Peter Muto

Default TN: 'Les Charmois' 1999 Saint-Aubin 1er Cru

Had it a couple days ago with salmon in a simple olive oil, sea salt,
fennel and butter glaze in the oven. Not the greatest match as the
wine is not quite 'big' enough for the salmon I think but worked quite
well.
Very deep golden colour. Lemon, green apple, some mineral elements
underneath. toasted oak (well-integrated), good concentration and
length. Lot's of acidity. Mature and ready to drink.
I picked it up on a whim, as I *rarely* buy Burgundy without research
(I like to think I know better ;-) but reading up on it, a wine critic
I respect raved about it when it was released in Ontario. Was only
$32.95 CAD.
Had it a couple days later with fresh goat cheese (not so great match)
some La Serena from Spain (didnt care for the match), and roasted
almonds (excellent match)
It was holding up well, picked up some straw notes, lost most of the
fruit but was still great.

Interestingly enough, this vineyard is just behind
Chassagne-Montrachet but falls in Saint-Aubin. The producer is Chateau
Chassagne-Montrachet.
How many times do you see 'mis en bouteille au Chateau' on a bottle of
Burgundy!

Randall & Aubin randallzz Restaurants 1 16-04-2012 03:41 PM
Saint Joan of Arc 1-25-96 [email protected] Baking 0 27-05-2010 08:19 PM
TN: St. Julien, St Aubin, Saintsbury, and Piocho (not a Saint) DaleW Wine 3 14-05-2007 10:40 PM
TN: wines with NYT recipes (St. Aubin, St. Innocent, Hugel) Dale Williams Wine 0 07-02-2004 02:22 AM
1999 Dom. Lamy Pillot Saint Aubin 1st Cru Les Castets Kirk-O-Scottland Wine 1 20-01-2004 06:18 PM