Ed Rasimus

Default TN: Cakebread California Cab '00

Saturday dinner out at a new joint in Colorado Springs, the
"Famous"--an upscale steakhouse. Started with a Tanqueray Ten martini
to dull the tastebuds. Great premium gin with a bite of citrus that's
quite distinctive.

Then a half dozen Nova Scotia oysters on the half-shell. Best I've
tasted in a long time and amazing this far from the shore. SWMBO had
crab cakes, also top-notch.

Dinner was a peanut-butter textured filet mignon for me and a rack of
Colorado lamb for spouse. The wine was Cakebread Cabernet Sauvignon
from Napa, 2000. An incredible wine, dark purple in color and opaque
but definitely not muddy. Great warm nose of leather (Corinthian?) and
vanilla. Almost viscous texture with long legs when swirled. The wine
was immediately accessible on opening, but improved over the hour of
dinner. On the tongue, smooth and carrying the vanilla forward. Loads
of undetermined fruit--not raspberry, but hints of dark, sweet cherry
and cassis. Long smooth finish. Very little tannin noted, despite the
youth of the wine.

Might have been one of the nicest cabs I've had in the past five
years.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"