Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Knoll, Chevillon, Haut Marbuzet

Here are my notes on some wines opened this past week:

2004 Knoll GV Loibner Federspiel
n: minerals, green, a touch of stone fruit
p: crisp, light bodied, refreshing, good minerality, more of that green
element and a delicate finish

With the arrival of summer-like heat here, the whites of summer are
coming out of the cellar. This wine was light enough for service as an
aperitif, but had enough going on to make it great with food. I'm glad
I have more of this.

2004 Luneau-Papin Pierre de la Grange Muscadet Sevre-et-Maine
n: stones, citrus
p: crisp entry, light body, wonderful definition of flavors, long finish

Another favorite in these parts, and another wine that can be drunk
alone or (in our case) with food. Again, I'm glad that I have more of this.

1989 Chevillon Nuits St. George
n: initially reticent and funky, becoming deeper, fruitier, smokier and
more intense with time
p: initially thin, becoming fleshier and fruitier with time; constantly
improving over the hour it was open

Another bottle recently purchased at a charity auction and another
pleasant surprise. This 17-year old village-level Burg was still quite
alive and surprisingly powerful for an '89. I wish I had more of this,
but it sure lets me know that I need to sit tight on my '99 and '02
Chevillons.

1995 Haut Marbuzet
n: rich, deep, morels, berry fruit, pencil lead
p: full bodied, rich fruit, fully resolved tannins, good balance, no
overt oakiness and long finish

Another wine purchased at the recent charity auction. This wasn't as
much of a surprise as the Chevillon, but we were pleased to see that
it's still a youthful wine and had plenty of what we look for in
Bordeaux. A great match with broiled lamb with morels. I'm glad that
we have more of this.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for notes. I see CSW has the Knoll, I might have to grab when I
pick up some wines this week.

Good showing for the Chevillon, but I'm not surprised. An '83 Chevillon
village was shockingly good a few months ago.