Dave Bolvin

Default 1999 Beaux Freres

Hello:

First off, I'm a big pinot noir fan. I bought a case of the 1999 Beaux
Freres when it came out, and I've imbibed four bottles spread over the
past few years. Each time has been a big disappointment. I can't tell if
the wine is still "closed" or just plain dull. Wine Spectator loved it
and Parker claims it's great too and ready to drink, but I just don't see
it. Has anybody else had the same experience?

BTW, the 2000 Beaux Freres is great.

Dave Bolvin

dick

I have not had the same issues. However the last bottle I opened was about
6 months back and it was excellent. I do not have enough...but marked in my
notes to try again in 3- years. It was very good but not peaked in
development. Here is from their web site:

http://beauxfreres.com/1999.htm

The best 1999 I had was from Tori Mor---it was the Amelia Rose Cuvee and was
distictivly different than any of the others there. Perhaps more acidic
than most Oregon Pinot. I drank 9 of the 12 already. The last 3 I will try
in 4-5 years to see if they will get even better.

"Dave Bolvin" > wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> First off, I'm a big pinot noir fan. I bought a case of the 1999 Beaux
> Freres when it came out, and I've imbibed four bottles spread over the
> past few years. Each time has been a big disappointment. I can't tell if
> the wine is still "closed" or just plain dull. Wine Spectator loved it
> and Parker claims it's great too and ready to drink, but I just don't see
> it. Has anybody else had the same experience?
>
> BTW, the 2000 Beaux Freres is great.

> Dave Bolvin

Dale Williams

>Parker claims it's great too and ready to drink

I'm surprised, thought he had vowed not to comment on his wine. I haven't had
the '99, but the 2 other Beaux Freres ('95 & '98, I think) I tried make me
unlikely to ever try another on my dime. Decent wine, bad qpr.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dave Bolvin

Actually, I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that the tasting notes on the
Beaux Freres website (and in the mailers) were his, at least in part. If
not, they sure sound like his style.

Dale Williams > wrote:

:>Parker claims it's great too and ready to drink

: I'm surprised, thought he had vowed not to comment on his wine. I haven't had
: the '99, but the 2 other Beaux Freres ('95 & '98, I think) I tried make me
: unlikely to ever try another on my dime. Decent wine, bad qpr.
: Dale

: Dale Williams
: Drop "damnspam" to reply

Dave Bolvin

dick

I agree on the PQR.

The Tory Moor(Amelia rose cuvee) that I bought was Buy 1 Get one Free. And
at a net price of $25.00 bottle is was great. In fact, better than Beaux
Frees at any price.

Oh well. My opinion only.

I bought the Beaux Frees while in Oregon and the price was more reasonable
than what it is here in Charlotte NC. But I probably would not purchase
again.

Enjoy and Happy New Years.

I will admit that
"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> >Parker claims it's great too and ready to drink

> I'm surprised, thought he had vowed not to comment on his wine. I haven't

had
> the '99, but the 2 other Beaux Freres ('95 & '98, I think) I tried make me
> unlikely to ever try another on my dime. Decent wine, bad qpr.
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Kirk-O-Scottland

Since you apparently like high end Oregon pinots (as do I), my favorite over
the years remains Cristom's Marjorie Vineyard.
http://www.cristomwines.com/store/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=13

It's all I can do to hold onto my last three bottles from my `99 case. It
is simply better every time I open it.

I'd think the notes were from Parker's brother in law and winemaker there,
Mike Etzel. I've read as well that Parker does not review his wines.

2005 Beaux Freres Vinyard PN Bi!! Wine 7 06-07-2007 02:00 PM
Beaux Freres, 1996, TN (Disappointing) MarcB Wine 0 16-10-2006 01:50 PM
1999 Pavie Tom S Wine 13 07-09-2004 08:34 AM
Mariage Freres Nadim Audi Tea 8 11-06-2004 12:40 AM
TN Vallet Freres Burgundy tasting Alex Hayne Wine 1 10-11-2003 09:32 PM