Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Savary Chablis with lobster and leftovers

We were planning on a leftover assortment last night, but Stew
Leonards had small lobsters for $3.99/lb, Betsy couldn't resist
grabbing a couple of chicks. We had steamed lobster, an escarole/
sausage/broccoli soup,. rice with corn and squash, and cabbage with
peanut sauce. OK, a little wierd, but all tasty. I opened the 2002
Olivier Savary "Fourchaume" Chablis 1er. Savary is a Kermit L import
we don't see much around here, but this is last bottle of an order
from PC a few years ago. I opened because of prem-ox fears, but this
was fairly fresh. No apparent oak,
some chalky notes, light but pure green apple and citrus fruit. This
is not a good wine to try to convert a CalChard drinker, but I found
quite nice. Lighter styled Chablis, mineral, dry, crisp, refreshing. A
little more concentration would put it into excellent camp, but I
enjoyed. B+

One discovery- while this was very food friendly and went well
overall, I would strongly recommend not pairing lighter Chardonnay
with red cabbage with peanut sauce. Both fine on their own, but
together- blech!

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> We were planning on a leftover assortment last night, but Stew
> Leonards had small lobsters for $3.99/lb, Betsy couldn't resist
> grabbing a couple of chicks. We had steamed lobster, an escarole/
> sausage/broccoli soup,. rice with corn and squash, and cabbage with
> peanut sauce. OK, a little wierd, but all tasty. I opened the 2002
> Olivier Savary "Fourchaume" Chablis 1er. Savary is a Kermit L import
> we don't see much around here, but this is last bottle of an order
> from PC a few years ago. I opened because of prem-ox fears, but this
> was fairly fresh. No apparent oak,
> some chalky notes, light but pure green apple and citrus fruit. This
> is not a good wine to try to convert a CalChard drinker, but I found
> quite nice. Lighter styled Chablis, mineral, dry, crisp, refreshing. A
> little more concentration would put it into excellent camp, but I
> enjoyed. B+
>
> One discovery- while this was very food friendly and went well
> overall, I would strongly recommend not pairing lighter Chardonnay
> with red cabbage with peanut sauce. Both fine on their own, but
> together- blech!
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Other than Alsatian dry Reisling Gewürtztraminer, or Pinot Gris, what
would you pair with peanut sauce and red cabbage?
Posted to alt.food.wine

Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

>> One discovery- while this was very food friendly and went well
>> overall, I would strongly recommend not pairing lighter Chardonnay
>> with red cabbage with peanut sauce. Both fine on their own, but
>> together- blech!

> Other than Alsatian dry Reisling Gewürtztraminer, or Pinot Gris, what
> would you pair with peanut sauce and red cabbage?

Beer? Nice note, Dale. I like Savary, too, but they are lighter
versions of Chablis in my experience.

Mark Lipton