with a real
~passion for and the skills set to debunk myths and innuendo.

I say it's still worth considering, it's the accumulative effect over many
years that can cause the problems.
Parkinson's disease, cancer, etc.
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fo...-found-in-wine
"If you buy a bottle of wine, the only thing it tells you on the label is
the amount of alcohol. I like the idea of labeling wines with the amounts of
heavy metals they contain. Many wines don't have these metals. So let
customers vote by choice whether they want the heavy metals", Naughton said
to WebMD."

So if a country has a lower contamination rate its seems sensible to
purchase wines overall from those countries.

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-ne...se-health-risk
And sensibly...."Professor Declan Naughton, co-author of the report, called
for consumers to be made aware of the risks. ‘Levels of metal ions should
appear on wine labels,’ he said, ‘along with the introduction of further
steps to remove key hazardous metal ions during wine production."
Wise move!

B.M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> On 27/10/2010 21:14, Borg Master wrote:

>>> Justified grammatical quibbles aside :-), I think I will be staying
>>> away from Old World Wines. You can do very well and save a lot of
>>> money by drinking US, Argentinian, Chilean, New Zealand and Australian
>>> wines.

>> Heavy metals can become a long term health risk if one drinks wine every
>> day, so it is safer and wise to skip the worse offenders.
>> B.M.

> Water contains heavy metals too.
>
> In logic this post constitutes a hasty generalisation. The fact that one
> bottle from Hungary is higher in metals, does NOT imply that hungarian
> wine is dangerous.

Perhaps they will try another bottle or two [or maybe they did?] and just
see what the result's are.