winemonger

Default Paso Robles

Was really enjoying a Ridge Zinfandel Dusi Ranch last night and got to
wondering...besides Ridge, what other wines would folks recommend from
this area?
Mark Lipton

winemonger wrote:

> Was really enjoying a Ridge Zinfandel Dusi Ranch last night and got to
> wondering...besides Ridge, what other wines would folks recommend from
> this area?

Paso is actually now the best source of Rhone varietals in CA (IMO),
too. Some good places in Paso are, in no particular order: Turley*,
L'Aventure, Garretson, Tablas Creek, Linne Calodo and Justin.

* Their main operation is in Sonoma, but they now have a tasting room in
Paso as well.

Mark Lipton
dick

Justin Isosceles is great! I was on Futures program for about $15 a bottle
until 1996 and 1997 when it became $24.00 bottle.

Have not bought since then since I have so much. Nice stuff. Holds well
but I don't really notice that is develops over time. I think it drinks
well early and that's about the best it gets.

Don't know why but 1993 still drinks the same as when released.

dick

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (winemonger) writes:
>
> >Was really enjoying a Ridge Zinfandel Dusi Ranch last night and got to
> >wondering...besides Ridge, what other wines would folks recommend from
> >this area?

> Tablas Creek has some good wines, though I think they're a little too

pricey
> for quality. I think I've actually liked the whites more than the reds.
>
> Justin - I like the Bordeaux blend (Isoceles) if priced reasonably (say

$40 in
> a good vintage)
>
> Peachy Canyon makes a good Dusi Ranch, too.
>
> Garretson's Rhone varietals are good.
>
> The J Lohr 7 Oaks Cab is often a decent QPR. I seldom find their upper end
> offerings worth the tariff.
>
> HTH
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Kzinns2

>Paso is actually now the best source of Rhone varietals in CA (IMO),
>too. Some good places in Paso are, in no particular order: Turley*,
>L'Aventure, Garretson, Tablas Creek, Linne Calodo and Justin.

Yes, I totally agree with you. A couple of other very good ones are Saxum,
Villa Creek, and Hug Cellars (the last two are very small production).
Pipestone and Nadeau are not quite at that level but still good.
winemonger

Thanks for all the recs! I know Turley and Justin quite well, and
have heard of some of the others, but trying the rest will be fun. I
have to go to big tastings for work (work, work, work...so terrible,
yes?) but find that a small forum like this gives a better idea of
those hidden gems out there.
Kirk-O-Scottland

"winemonger" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks for all the recs! I know Turley and Justin quite well, and
> have heard of some of the others, but trying the rest will be fun. I
> have to go to big tastings for work (work, work, work...so terrible,
> yes?) but find that a small forum like this gives a better idea of
> those hidden gems out there.

EOS zin and cab sauv are pretty good and tasty for the price as well. About
$15-20 US.

Paso Robles Fred[_2_] Wine 2 28-05-2008 01:11 AM
[FAQ] 3d. Paso Robles Mark Lipton Wine 8 11-10-2006 09:47 PM
TN: Kunin 2004 Paso Robles Zin Ewan McNay Wine 1 09-10-2006 06:46 PM
Paso Robles Trip Gary Wine 7 07-09-2006 07:59 PM
Paso Robles wine country k.papai Wine 8 01-08-2006 05:16 PM