Dale Williams

Default TN: 3 QPR winners for the summer

When Betsy needed some white wine to cook with a couple days ago, pulled out
the 2002 Melini Orvieto Classico. Clean oakless floral nose, clear pear &
citrus fruit with a nice nutty note to the finish. Nothing complex here, but
really pretty decent $7 white. B

Tuesday's dinner came out of Ming Tsai's Blue Ginger cookbook. Scallops in a
star anise and orange/carrot juice sauce, along with lemon basmati rice. The
scallop recipe called for "bright Chardonnay" as accompaniment, so I opened
the 2002 JP Brun Terres Dorres Beaujolais Blanc. This $10 Chard is great QPR,
nice mineral/chalk overlay on the sweet apple fruit. Nice finish, bright
acidity lets it do well with this not-such-an-easy-match main course. B+

Wednesday brought the first in my little town's summer weekly evening concerts
by the river. A hot day, but the breeze off the Hudson made it very
comfortable. Series is mostly jazz, though this time it was a bluegrass band
fronted by a couple of old friends of mine. Betsy had gone all out, grilling
steaks and serving over arugula and St. Andre cheese. Dilled green beans, fruit
salad too. What could be better than a beautiful day, friends, music, good
food, and the woman you love? Well, how about a beautiful day, friends, music,
good food, the woman you love, and a good dry rosé? I really liked the 2003
Château dOupia Minervois Rosé. Bright nose of white flowers and wild
strawberries, crisp palate with ripe strawberry fruit. Balanced and flavorful.
A steal at $8. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Bocuse Winners modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] General Cooking 0 28-01-2009 06:47 PM
Tin Foil Hat Winners...? Dan Barbecue 2 07-05-2007 03:54 PM
Tin Foil Hat Winners...? -L. General Cooking 39 06-05-2007 04:40 AM
2005 GABF Winners Frank Mancuso Beer 58 10-10-2005 02:16 AM
TN: 2 QPR winners, one loser Dale Williams Wine 1 01-10-2003 11:27 PM