Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: St. Julien, St Aubin, Saintsbury, and Piocho (not a Saint)

Friday it was just Dave and I for dinner, I grilled a marinated london
broil, asparagus,and potatoes. Seemed like a good time for Bordeaux, I
opened the 2004 Ch. Lagrange (St. Julien). Oak a bit much at first,
but within about 30 minutes it seemed more integrated. Medium-bodied,
blackcurrant and plum fruit, a vanilla edge to the oak. As evening
progressed some coffee/mocha and lead pencil notes came out. Not a big
wine, but pleasant modern Bordeaux. I had half a bottle left, carried
the following night to a friend's for a taste (he's a Lagrange fan),
but we never got around to tasting (hopefully he tried today). B/B+

Saturday I went to Marc and Annabelle's for dinner after watching
Betsy's nephew's Little League game. I carried the opened Lagrange and
a bottle of the 2005 Francois & Denis Clair "Les Murgers de Dents de
Chien" Saint-Aubin 1er Cru. This is a bit fatter and richer than some
previous vintages, but it carries it well- there's good acidic verve
underneath. Bartlett pears with an overlay of hazelnut, light toasty
notes. Very good for the level, went well with eggplant/proscuitto
first course. B+/A-

Mark had a red he wanted me to try, the 2003 Piocho Red Table Wine
(Santa Ynez). He said the owner is a famous investor- he apparently
can afford new oak barrels- big blast of oak on initial sniff.
Actually, a little calmer on the palate. Very sweet red fruits, fairly
low acidity, round and ripe. Reminds me of a midlevel Barossa Shiraz,
but I think it's Cabernet/Merlot based. Not my style, B-/C+, but
others would rate it much higher.

Main course was grilled salmon and couscous. Mark has the 1994
Saintsbury Pinot Noir Reserve (Carneros) to serve. I'm a little wary,
I drank my last 1995 a few years ago and thought this might be OTH.
But while fully mature, this has plenty of life, and stays very
drinkable throughout night. Perfectly ripe cherry fruit, a velvety
texture but with a bright core of acids. Tannins all faded away, good
length, I'm shocked how good this still is. A-

Fun night with good friends, and rain stopped in time to let me
happily walk home.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Friday it was just Dave and I for dinner, I grilled a marinated london
> broil, asparagus,and potatoes. Seemed like a good time for Bordeaux, I
> opened the 2004 Ch. Lagrange (St. Julien). Oak a bit much at first,
> but within about 30 minutes it seemed more integrated. Medium-bodied,
> blackcurrant and plum fruit, a vanilla edge to the oak. As evening
> progressed some coffee/mocha and lead pencil notes came out. Not a big
> wine, but pleasant modern Bordeaux. I had half a bottle left, carried
> the following night to a friend's for a taste (he's a Lagrange fan),
> but we never got around to tasting (hopefully he tried today). B/B+

Isn't it a bit early for this one or were you establishing a "benchmark" for
future development? I have been holding off trying the 2001 but now I'm
sorely tempted.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 14, 2:38�pm, "graham" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...> Friday it was just Dave and I for dinner, I grilled a marinated london
> > broil, asparagus,and potatoes. Seemed like a good time for Bordeaux, I
> > opened the 2004 Ch. Lagrange (St. Julien). Oak a bit much at first,
> > but within about 30 minutes it seemed more integrated. Medium-bodied,
> > blackcurrant and plum fruit, a vanilla edge to the oak. As evening
> > progressed some coffee/mocha and lead pencil notes came out. Not a big
> > wine, but pleasant modern Bordeaux. I had half a bottle left, carried
> > the following night to a friend's for a taste (he's a Lagrange fan),
> > but we never got around to tasting (hopefully he tried today). B/B+

> Isn't it a bit early for this one or were you establishing a "benchmark" for
> future development? *I have been holding off trying the 2001 but now I'm
> sorely tempted.
> Graham

I tend to like to try a Bordeax within a year or so of release, to get
a handle on how I think it will age (and if I think it is something
worth getting more of). I have 2 more of these, probably won't touch
for 10 more years.

I like the 2001. Fairly structured, I''d hold off, or decant well in
advance if you try now. I put 2011 to 2020 in my personal window in
CT. I haven't had since release, but Bordeaux (especially Left Bank)
often shut down a couple years after release for a few years. Age 6
has a high likelihood of tightness in my (meager) experience.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 14, 2:38?pm, "graham" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...> Friday it
> was just Dave and I for dinner, I grilled a marinated london
> > broil, asparagus,and potatoes. Seemed like a good time for Bordeaux, I
> > opened the 2004 Ch. Lagrange (St. Julien). Oak a bit much at first,
> > but within about 30 minutes it seemed more integrated. Medium-bodied,
> > blackcurrant and plum fruit, a vanilla edge to the oak. As evening
> > progressed some coffee/mocha and lead pencil notes came out. Not a big
> > wine, but pleasant modern Bordeaux. I had half a bottle left, carried
> > the following night to a friend's for a taste (he's a Lagrange fan),
> > but we never got around to tasting (hopefully he tried today). B/B+

> Isn't it a bit early for this one or were you establishing a "benchmark"
> for
> future development? I have been holding off trying the 2001 but now I'm
> sorely tempted.
> Graham

I tend to like to try a Bordeax within a year or so of release, to get
a handle on how I think it will age (and if I think it is something
worth getting more of). I have 2 more of these, probably won't touch
for 10 more years.

I like the 2001. Fairly structured, I''d hold off, or decant well in
advance if you try now. I put 2011 to 2020 in my personal window in
CT. I haven't had since release, but Bordeaux (especially Left Bank)
often shut down a couple years after release for a few years.
Many thanks for your advice. I had thought that next year might be OK after
reading the reviews. However, they can wait as I have a few '97 2nd Growths
that I need to drink up but, after injuring my hand, I will have to find
some upscale takeout to share them with friends:-)

Age 6
has a high likelihood of tightness in my (meager) experience.

From reading your posts, "meager" is the last word that i would have
chosen!!!!
Graham