Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Cleaning Decanter Help

I have a nice Riedel decanter which has white residue or etching inside. I
always rinse and wash the decanter after using, however I must have slipped
up somewhere along the way.

I tried using those Efferdent tablets to remove the stains, but no luck. I
was thinking about using vinegar.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mike Hagley

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 27, 3:26*pm, "Mike Hagley" > wrote:
> I have a nice Riedel decanter which has white residue or etching inside. *I
> always rinse and wash the decanter after using, however I must have slipped
> up somewhere along the way.
>
> I tried using those Efferdent tablets to remove the stains, but no luck. *I
> was thinking about using vinegar.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike Hagley

If it's etching, I would guess it's too late.
For other residue, I find OxiClean (Sodium percarbonate) works well,
but I think that might also be the main ingredient in denture
cleaners.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for the Oxyclean recommendation. I will give that a try. The
"stuff" is just a hazy looking film on the inside. I really haven't used it
that much, and never left wine or wine residue in the decanter.

Mike
"DaleW" > wrote in message
On Jul 27, 3:26 pm, "Mike Hagley" > wrote:
> I have a nice Riedel decanter which has white residue or etching inside. I
> always rinse and wash the decanter after using, however I must have
> slipped
> up somewhere along the way.
>
> I tried using those Efferdent tablets to remove the stains, but no luck. I
> was thinking about using vinegar.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike Hagley

If it's etching, I would guess it's too late.
For other residue, I find OxiClean (Sodium percarbonate) works well,
but I think that might also be the main ingredient in denture
cleaners.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 27/07/2010 20:26, Mike Hagley wrote:

> I was thinking about using vinegar.

Just do it. It will not hurt, and if the residue is lime scale it will
work.

You could also try decanter cleaning balls, which act like a mild abrasive.

--
www.winenous.co.uk
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 27, 11:25*pm, Steve Slatcher > wrote:

> You could also try decanter cleaning balls, which act like a mild abrasive.

Or simply half fill it with fine sand and some water and swirl it to
see if the mild abrasive action affects the film.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 28, 2:54*pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> On Jul 27, 11:25*pm, Steve Slatcher > wrote:
>

> > You could also try decanter cleaning balls, which act like a mild abrasive.

> Or simply half fill it with fine sand and some water and swirl it to
> see if the mild abrasive action affects the film.

or rice, or BBs
Posted to alt.food.wine

I tried Oxyclean, and it didn't do anything. Then this morning I used white
vinegar, and let it sit in the decanter for a couple hours, and it seemed to
get most of it out.

I may try CLR and see if that gets the rest.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike
"Bill S." > wrote in message
On Jul 27, 11:25 pm, Steve Slatcher > wrote:

> You could also try decanter cleaning balls, which act like a mild
> abrasive.

Or simply half fill it with fine sand and some water and swirl it to
see if the mild abrasive action affects the film.

Posted to alt.food.wine

If you can get a brush in, I've used toothpaste on crystal bowls that
got a white ring that nothing else would take off. It is very mildly
abrasive, and won't scratch even the softest glass.

Posted to alt.food.wine

That is the problem, I have no brush to clean the inside. I have put paper
towels in the decanter, and used a coat hanger to try to move the towels
around, but I cannot get any leverage to push the towels against the sides.
I suspect that I am just going to put up with the residue, but will probably
try rice or sand as someone suggested.

Mike
"Ronin" > wrote in message
> If you can get a brush in, I've used toothpaste on crystal bowls that got
> a white ring that nothing else would take off. It is very mildly
> abrasive, and won't scratch even the softest glass.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Cleaning a decanter Dee Dee Wine 14 30-09-2007 09:35 AM
To decanter or not to decanter. Mydnight Wine 14 12-05-2007 02:59 PM
August Decanter Ron Lel Wine 20 26-09-2004 10:50 AM
Decanter Cleaning? The Ranger Wine 20 17-12-2003 11:19 PM
Decanter Peter Taylor Wine 0 26-11-2003 01:32 PM