Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: couple '88s, plus ESJ, Guion, Savary

Betsy made a summer version of the old Le Cirque pasta primavera
Monday, served with the 2008 Edmunds St John "Bone Jolly" Gamay rose.
A variety of red fleshed fruits- cherries, strawberries, watermelon-
but more centered on some mineral and herb notes. Refreshing, no signs
of reduction in my bottle, clean. B+
*
Yesterday was Dave's 22nd, and we had his girlfriend, another couple
of his friends, his aunt, and his cousins over for dinner. She tried
to make some of David's favorite foods while paying attention to
other's eating habits. As people arrived, we had out a simple platter
with soppresata, hummus, cheese, etc. Just before we sat down I
planned on a quick toast, with some cava I had sent to NH with Betsy
that wasn't used. Except when I opened something red came out-
apparently when I made her concert week goodie box I had mistaken a
Lambrusco for a Cava with a similar dark label. Too bad I didn't have
out with the soppresata! NV Venturini Baldini "Roncolo"*Lambrusco. Off-
dry, pretty froth, blackberry jam and red plum. Simple and easy. B/B-

First course was lobster rolls, with the 2008 Savary "Fourchaume"
Chablis 1er Cru. Nice hefty Chablis, apples, lemon, and chalk, classic
and appealing. B+

Main course was a stroganoff salad, basically a room temp version of
beef stroganoff (but Betsy made a large bowl to which she didn't add
the grilled skirt steak as we had 4 non beef eaters) along with an
absolutely smashing vegetable torta (squash, eggplant, asiago, tomato,
etc) and
salad.

1988 Ch. Hortevie (St Julien)
I had a backup (R-Segla), but this was surprisingly dark and fresh
looking as decanted. I was worried it would show it's age, but it had
handled 22 years well. The issue was not age but just complexity- this
was quite foursquare and lacking charm. Good dark cassis fruit, still
some tannins, but rather short and lacking in the development would
would want from mature St. Julien. If you served blind and told me a
6-10 year old Bordeaux AC would have seemed reasonable. C+/B-

2008 Guion "Cuvee Domaine"
A nice sloppy kiss of a wine, fruit forward and easy going, fresh red
fruits, good acidity, earthy with air. B/B+

Betsy's sister brought a carrot cake, and we also enjoyed the
1988 Jos. Christoffel Jr. Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese*.
Applesauce, peach, herbs (one young lady thought it was distinctly
dill, I was getting a greener toned herb more tarragonish), petrol,
light hints of botrytis. Nice pleasant wine, but I'd have appreciated
a bit more acidity (the few '88s I've had before had good zip) and a
little more minerality or complexity to finish. Still, holding well
and no sign of downturn. B

Not a standout night for wine, but nice to share the time with Dave
and family and friends who love him.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 18, 9:26*am, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> 1988 Jos. Christoffel Jr. *Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese*.
> Applesauce, peach, herbs (one young lady thought it was distinctly
> dill, I was getting a greener toned herb more tarragonish), petrol,
> light hints of botrytis. Nice pleasant wine, but I'd have appreciated
> a bit more acidity (the few '88s I've had before had good zip) and a
> little more minerality or complexity to finish. Still, holding well
> and no sign of downturn. B
>
> Not a standout night for wine, but nice to share the time with Dave
> and family and friends who love him.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

Dale, What is your overall impression of 2008 white burgs and Chablis
in particular. I haven't tasted many so far and I have the
opportunity to buy some Fevre and Brocard at good prices. I also have
a good "in" for 2008 O. Leflaive, Louis Latour, Matrot and Morey-
Coffinet but hesitate buying without tasting or opinions.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 18, 10:18*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> [...]

> > a bit more acidity (the few '88s I've had before had good zip) and a
> > little more minerality or complexity to finish. Still, holding well
> > and no sign of downturn. B

> > Not a standout night for wine, but nice to share the time with Dave
> > and family and friends who love him.

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

> Dale, What is your overall impression of 2008 white burgs and Chablis
> in particular. *I haven't tasted many so far and I have the
> opportunity to buy some Fevre and Brocard at good prices. *I also have
> a good "in" for 2008 O. Leflaive, Louis Latour, Matrot and Morey-
> Coffinet but hesitate buying without tasting or opinions.

I've has very few, but general opinions that I respect seem to see
2008 as very good for white Burg, and especially Chablis.There were
some rot/odium issues in Cote d'Or, generally turned out ok, but there
was no rot in Chablis.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 06:26:49 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >

> planned on a quick toast, with some cava I had sent to NH with Betsy
> that wasn't used. Except when I opened something red came out-
> apparently when I made her concert week goodie box I had mistaken a
> Lambrusco for a Cava with a similar dark label.

LOL! The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I opened
what I thought was a NZ Sauvignon Blanc, only to find that it was a
Pinot Noir by the same winery. The bottle was dark glass, and the two
were very hard to tell apart without reading the label more slowly
than I did.

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 18, 11:37*am, Ken Blake >
wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 06:26:49 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >

> > planned on *a quick toast, with some cava I had sent to NH with Betsy
> > that wasn't used. Except when I opened something red came out-
> > apparently when I made her concert week goodie box I had mistaken a
> > Lambrusco for a Cava with a similar dark label.

> LOL! The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I opened
> what I thought was a NZ Sauvignon Blanc, only to find that it was a
> Pinot Noir by the same winery. The bottle was dark glass, and the two
> were very hard to tell apart without reading the label more slowly
> than I did.
>
> --
> Ken Blake

Somewhere way back in the archives is a note where I was very
impressed with a basic Bourgogne- quite structured.. And then there's
the post the following day when I realized I had actually opened a NSG
1er. I had spotted maker's label (99% sure it was Chevillon), thought
I only had Bourgogne in that stack, took upstairs, opened, drank,
wrote note. Next day I went to see how it held up overnight and
discovered my mistake.

BTW, the ESJ rose was an 09, my typo