jcoulter

Default 1988 Comte de Champagne

There was a thread not too long ago, about older champagnes. I think this
one qualifies as older. It certainly has been hiding too long and I was
thinking that this year for the anniversary would be a good time. What can
I expect? Would it be better before during or after the meal, if during
what would be a good match?

Clueless and appreciative of any responses.

Mathew Kagis

"jcoulter" > wrote in message
> There was a thread not too long ago, about older champagnes. I think this
> one qualifies as older. It certainly has been hiding too long and I was
> thinking that this year for the anniversary would be a good time. What can
> I expect? Would it be better before during or after the meal, if during
> what would be a good match?
>
> Clueless and appreciative of any responses.

First course, with seafood (prefferably oysters on the half shell &/or
Lobster)... There are many other options, this just happens to be my
personal favorite.

En Vino Veritas
Mathew

Mark Lipton

jcoulter wrote:

> There was a thread not too long ago, about older champagnes. I think this
> one qualifies as older. It certainly has been hiding too long and I was
> thinking that this year for the anniversary would be a good time. What can
> I expect? Would it be better before during or after the meal, if during
> what would be a good match?

What are your storage conditions like? I know that you live in C. Florida,
so unless it's been in a rigorously controlled environment, it's likely to be
heat damaged. If not, expect toast and perhaps a touch of sulfur when first
opened, and somewhat "maderized"-like flavors. I think that truffles would
be an excellent match for it, or certain soft cheeses. FWIW, Hugh Johnson
suggests "cold partridge, grouse or woodcock". (Good luck finding them at
Food Lion!) Because the acids are likely to be lessened, I'd actually steer
clear of some of the more popular fishy choices. Please, please, post
tasting notes when you open it!

Mark Lipton

jcoulter

Mark Lipton > wrote in
:

> jcoulter wrote:
>
>> There was a thread not too long ago, about older

champagnes. I think
>> this one qualifies as older. It certainly has been hiding

too long
>> and I was thinking that this year for the anniversary

would be a good
>> time. What can I expect? Would it be better before during

or after
>> the meal, if during what would be a good match?

> What are your storage conditions like? I know that you

live in C.
> Florida, so unless it's been in a rigorously controlled

environment,
> it's likely to be heat damaged. If not, expect toast and

perhaps a
> touch of sulfur when first opened, and somewhat

"maderized"-like
> flavors. I think that truffles would be an excellent match

for it, or
> certain soft cheeses. FWIW, Hugh Johnson suggests "cold

partridge,
> grouse or woodcock". (Good luck finding them at Food

Lion!) Because
> the acids are likely to be lessened, I'd actually steer

clear of some
> of the more popular fishy choices. Please, please, post

tasting
> notes when you open it!
>
> Mark Lipton

It has been stored in a wine cooler since leaving Taitinger
in about 98 (we got it after a tour of the cellars)

I'll be on the lookout for woodcock!

Thank you this is exactly what I was hoping for. So we cross
our finger and wait 36 days then taste and report.

TN Bonnes-Mares 1990, Comte de Vogue cwdjrxyz Wine 8 17-11-2009 09:53 AM
1988 Salon Champagne Bi!! Wine 4 08-11-2009 01:14 AM
TN Musigny 1949, Comte de Vogue Cwdjrx _ Wine 3 29-05-2005 07:38 PM
2000 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogue Chambolle Musigny Bas van Beek Wine 0 07-12-2004 07:24 PM
1988 Comtes du Champagne TN jcoulter Wine 0 28-06-2004 01:28 PM