Amy Young-Leith

Default Help with a white wine recommendation!

I've been invited to a little salon luncheon in a few weeks -- the
menu is an egg fritata, fruit salad, and a chocolate torte for
dessert. I've been asked to bring the wine. All I have (and all we
tend to drink) are reds and although I don't know much, I think I know
that a cab would NOT be appropriate! =-)

Given that menu, what *would* be appropriate? I'd like to display an
appreciation for the fine but economical -- something between $10 and
$50, but it's got to be common enough to be available at a midwest
liquor store known for a good wine selection.

Suggestions? I have no idea.

Amy
Dana Myers

Amy Young-Leith wrote:

> Suggestions? I have no idea.

Hmmm... perhaps not specific enough, but I don't
know what your local stores stock. If you can go
have a look and report back what your local stores
have from the following classes, this list will nail
down a specific suggestion quite easily:

Oregon Pinot Gris
New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc
California Pinot Gris

Dana
Mark Lipton

Amy Young-Leith wrote:

> I've been invited to a little salon luncheon in a few weeks -- the
> menu is an egg fritata, fruit salad, and a chocolate torte for
> dessert. I've been asked to bring the wine. All I have (and all we
> tend to drink) are reds and although I don't know much, I think I know
> that a cab would NOT be appropriate! =-)

Wow!! Amy, are you sure that they aren't pulling a joke on you? You've
been given three foods that are notoriously hard to match with *any* wine
and which don't generally favor the same wine.

> Given that menu, what *would* be appropriate? I'd like to display an
> appreciation for the fine but economical -- something between $10 and
> $50, but it's got to be common enough to be available at a midwest
> liquor store known for a good wine selection.

OK, on to specifics. Eggs are a wine-killer, by and large. Full
bodied white wines do the best with them IMO. Fruit salad has the twin
problems of acidity and sweetness. Here I think an off-dry but acidic
white wine would be best. For the chocolate torte, I'd try to steer the
crowd on to coffee. As an all-around decent choice I'd try perhaps a
demi-sec Champagne (from France) or, if you can't locate one, an Extra
Dry Champagne. You should have a number of choices in your price
range. It still won't go with the chocolate torte, but the wine-savvy
folk could switch to another beverage and the clueless just carry on with
the Champagne. Another decent choice might be a Pinot Gris from Alsace,
the more powerful the better. In all cases, however, you're really
trying to minimize the damage more than achieve a good match.

HTH
Mark Lipton

Dana Myers

Mark Lipton wrote:

> Amy Young-Leith wrote:
>

>>I've been invited to a little salon luncheon in a few weeks -- the
>>menu is an egg fritata, fruit salad, and a chocolate torte for
>>dessert. I've been asked to bring the wine. All I have (and all we
>>tend to drink) are reds and although I don't know much, I think I know
>>that a cab would NOT be appropriate! =-)

> Wow!! Amy, are you sure that they aren't pulling a joke on you? You've
> been given three foods that are notoriously hard to match with *any* wine
> and which don't generally favor the same wine.

I'll bet it's not that difficult, Mark. My intuition is that Amy
basically can't lose with crowd-pleasing, fruit-driven white.

Dana
RV WRLee

>I've been invited to a little salon luncheon in a few weeks -- the
>menu is an egg fritata, fruit salad, and a chocolate torte for
>dessert.

Prosecco
Bi!!

Oz

Mark Lipton > wrote in message >...
> Amy Young-Leith wrote:
>
> > I've been invited to a little salon luncheon in a few weeks -- the
> > menu is an egg fritata, fruit salad, and a chocolate torte for
> > dessert. I've been asked to bring the wine. All I have (and all we
> > tend to drink) are reds and although I don't know much, I think I know
> > that a cab would NOT be appropriate! =-)

> Wow!! Amy, are you sure that they aren't pulling a joke on you? You've
> been given three foods that are notoriously hard to match with *any* wine
> and which don't generally favor the same wine.
>

> > Given that menu, what *would* be appropriate? I'd like to display an
> > appreciation for the fine but economical -- something between $10 and
> > $50, but it's got to be common enough to be available at a midwest
> > liquor store known for a good wine selection.

> OK, on to specifics. Eggs are a wine-killer, by and large. Full
> bodied white wines do the best with them IMO. Fruit salad has the twin
> problems of acidity and sweetness. Here I think an off-dry but acidic
> white wine would be best. For the chocolate torte, I'd try to steer the
> crowd on to coffee. As an all-around decent choice I'd try perhaps a
> demi-sec Champagne (from France) or, if you can't locate one, an Extra
> Dry Champagne. You should have a number of choices in your price
> range. It still won't go with the chocolate torte, but the wine-savvy
> folk could switch to another beverage and the clueless just carry on with
> the Champagne. Another decent choice might be a Pinot Gris from Alsace,
> the more powerful the better. In all cases, however, you're really
> trying to minimize the damage more than achieve a good match.
>
> HTH
> Mark Lipton

3 french wines that should work well include: for the fritata try a
rose from the cote de ventoux (enough backbone to cover the egg but
not overwhelming) or a pinot noir from Alsace (personally I don't like
them but may work in this case). For the fruit salad a cote de Layon
is the ticket. It's the Chenin Blanc grape and the level of sweetness
is perfectly by the acidity and severity of the variety. For the
chocolate torte go with a Banyuls, absolutely fabulous with chocolate.
Only problem is that you're not going to find these wines in the
midwest...but they're the solution to your dilemma
Posted to alt.food.wine

replying to RV WRLee, Steve Works wrote:
> rvwrlee wrote:
>
> >I've been invited to a little salon luncheon in a few weeks -- the
> >menu is an egg fritata, fruit salad, and a chocolate torte for
> >dessert.

> Prosecco
> Bi!!

Indeed. One of the best brands!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, February 16, 2004 1:44:50 AM UTC+1, Amy Young-Leith wrote:
> I've been invited to a little salon luncheon in a few weeks -- the
> menu is an egg fritata, fruit salad, and a chocolate torte for
> dessert. I've been asked to bring the wine. All I have (and all we
> tend to drink) are reds and although I don't know much, I think I know
> that a cab would NOT be appropriate! =-)
>
> Given that menu, what *would* be appropriate? I'd like to display an
> appreciation for the fine but economical -- something between $10 and
> $50, but it's got to be common enough to be available at a midwest
> liquor store known for a good wine selection.

I'd go for any Napa valley chardonnay reserve 20-50$ you could find, which at least would a great sipper between eating, or Ferrari Brut Rose for curiosity effect.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 02/11/2014 9:26 AM, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Monday, February 16, 2004 1:44:50 AM UTC+1, Amy Young-Leith wrote:
>> I've been invited to a little salon luncheon in a few weeks -- the
>> menu is an egg fritata, fruit salad, and a chocolate torte for
>> dessert. I've been asked to bring the wine. All I have (and all we
>> tend to drink) are reds and although I don't know much, I think I know
>> that a cab would NOT be appropriate! =-)
>>
>> Given that menu, what *would* be appropriate? I'd like to display an
>> appreciation for the fine but economical -- something between $10 and
>> $50, but it's got to be common enough to be available at a midwest
>> liquor store known for a good wine selection.

> I'd go for any Napa valley chardonnay reserve 20-50$ you could find, which at least would a great sipper between eating, or Ferrari Brut Rose for curiosity effect.

Your recommendation was a bit late!
Graham
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sunday, November 2, 2014 11:06:53 PM UTC+1, graham wrote:

> Your recommendation was a bit late!
> Graham

Oh, haha, someone else bumped it though

white tea recommendation? Sally P. Tea 14 14-01-2019 09:31 AM
Wine Kit Recommendation JB Winemaking 4 14-05-2008 03:26 AM
TN: QPR white recommendation-Hofer GV DaleW Wine 0 19-04-2006 06:48 AM
Need a Red Wine Recommendation [email protected] General 2 17-01-2005 08:13 AM
Wine recommendation? diana landry Wine 9 16-04-2004 05:26 PM