Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: QPR white recommendation-Hofer GV

When it comes to real cheapies (under $8), I find it really hard to
find a white I'd buy again (other than an occasional Vinho Verde, but
that's not exactly versatile). With reds I stock things like Borsao or
Iche Heretiques, wines I like and that Betsy knows she can open for
cooking with impunity, but since the dollar weakened I've had to raise
the ceiling for "house whites" to $10 and above as the Pepiere Muscadet
and CRB Touraine SB have gotten more expensive. But just in time for
summer I've found a $6.75 white winner. Well, actually it's $9, but
that's for a liter bottle.

The wine is the 2005 H.u.M Hofer Gruner Veltliner. Odd-looking bottle,
but nice tasting wine. Nose of ripe apples with a little lentil and
white pepper, smooth texture and nice finish for an inexpensive wine.
Just a slight hint of off-dryness, but enough acidity to offset; some
chalk and talc on the finish. Pleasant, long, and interesting. A B, but
an A for value.

Has a crown-cap, so be sure you have a stopper of some sort. Very food
-friendly- matched well with grilled pork chops & artichoke/pepper
pasta last night, I had a half-glass with grilled chicken this evening,
and am sipping some now after returning from city with some chevre and
salami.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.