Dale Williams

Default TN: Knoll, Canon de Brem, VF Lasira, Pat. Green

With roast lemon-herb chicken and potatoes, the 2002 Knoll Loibner Grüner
Veltliner Federspiel (Wachau). Floral nose, tasty ripe white, decent finish,
nice body. A little lighter on the acidity than I hoped and expected, and not
the most Grüner-ish of Grüners. I had to really stretch to make myself think I
was getting a whiff of white pepper, and there was none of that sweetpea/lentil
note I think of as another varietal characteristic. Good wine, but at $20 only
about $10 less than I've generally paid for the Knoll "Kreutles" Smaragd, which
is more GVish and more of a "wow" wine. B/B+ though

Tuesday I had to make a brief talk at a film premiere in Tribeca (at least I
was able to duck into Chambers St beforehand), got home after 11 starved. Betsy
had made her grandmother's beef stew with prunes and apricots, and I greedily
dug in. I had left her a bottle to cook with, and had a small glass. The 2002
VF Lasira (Costičres de Nîmes) shows it's Syrah base, with deep blackberry
fruit, peppery spice, and some slightly rough tannins. Not as easy as the
regular Vieille Ferme has been, but funner. For about $8 I'll buy more. As a
bonus, screwcap! B/B+

Friends came for dinner Wednesday, Betsy made mushroom risotto. As she stirred,
we chatted and sipped wine. The Lasira was showing well on day too, and my
non-geek friend wrote down name so he'd remember. The wine in the risotto was
the 2003 A to Z Pinot Gris (Oregon), decent $10 wine with a mango/lemon
profile. B

With the mushroom, the 2001 Patricia Green "Four Winds" Pinot Noir. Nice
earthiness and smoke complemented the 'shrooms, ripish raspberry and black
cherry fruit. Nice pleasant wine that probably could have used a couple more
years in the cellar. B+

Eating solo on Thursday, I have the leftover stew, and open the 2001 Canon de
Brem (Canon-Fronsac). Tight, hard, oaky, ugly. Shows that even early drinkers
need some time. 2 hours later a much different wine, more open, the oak showing
a more vanilla-ey side rather than just harsh wood tannins, some dark berry
fruit. Still not a charming wine, a okay internationally styled red. I'll hold
my other bottles for a few years, w/o high hopes. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

TN: the Canon canon (1952-2006) DaleW Wine 6 04-05-2010 06:24 PM
TN: 2003 Canon-Fronsac for $9.99 DaleW Wine 0 07-08-2007 01:35 PM
Chateau Canon Bill S. Wine 1 22-01-2007 01:25 AM
TN: Knoll, Chevillon, Haut Marbuzet Mark Lipton Wine 1 30-05-2006 04:43 PM
Cedar Knoll Vineyard 2002 Cab beernuts Wine 1 12-05-2006 03:38 PM