Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN 82 Cakebread Cabernet

Many years ago my good friend brought this bottle from Napa and gave it
to me, I suppose in the mid-80s. It has slept ever since, although
traveled many thousands of miles by truck and container through our
moves. The level and color were good (mid neck) but the cork crumbly
and I wished for a better worm on the screw. With a fine salt marsh
gigot we toasted our patron and distant friend Tom, (who now lives in
Napa and works in the biz).

Discreet nose of plums, mushrooms, leather. In the mouth a classic
claret style, leather, slight mint and coconut over deep cherry fruit
that grew as the wine opened in the decanter. Interestingly almost
no dregs, clearly filtered.

A fine old gentleman, perhaps a few years past middle age, but with
great class, and no dotard. All the more enjoyable for its source
and the memories it brought back of other days. Thanks again, Tom!

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 15, 9:08�am, Emery Davis > wrote:
> Many years ago my good friend brought this bottle from Napa and gave it
> to me, I suppose in the mid-80s. �It has slept ever since, although
> traveled many thousands of miles by truck and container through our
> moves. �The level and color were good (mid neck) but the cork crumbly
> and I wished for a better worm on the screw. �With a fine salt marsh
> gigot we toasted our patron and distant friend Tom, (who now lives in
> Napa and works in the biz).
>
> Discreet nose of plums, mushrooms, leather. �In the mouth a classic
> claret style, leather, slight mint and coconut over deep cherry fruit
> that grew as the wine opened in the decanter. �Interestingly almost
> no dregs, clearly filtered.
>
> A fine old gentleman, perhaps a few years past middle age, but with
> great class, and no dotard. �All the more enjoyable for its source
> and the memories it brought back of other days. �Thanks again, Tom!
>
> -E

Thanks for the notes Emery. I haven't opened a Cakebread Cab in years
but I have a few bottles from the 90's that I've been holding on to.
Maybe it's time to open them.