Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 MSR QbAs, 1 Paso Robles Rhone blend

Thursday Betsy made cha-soba noodles with peppers, bok choy and
shrimp (she had made another version with regular soba and chicken for
friends who can't cook now), wine was originally the 2007 Maximin
Grunhauser (von Schubert) Riesling QbA (Mosel Saar Ruwer). This is the
truly generic, no vineyard designation. Lots of petrol, some lemon and
apple. Soft, more pleasant than interesting. B-

2008 Fritz Haag Riesling QbA (Mosel)
Fritz Haag to the rescue! Now this is interesting Riesling.
Considerably more expensive ($20 vs $12), but worth it. Crisp, zippy,
lively with a saline meets slate minerality on finish. Great for
level. B+

Friday Betsy had dinner in city with friend before opera, so Dave and
I enjoyed some sausages, trumpet royale mushrooms sauteed in goosefat,
and broccoli. Dave tends to like big reds, so decided to try the 2006
Terry Hoage "Five Blocks" (Paso Robles). Ripe sweet blackberries.
coffee, and some herbal hints. Some oak notes, but not overwhelming.
There's some heat on backend, and a peek shows this is 15.5% -whew!
Big verging on huge. Not a style I drink much of, but this is well
done, and could compare favorably to some luxury cuvee CdPs (57%
Syrah, 29% Grenache, 7% Mourvedre, 7% Cinsault). B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 17, 3:25*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Thursday Betsy made *cha-soba noodles with peppers, bok choy *and
> shrimp (she had made another version with regular soba and chicken for
> friends who can't cook now), wine was originally the 2007 Maximin
> Grunhauser (von Schubert) Riesling QbA (Mosel Saar Ruwer). This is the
> truly generic, no vineyard designation. Lots of petrol, some lemon and
> apple. Soft, more pleasant than interesting. B-

There are a very few German vineyards so famous that they do not have
to give a Weinbauort(village) name. One of the best know is Schloss
Johannisberg. In the Weinbauort Mertesdorf there are a few vineyards.
One is Mertesdorfer Felslay. However there is a very famous set of
vineyards known as Ortsteil Maximin Grunhaus, containing the
Einzellags(vineyards) Abtsberg, Bruderberg, and Herrenberg. Being an
Ortsteil, Mertesdorf is not mentioned in the wine name and one thus
has Maximum Grunhauser followed by one of the 3 mentioned vineyard
names or alone if it is a mixture from 2 or 3 of the vineyards. If one
must choose, perhaps Abtsberg is the best but the other two are not
far behind or sometimes equal. Oddly enough you are most likely to
find a mixture of grapes from more than one vineyard at the extremes
with Qba at one end and BA and TBA at the other. Sometimes there is
not enough BA or TBA to make it practical to make separate wines for
each vineyard. In other cases the mixed wine may be made from what is
left after some of the BA or TBA is selected for individual vineyard
wines.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 19, 3:08*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Apr 17, 3:25*pm, DaleW > wrote:
>
> > Thursday Betsy made *cha-soba noodles with peppers, bok choy *and
> > shrimp (she had made another version with regular soba and chicken for
> > friends who can't cook now), wine was originally the 2007 Maximin
> > Grunhauser (von Schubert) Riesling QbA (Mosel Saar Ruwer). This is the
> > truly generic, no vineyard designation. Lots of petrol, some lemon and
> > apple. Soft, more pleasant than interesting. B-

> There are a very few German vineyards so famous that they do not have
> to give a Weinbauort(village) name. One of the best know is Schloss
> Johannisberg. In the Weinbauort Mertesdorf *there are a few vineyards.
> One is Mertesdorfer Felslay. However there is a very famous set of
> vineyards known as Ortsteil Maximin Grunhaus, containing the
> Einzellags(vineyards) Abtsberg, Bruderberg, and Herrenberg. Being an
> Ortsteil, Mertesdorf is not mentioned in the wine name and one thus
> has Maximum Grunhauser followed by one of the 3 mentioned vineyard
> names or alone if it is a mixture from 2 or 3 of the vineyards. If one
> must choose, perhaps Abtsberg is the best but the other two are not
> far behind or sometimes equal. Oddly enough you are most likely to
> find a mixture of grapes from more than one vineyard at the extremes
> with Qba at one end and BA and TBA at the other. Sometimes there is
> not enough BA or TBA to make it practical to make separate wines for
> each vineyard. In other cases the mixed wine may be made from what is
> left after some of the BA or TBA is selected for individual vineyard
> wines.

Apparently Bruderberg is only being used for QbA these days.
They used to make an Abtsberg QbA, but haven't seen in a while.
Not sure if this is all Bruderberg, or a blend.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 19, 11:44*am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Apr 19, 3:08*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
>

> > On Apr 17, 3:25*pm, DaleW > wrote:

> > > Thursday Betsy made *cha-soba noodles with peppers, bok choy *and
> > > shrimp (she had made another version with regular soba and chicken for
> > > friends who can't cook now), wine was originally the 2007 Maximin
> > > Grunhauser (von Schubert) Riesling QbA (Mosel Saar Ruwer). This is the
> > > truly generic, no vineyard designation. Lots of petrol, some lemon and
> > > apple. Soft, more pleasant than interesting. B-

> > There are a very few German vineyards so famous that they do not have
> > to give a Weinbauort(village) name. One of the best know is Schloss
> > Johannisberg. In the Weinbauort Mertesdorf *there are a few vineyards..
> > One is Mertesdorfer Felslay. However there is a very famous set of
> > vineyards known as Ortsteil Maximin Grunhaus, containing the
> > Einzellags(vineyards) Abtsberg, Bruderberg, and Herrenberg. Being an
> > Ortsteil, Mertesdorf is not mentioned in the wine name and one thus
> > has Maximum Grunhauser followed by one of the 3 mentioned vineyard
> > names or alone if it is a mixture from 2 or 3 of the vineyards. If one
> > must choose, perhaps Abtsberg is the best but the other two are not
> > far behind or sometimes equal. Oddly enough you are most likely to
> > find a mixture of grapes from more than one vineyard at the extremes
> > with Qba at one end and BA and TBA at the other. Sometimes there is
> > not enough BA or TBA to make it practical to make separate wines for
> > each vineyard. In other cases the mixed wine may be made from what is
> > left after some of the BA or TBA is selected for individual vineyard
> > wines.

> Apparently Bruderberg is only being used for QbA these days.
> They used to make an Abtsberg QbA, but haven't seen in a while.
> Not sure if this is all Bruderberg, or a blend.

I do not recall seeing any Bruderberg for sale in the US even in the
1970s. I still have a bit of the 1976 Abtsberg BA and the spatlese. I
have one bottle of Herrenberg spatlese 1971 and several bottles
Herrenberg Auslese 1975.

Paso Robles Fred[_2_] Wine 2 28-05-2008 01:11 AM
TN: GV, Saar Kab, Pomerol, Rhone, Rhone ranger from Paso Robles DaleW Wine 0 10-03-2008 01:09 PM
[FAQ] 3d. Paso Robles Mark Lipton Wine 8 11-10-2006 09:47 PM
Paso Robles Trip Gary Wine 7 07-09-2006 07:59 PM
Paso Robles winemonger Wine 7 19-04-2004 01:07 AM