Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Loire Whites

Loire notes

1993 Dom. Closel Savenierres Clos de Papillon – this wine has aged
beautifully. Now showing some colour, it had a waxy apricot nose,
seemed a little hot in the mouth and had excellent length. Worth
waiting a dozen years for. My last bottle.

2008 Dom. Cailbourdin Pouilly Fume Le Cris – lemon, grapefruit and a
hint of grass in the nose spot this fairly easily as sauv blanc, and
it seemed soft in midpalate but had good acidity at the end. Tasty.

2008 Pascal Cotat Sancerre La Grande Cote – clear wine with a light
citrus and a bit later mineral nose, nice and clean.

2006 Vatan Sancerre Clos La Neore – very odd skunk (that is skunk, not
skunky as it immediately put us in mind of road kill) nose at first
but clean and bright in the mouth with a long clean finish. Not sure
what that nose was all about – I’ve never smelled anything similar in
a Loire wine before.

2006 Francois Cotat Sancerre La Grande Cote – similar to the 2008
Pascal Cotat but with a bit more body and length.

2008 Francois Cotat SancerreLes Montes Damne – good nose with stone
and melon, some sweetness on entry and good length, better than the
2006.

1997 Prince Poniatowski Vouvray Clos de l’Avenir Vouvray Moelleux –
very pleasant off dry wine with some colour and given the age a bit
less sweet than I expected it started out. One of my favourites.

2006 Huet Haut Lieu Clos de Bourg Premier Trie – zowie! Not much
colour but then a really nice spiced apricot and botrytis nose and a
smooth and balanced wine, carrying far more RS than I’d have believed
(62 g/l). Excellent.

2003 Dom. Jo Pithon Quarts de Chaume Les Varennes – a slightly
maderized nose, darkening colour, smooth with good length.