Dick R.

Default Pinot Noir Quandary

Hi all,
4-5 years ago I decided Pinot Noir was a good wine to serve
with Thanksgiving turkey. Back then, you could still find
a decent PN in the $10 (US) price range. Things have changed!
Are there any good PNs in the $10 price range, or maybe some
good alternatives?
All suggestions greatly appreciated - Thanksgiving isn't that
far off.

Dick

Dale Williams

In article >, "Dick R." > writes:

>4-5 years ago I decided Pinot Noir was a good wine to serve
>with Thanksgiving turkey. Back then, you could still find
>a decent PN in the $10 (US) price range. Things have changed!
>Are there any good PNs in the $10 price range, or maybe some
>good alternatives?

Good $10 Pinot Noir is really not easy.Hell, drinkable $10 PN isn't that easy.
A tricky grape. I guess my best suggestions would be Gallo of Sonoma,
Duckpond, Pepperwood Grove, or a Bourgogne from a decent maker.

If you can go to $12-13, if you can find Denis Clair Bourgogne-Hautes Côtes de
Beaune or Michel Gros Bourgogne-Hautes Côtes de Nuits, I've liked those. At
$15 maybe Sainstbury Garnet.

For non-PN suggestions:
The $12 Lafarge PTG I just posted on (half pinot noir, half gamay) would be a
good choice. Or a good Beaujolais from a good producer (some producers to look
for are Jean-Paul Brun/Terres Dorrees, Coudert/Clos de la Roilette , Guy
Breton, Lapierre, Thevenet - I personally usually avoid Georges "Banana"
DuBoeuf).

Zin is usually a good match. Plenty of recent threads re choices there.

Doesn't hurt to have a white on table too, I lean towards off-dry Chenin Blanc
or Riesling.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
asdf

I know that this is not 100 % what you are looking for, but ... for daily
drinkers, I have been happy with the following:

HRM Rex Goliath (Giant 47 Pound Rooster) ~ $7.99
Carneros Ridge ~ $6.99 (top seller at our local shop)

I have had a real hard time trying to find something that I really liked in
the $10.00 - $15.00 range.

Eric

Dick R.

asdf wrote:
> I know that this is not 100 % what you are looking for, but ... for daily
> drinkers, I have been happy with the following:
>
> HRM Rex Goliath (Giant 47 Pound Rooster) ~ $7.99
> Carneros Ridge ~ $6.99 (top seller at our local shop)
>
> I have had a real hard time trying to find something that I really liked in
> the $10.00 - $15.00 range.
>
> Eric

ALLRIGHT! Another 47 pound Rooster fan! I just purchased a bunch of
the PN for $5.99 and I think It's great for the money. I'll be serving
this at Thanksgiving also. I'll check out the Carneros Ridge.

Thanks for the reply,
Dick

Jeffrey

Someone suggested "Pepperwood" grove... an ok wine, but not of the quality
one would want to serve to guests...

Jeff

"Dick R." > wrote in message ...
> Hi all,
> 4-5 years ago I decided Pinot Noir was a good wine to serve
> with Thanksgiving turkey. Back then, you could still find
> a decent PN in the $10 (US) price range. Things have changed!
> Are there any good PNs in the $10 price range, or maybe some
> good alternatives?
> All suggestions greatly appreciated - Thanksgiving isn't that
> far off.
>
> Dick

Dick R.

Dale Williams wrote:
> In article >, "Dick R." > writes:
>>4-5 years ago I decided Pinot Noir was a good wine to serve
>>with Thanksgiving turkey. Back then, you could still find
>>a decent PN in the $10 (US) price range. Things have changed!
>>Are there any good PNs in the $10 price range, or maybe some
>>good alternatives?

> Good $10 Pinot Noir is really not easy.Hell, drinkable $10 PN isn't that easy.
> A tricky grape. I guess my best suggestions would be Gallo of Sonoma,
> Duckpond, Pepperwood Grove, or a Bourgogne from a decent maker.
>
> If you can go to $12-13, if you can find Denis Clair Bourgogne-Hautes Côtes de
> Beaune or Michel Gros Bourgogne-Hautes Côtes de Nuits, I've liked those. At
> $15 maybe Sainstbury Garnet.
>
> For non-PN suggestions:
> The $12 Lafarge PTG I just posted on (half pinot noir, half gamay) would be a
> good choice. Or a good Beaujolais from a good producer (some producers to look
> for are Jean-Paul Brun/Terres Dorrees, Coudert/Clos de la Roilette , Guy
> Breton, Lapierre, Thevenet - I personally usually avoid Georges "Banana"
> DuBoeuf).
>
> Zin is usually a good match. Plenty of recent threads re choices there.
>
> Doesn't hurt to have a white on table too, I lean towards off-dry Chenin Blanc
> or Riesling.
> Dale

Hi Dale,
As always, I appreciate your suggestions. I'll see what I can find
in the French department, but my favorite liquor store favors DuBoeuf
wines. I like Zin for a turkey match, but I also want to provide
something lighter (Rex Goliath 47 pound Rooster :-) ) for some folks,
(including me) and maybe a 1998 Argyle (Oregon) PN for those who will
appreciate it (including me).

A Piesporter Riesling is always good for most folks, but I've never
placed a bottle of Chenin Blanc on the table. This year I will.

I think the days of good $10 PNs are gone forever. :-(

Thanks for your suggestions,
Dick

Bob

Dick,

A pretty darned good buy in PN Oregon is the Coopers Creek 2001 PN
Willamette Valley Estate. WS-86, $10-(8.99 from Enocollection online).
Another but very good Pinot Noir is the Kings Ridge (Oregon again) Pinot
Noir Oregon 2001, WS-87, Price $14(13.99 from Enocollection.com online).

Speaking of the 47 pound rooster stuff I bought some of that just to
see what it would be like. I was really expecting some dreadful lighter
fluid stuff but found it to be quite pleasing.

Winespectator.com shows 101 ratings from 85-100 at price points of $20
or less and I believe I limited my search to just Oregon wines.

If I didn't, then I limited my search to just Carneros, Oregon and New
York.

Bob

--
In times of change, there is no incentive so great, and no
medicine so powerful as hope for a better tomorrow.
jcoulter

"Dick R." > wrote in :

> Hi Dale,
> As always, I appreciate your suggestions. I'll see what I can find
> in the French department, but my favorite liquor store favors DuBoeuf
> wines.

DuBoeuf isn't bad it isn't great though and I would "never" buy the Moulin
a Vent despite the 12USD price tag to Jadot's 19USD, but the Fluerie and
Morgons are better than Jadot and represent the only other option I have
found for cru Beaujolais in my part of the woods.
Dick R.

Default Champagne, etc.

Let me start with a :-)
Wouldn't it be a bummer if France banned the export of
French words and phrases to English-speaking countries?
I sure would miss those hors d'oeuvres!
:-)
Dick

Dick R.

Hi Bob,
I'll check them out - glad you liked the "Rooster".
Dick

Bob wrote:
> Dick,
> A pretty darned good buy in PN Oregon is the Coopers Creek 2001 PN
> Willamette Valley Estate. WS-86, $10-(8.99 from Enocollection online).
> Another but very good Pinot Noir is the Kings Ridge (Oregon again) Pinot
> Noir Oregon 2001, WS-87, Price $14(13.99 from Enocollection.com online).
>
> Speaking of the 47 pound rooster stuff I bought some of that just to
> see what it would be like. I was really expecting some dreadful lighter
> fluid stuff but found it to be quite pleasing.

Dick R.

jcoulter wrote:
<snip>

> DuBoeuf isn't bad it isn't great though and I would "never" buy the Moulin
> a Vent despite the 12USD price tag to Jadot's 19USD, but the Fluerie and
> Morgons are better than Jadot and represent the only other option I have
> found for cru Beaujolais in my part of the woods.

For a while, I tried many Beaujolais. The DuBoeuf 1997 Julienas Flower Label
was wonderful! I tried several DuBoeuf and Jadot after that, but wasn't
impressed. I kind of gave up on Beaujolais, but maybe it's time to re-visit
them!

Thanks for the reply,
Dick

Dale Williams

In article . 17>, jcoulter
> writes:

>DuBoeuf isn't bad it isn't great though and I would "never" buy the Moulin
>a Vent despite the 12USD price tag to Jadot's 19USD, but the Fluerie and
>Morgons are better than Jadot and represent the only other option I have
>found for cru Beaujolais in my part of the woods.

I've had some ok DuBoeufs, but too often there's that weird banana meets berry
thing (I have read comments saying it's a particular yeast that DuBoeuf
favors). I think the best I've had from him was indeed the Morgon.

If you're someplace you can do mailorder, it's really worth trying what smaller
producers can do, in my opinion.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dale Williams

In article >, "Dick R." > writes:

>but I've never
>placed a bottle of Chenin Blanc on the table.

A good Vouvray would be what I would look for, though some domestic CBs like
Dry Creek can be good values, too.

I look forward to your notes. This Rex Goliath seems to get a lot of attention,
I haven't seen around here but will keep eyes open.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Bill Spohn

>DuBoeuf isn't bad it isn't great though and I would "never" buy the Moulin
>a Vent despite the 12USD price tag to Jadot's 19USD, but the Fluerie and
>Morgons are better than Jadot and represent the only other option I have
>found for cru Beaujolais

I thought you guys were talking about pinot noir based wines. Did you switch
subjects when I wasn't watching, and without changing the header?
Dick R.

Hi Bill,
Yup, it got switched around a little when I asked for "alternatives"
if there was no good PN to be found. That's how these threads
go sometimes. :-)
Cheers,
Dick

Bill Spohn wrote:
>>DuBoeuf isn't bad it isn't great though and I would "never" buy the Moulin
>>a Vent despite the 12USD price tag to Jadot's 19USD, but the Fluerie and
>>Morgons are better than Jadot and represent the only other option I have
>>found for cru Beaujolais

> I thought you guys were talking about pinot noir based wines. Did you switch
> subjects when I wasn't watching, and without changing the header?

Dick R.

Default Pinot Noir Quandary - Hi Bill

Hi Bill,
Didn't mean to sound like a twit. I've been reading your posts for
several years, and I very much respect your opinions. What would
you suggest?

Thanks,
Dick

Bill Spohn wrote:
>>DuBoeuf isn't bad it isn't great though and I would "never" buy the Moulin
>>a Vent despite the 12USD price tag to Jadot's 19USD, but the Fluerie and
>>Morgons are better than Jadot and represent the only other option I have
>>found for cru Beaujolais

> I thought you guys were talking about pinot noir based wines. Did you switch
> subjects when I wasn't watching, and without changing the header?

asdf

>> Are there any good PNs in the $10 price range, or maybe some
>> good alternatives?

> I thought you guys were talking about pinot noir based wines. Did you

switch
> subjects when I wasn't watching, and without changing the header?

I know that Dick R. already replied, but I will add the original poster also
asked for good alternatives.

Eric

Bill Spohn

>What would
>you suggest?

As a substitute for PN - there really isn't one, although there are many grapes
that are light weight poseurs without the same breeding.

I rather like the Carneros Creek wines if one must drink New World Pinot. ;-)
Natatack

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby try the Deloach OFS pinot.They bought out
their inventory in a bancruptcy sale.The OFS which was a $25-30 wine is selling
for $10.99.Beware tho I've been told of some going thru a secondary
fermentation.They also have a Ballatto vinyard and a plain Russian River
bottling.

Dale Williams

In article >, "Jeffrey" >
writes:

>Someone suggested "Pepperwood" grove... an ok wine, but not of the quality
>one would want to serve to guests.

I thought it decent for it's $6 price tag. As I said, it's really hard to come
up with DRINKABLE Pinot Noir under $10 in the US. I probably wouldn't buy it,
though I would buy the Pepperwood Grove Syrah again at $6.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dick R

Hi all,
The 1997 Pepperwood was great, as were many 1997 California wines.
I keep trying the Pepperwood every year, but it never matches up
to the 1997. It's still worth a sip, regardless.

Dick

Dale Williams wrote:
> In article >, "Jeffrey" >
> writes:
>
>>Someone suggested "Pepperwood" grove... an ok wine, but not of the quality
>>one would want to serve to guests.

> I thought it decent for it's $6 price tag. As I said, it's really hard to come
> up with DRINKABLE Pinot Noir under $10 in the US. I probably wouldn't buy it,
> though I would buy the Pepperwood Grove Syrah again at $6.
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Clint

I always heard the russian river valley PN's were
the top notch in america (as far as Pinot Noirs go),
but I haven't been impressed with them... believe
it or not, my favorite american made PN so far
as been Gallo of Sonoma.... about $10-$12/bottle.
Cherry notes, very nice. Not as acidic as some
PN's.

Clint

"Jeffrey" > wrote in message
> Someone suggested "Pepperwood" grove... an ok wine, but not of the

quality
> one would want to serve to guests...
>
> Jeff
>
> "Dick R." > wrote in message

> > Hi all,
> > 4-5 years ago I decided Pinot Noir was a good wine to serve
> > with Thanksgiving turkey. Back then, you could still find
> > a decent PN in the $10 (US) price range. Things have changed!
> > Are there any good PNs in the $10 price range, or maybe some
> > good alternatives?
> > All suggestions greatly appreciated - Thanksgiving isn't that
> > far off.
> >
> > Dick

dick

To each his own I guess. I like Gallo of Sonoma Cabs but cant stand their
Pinot.

Look north to Oregon for nice Pinots.

dick

"Clint" <rattlehead at computron dot net> wrote in message
> I always heard the russian river valley PN's were
> the top notch in america (as far as Pinot Noirs go),
> but I haven't been impressed with them... believe
> it or not, my favorite american made PN so far
> as been Gallo of Sonoma.... about $10-$12/bottle.
> Cherry notes, very nice. Not as acidic as some
> PN's.
>
> Clint
>
> "Jeffrey" > wrote in message
> > Someone suggested "Pepperwood" grove... an ok wine, but not of the

> quality
> > one would want to serve to guests...
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > "Dick R." > wrote in message

> > > Hi all,
> > > 4-5 years ago I decided Pinot Noir was a good wine to serve
> > > with Thanksgiving turkey. Back then, you could still find
> > > a decent PN in the $10 (US) price range. Things have changed!
> > > Are there any good PNs in the $10 price range, or maybe some
> > > good alternatives?
> > > All suggestions greatly appreciated - Thanksgiving isn't that
> > > far off.
> > >
> > > Dick

Dana Myers

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:42:19 +0000, dick wrote:

> Look north to Oregon for nice Pinots.

> "Clint" <rattlehead at computron dot net> wrote in message
>> I always heard the russian river valley PN's were
>> the top notch in america (as far as Pinot Noirs go),
>> but I haven't been impressed with them... believe
>> it or not, my favorite american made PN so far
>> as been Gallo of Sonoma

Heh. Oregon certainly is producing some superb
Pinot Noir these days, but I'm seeing some great
stuff come out of the Anderson Valley as well.

Dana

dick

Goldeneye from Mendicino is pretty good.

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:42:19 +0000, dick wrote:
>
> > Look north to Oregon for nice Pinots.

> > "Clint" <rattlehead at computron dot net> wrote in message
> >> I always heard the russian river valley PN's were
> >> the top notch in america (as far as Pinot Noirs go),
> >> but I haven't been impressed with them... believe
> >> it or not, my favorite american made PN so far
> >> as been Gallo of Sonoma

> Heh. Oregon certainly is producing some superb
> Pinot Noir these days, but I'm seeing some great
> stuff come out of the Anderson Valley as well.
>
> Dana

Dana Myers

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:26:10 +0000, dick wrote:

> Goldeneye from Mendicino is pretty good.

Yup. And, from not far away, Lazy Creek is making
some superb Pinot Noir. Navarro is consistent, too.

Dana

D. Gerasimatos

In article . net>,
dick > wrote:

>To each his own I guess. I like Gallo of Sonoma Cabs but cant stand their
>Pinot.
>
>Look north to Oregon for nice Pinots.

I recently tried Ken Wright's pinots. How are they as far as Oregon goes?
I thought fairly well regarded, but they didn't blow me away. The pinots coming
out of the coastal areas of California are really good. I like Siduri,
which also makes pinot out of Oregon fruit in some of their bottlings.

Dimitri

Mark Lipton

Dana Myers wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:26:10 +0000, dick wrote:
>
> > Goldeneye from Mendicino is pretty good.

> Yup. And, from not far away, Lazy Creek is making
> some superb Pinot Noir. Navarro is consistent, too.

I agree, Dana. Lazy Creek can be outstanding, whereas Navarro is
almost always an attractive wine.

Mark Lipton

Dana Myers

Mark Lipton wrote:

> Dana Myers wrote:
>>On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:26:10 +0000, dick wrote:

>>>Goldeneye from Mendicino is pretty good.

>>Yup. And, from not far away, Lazy Creek is making
>>some superb Pinot Noir. Navarro is consistent, too.

> I agree, Dana. Lazy Creek can be outstanding, whereas Navarro is
> almost always an attractive wine.

Josh at LC is really experimenting with the ragged edge, and most of the
time is really hitting a home run. It's a joy to see someone hanging it
out... though he'll eventually attain cult status and I won't be able to
afford it any longer :-)

Navarro's PN is remarkably consistent, never a disappointment. However,
I'm more impressed by their often outstanding Cuvee 128 Sauvignon Blanc
and the consistently superb Pinot Gris. In fact, I also like Navarro's
gently-styled Chardonnays quite a bit and they make a nice Gewurz - though
LC's Gewurz is very very good (just opened one this weekend and *loved* it).

Another consistently superb product from Anderson Valley - Roederer Estate
Non-Vintage Brut. It provides an excellent QPR without question.

Now I'm gonna have to make good on the Anderson Valley day trip I've
been threatening for a couple of weeks now.

Dana

Pinot Noir aesthete8 Wine 6 11-12-2010 04:48 PM
Best Pinot Noir within $40? Professor Wine 31 11-12-2006 02:22 AM
Pinot Noir Mike Winemaking 9 11-09-2004 12:45 AM
Pinot Noir Tasting Xyzsch Wine 0 18-04-2004 07:30 AM
Pinot Noir ernie Winemaking 4 10-04-2004 10:08 PM