Old 23-12-2009, 06:23 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Lodi Wines

On Dec 23, 11:05*am, Ed Rasimus wrote:
I've been running into wines from Lodi Valley CA for some reason and
almost across the board I'm liking what I encounter. Last summer while
traveling around the mountains of Wyoming (an unlikely venue for deep
wine lists), I had a syrah that impressed. "6th Sense Syrah" from
Michael-David Winery in Lodi 2006. The wine was deep bluish purple and
had a smokey first note that then morphed into a more typical
blueberry/blackberry fruit. Lucious mouth feel and a lingering need to
order a case of it were prominent. Since then I've actually been
through three cases and it has been adopted as sort of a "house wine."

Last night I opened another Lodi wine, this time a petit syrah from
Windmill Estates 2006. Again a viscous, dark, full-bodied fruit
forward style which surprised me. I went hunting the wine online today
and was surprised to find it is a product of the same Michael-David
group. Apparently he specializes in old vine zinfandels and Rhone
varietals. About $12 for the Windmill PS and $18 for the 6th Sense.

I've also been drinking some offerings from Lange Twins Vineyard, also
in Lodi. Not as in-your-face as the Michael-David stuff, but have
encountered an excellent cab sauvignon and viognier. They also have a
an unoaked chardonnay and recently released their first attempts with
pinot noir.

Lodi may be a growing source (excuse the pun) for low-cost/high value
wines during the next few years. Will be interesting to see how
vintages vary with weather conditions.

Lodi has long produced some powerful high quality Zinfandel in some
years. I still have 2 bottles of the famous(infamous?) Ridge
California Zinfandel Essence Lodi 1972. It is an extreme type of late
harvest wine. Although not fortified, it is very port-like. It has
14.4% alcohol, total acid of 0.78% as tartaric, and 6.7%sugar(4.9%
fructose and 1.8% glucose) .The grapes came from the Buena Vista
vineyard. Serve it as you would port. It is not for serving with a
meal, unless you like sweet classic port with it.

Lodi grapes when? gA Winemaking 2 12-09-2011 02:45 AM
Lodi Wines Zeppo[_2_] Wine 0 23-12-2009 06:12 PM
Lodi AyTee Wine 6 14-04-2007 03:35 AM
BK Lodi Old Vines Zin Mark L. Winemaking 2 10-11-2006 10:15 PM
BK Lodi Zin question Broham Winemaking 8 02-02-2004 03:08 AM