David Revelle

Default Pairing for 1971 Ch. D'Yquem?

My grandfather was very proud of his wine collection, but died when I
was young enough that I didn't get much benefit during his lifetime.
When visiting my grandmother a couple of years ago, I went into the now
almost empty wine cellar and discovered that my grandfather had spent a
fair amount on his wine, as the labels on the empty racks said that they
had once held bottles of Ch. Margaux and other fine wines.
Alas, there is now some cheap wine sitting where the fine Bordeaux once
was. Absolutely heartbreaking.

But then, off on the side, I discovered that there was stil a bottle of
1971 Ch. D'Yquem. Knowing that my father would disown me if I drank it
without him, it has remained hidden in my grandmother's wine cellar
until this coming weekend, when my dad and I will finally be visiting
my grandmother at the same time.

I've spent enough time lurking in this group to realize that it is much
more common for random posters to ask "How much is this worth?" I don't
want to know that--I just want to drink it. My question is what is the
best way to do so? Should we just have it by itself as its own dessert
course, or should I make something to complement it?

David

To respond, change dot to a dot, and com to net
Bill Spohn

Drink it on it's own - trying to match it with anything would be tantamount to
having a game of chess while engaged in amatory activity with the girl of your
dreams.

Here's my last note:

1971Yquem €“ Initially a bit reticent in the nose, it came out a little
earthy, backed by botrytis and fruit, and was rich and almost figgy on palate,
crisp and long. Not according to those with experience, the best of bottles,
being a little darker than normal and not showing as well as it might.
Mark Lipton

Bill Spohn wrote:

> Drink it on it's own - trying to match it with anything would be tantamount to
> having a game of chess while engaged in amatory activity with the girl of your
> dreams.

What the heck's wrong with THAT, Bill? Haven't you law-types learned the value
of multitasking?? :P
FWIW, I agree about the Yquem, though. Just savor it as is and don't worry
about matching it...

Mark Lipton

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi David Revelle,

le/on Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:20:04 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>best way to do so? Should we just have it by itself as its own dessert
>course, or should I make something to complement it?

I was going to write confidently, "Drink it on its own", thinking that I'd
be the only one to say so!!!

Wrong again. I agree with Bill and Mark. BUT. If you want to play, get some
REALLY good blue cheese (Roquefort is the obvious choice) and after sipping
the Yquem a while, produce it. The match is truly magical.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
eddie carter

all sauternes is best served with/from a nipple - bottom line

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:20:04 GMT, David Revelle
> wrote:

>My grandfather was very proud of his wine collection, but died when I
>was young enough that I didn't get much benefit during his lifetime.
>When visiting my grandmother a couple of years ago, I went into the now
>almost empty wine cellar and discovered that my grandfather had spent a
>fair amount on his wine, as the labels on the empty racks said that they
>had once held bottles of Ch. Margaux and other fine wines.
>Alas, there is now some cheap wine sitting where the fine Bordeaux once
>was. Absolutely heartbreaking.
>
>But then, off on the side, I discovered that there was stil a bottle of
>1971 Ch. D'Yquem. Knowing that my father would disown me if I drank it
>without him, it has remained hidden in my grandmother's wine cellar
>until this coming weekend, when my dad and I will finally be visiting
>my grandmother at the same time.
>
>I've spent enough time lurking in this group to realize that it is much
>more common for random posters to ask "How much is this worth?" I don't
>want to know that--I just want to drink it. My question is what is the
>best way to do so? Should we just have it by itself as its own dessert
>course, or should I make something to complement it?
>
>David

mpeg

I don't agree with the underneath statement, yes there are other ways. The
one I'm going to write is strangely enough very close to the story of David.

Also my grandfather was a big wine fan and lucky for me he didn't passed
away that early so I took time to learn from him. Our grandfathers were
looking and tasting wine in a different way then we do now, I think it has
to do with the "other" lifestyle people had way back. It's interesting to go
back into that time and to use the ways they were tasting wine and to use
the old food/wine combinations.

I remember very well to have tasted numerous times the combination of
Chateau D'Yquem Sauternes out of the 60's with "Asperges à la flamande".

Aspargus flemish style served with butter and egg

This is a popular entrée in northern Belgium.
INGREDIENTS:

a.. 1/2 kg of white flemish aspargus
b.. juice of 1/2 lemon
c.. 1 teaspoon sugar
d.. salt/pepper
e.. 4 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
f.. 6 ounces butter
g.. handful of parsley,chopped
PREPARATION:

1. Cook the cleaned aspargus in water with some salt, or even better steam
the aspargus.

2. Mix the lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper together and pour over the
aspargus.

3. Just before serving melt the butter, stir in the parsley and pour into a
sauceboat. Cut the eggs in half and put them in a bowl.

To serve:
Let everyone take an egg and crush it on their plate. Mix it with some of
the melted butter. Add the aspargus on top and eat with the egg sauce.

Let me know if this style

"eddie carter" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> all sauternes is best served with/from a nipple - bottom line
>

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:20:04 GMT, David Revelle
> > wrote:
>
> >My grandfather was very proud of his wine collection, but died when I
> >was young enough that I didn't get much benefit during his lifetime.
> >When visiting my grandmother a couple of years ago, I went into the now
> >almost empty wine cellar and discovered that my grandfather had spent a
> >fair amount on his wine, as the labels on the empty racks said that they
> >had once held bottles of Ch. Margaux and other fine wines.
> >Alas, there is now some cheap wine sitting where the fine Bordeaux once
> >was. Absolutely heartbreaking.
> >
> >But then, off on the side, I discovered that there was stil a bottle of
> >1971 Ch. D'Yquem. Knowing that my father would disown me if I drank it
> >without him, it has remained hidden in my grandmother's wine cellar
> >until this coming weekend, when my dad and I will finally be visiting
> >my grandmother at the same time.
> >
> >I've spent enough time lurking in this group to realize that it is much
> >more common for random posters to ask "How much is this worth?" I don't
> >want to know that--I just want to drink it. My question is what is the
> >best way to do so? Should we just have it by itself as its own dessert
> >course, or should I make something to complement it?
> >
> >David

Natatack

Try foie gras on toast points, if your father doesn't have a problem with
triglycerides or cholestrol.It is a classic match.A lot of sauternes have a
tendency to be less sweet than their Westen counterparts and tend to get
overpowered by sweet desserts.
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Natatack,

le/on 07 Oct 2004 15:16:56 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

> A lot of sauternes have a tendency to be less sweet than their Westen counterparts and tend to get
>overpowered by sweet desserts.

Could someone explain this please? I always thought that France was part of
the West.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Michael Pronay

Ian Hoare > wrote:

>> A lot of sauternes have a tendency to be less sweet than their
>> Westen counterparts and tend to get overpowered by sweet
>> desserts.

> Could someone explain this please? I always thought that France
> was part of the West.

Maybe he talks about Sauterne.

M.
Natatack

Sorry Ian,I was speaking of North America,I tend to forget I am writing on a
forum that is international.

Natatack

Sorry Ian,I was speaking of North America,I tend to forget I am writing on a
forum that is international.

TN: DRC, Yquem, Las Cases, Dom. JT Wine 2 01-08-2009 05:33 PM
Sauterne Chateau d'Yquem 1971 [email protected] Wine 6 08-03-2006 02:00 AM
yquem - 1983 Etienne de Kerckhove Wine 1 02-01-2006 07:56 PM
Yquem desert pairing Michael Bartlett Wine 18 14-11-2004 08:46 AM
TN 47 Yquem and other stunners John Taverner Wine 6 27-01-2004 06:42 PM