jcoulter

Default Atlanta, Georgia, USA, N.A., 3rd rock from the sun

With great trepidation, I ask for information on wine shops in the Northern
end of the aforementioned metropolitan area. Buckhead, Perimeter Mall or
thereabouts.

Thank you for your replies, I think ;-)
Dale Williams

In article >, jcoulter
> writes:

>ith great trepidation, I ask for information on wine shops in the Northern
>end of the aforementioned metropolitan area. Buckhead, Perimeter Mall or
>thereabouts.

My brother lives in Alpharetta. For gifts, I have occasionally called The Wine
Store on Holcomb Bridge Rd. Seem to have decent selection (I've bought
Pertimali ST and Ridge Geyserville), at prices that seem not exorbitant -they
were a little more than here, but NY is a competitive market.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Rob

In June I moved from Atlanta to Boise, Idaho. Here are my favorite wine
stores in Atlanta:

Tower Liquor: they have locations on Piedmont, near Cheshire Bridge Road --
which is basically Buckhead, and on Buford Highway, just north of 285. I
was a regular at the Buckhead store. They have a mostly great staff and
some of the best prices in Atlanta. They have a good but not great
selection of Bordeaux, Italian Reds (Piedmont & Tuscan), California wines,
Australian reds, Vintage Port. Good store.

For top end Bordeaux, Pearsons, in Buckhead is excellent. Prices at the low
end are a little high but they are pretty good at the higher end. (I got a
1998 Vieux-Chateau Certan and a 1998 Chateau Pavie for about USD$100 each,
but their Chianti Classicos are usually a little high).

Buckhead Fine Wines also has some amazing Bordeaux but if you're not 55,
white, and driving a Benz they won't give you the time of day. I'd don't
like them.

Macs, in Midtown, near the Cheetah strip club (I was not a regular -- they
were a client of mine, and, yes, my wife believes this story) has an
interesting selection at times but I'm always worried about storage
issues -- it always seems a little warm there and I've had some cooked wines
from Macs.

Toco Giant, in Toco Hills, isn't too bad. They usually have some pretty
interesting high end stuff and a good selection of mid and low priced wines.

As Dale mentioned, the The Wine Store, in Alpharetta is pretty good. They
have a great selection of wines, for Atlanta, from all over the world. I
bought a 1998 Bruno Giacosa Rocche del Falletto there for USD150. Their
prices are a little high -- I bought the same Giacosa here in Boise for
USD120. But The Wine Store has a good selection -- the owner is a former
Atlanta Falcons player and the manager is married to one of my sister's best
friends from high school.

There is a place that just opened, within the last year, it's on Peachtree,
in Brookhaven -- near a hippy-type pizza place, I can't remember the name
(Sherlock's Wine?) -- they have a good selection but rather high prices.
It's mainly for the Buckhead types who get their wine information from the
occasional copy of Wine Spectator, which they read in either their stock
broker's waiting room or their marriage counselor's waiting room. They have
another location on Northside Drive, on the other side of Buckhead. The
Peachtree location has Saturday wine tastings, though.

Greens Liquor, on Ponce de Leon, near City Hall East, and on Buford Highway,
between Lenox Road and North Druid Hills, also has a good selection and good
prices. I would be afraid to buy anything too old, though -- they have
temperature controlled storage for high end stuff but I wouldn't trust them
for anything over USD100.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

If you go to my old neighborhood, East Lake/Oakhurst, you can probably get a
deal on some Olde English 800 malt liquor and some lottey tickets -- not to
mention some cheap crack. If you see my dogs from the East Lake 'hood
give'em a shout out and tell'em to BITE ME!!! They're the fellas holding
their pants up with one hand and their 40 with the other hand.

Obviously, I'm real happy to have left the ATL, kno'w'm'sa'n'?

Peace out,

Rob Adelson

"jcoulter" > wrote in message
6.16...
> With great trepidation, I ask for information on wine shops in the

Northern
> end of the aforementioned metropolitan area. Buckhead, Perimeter Mall or
> thereabouts.
>
> Thank you for your replies, I think ;-)

CabFan

You forgot to mention Mink's on Delk Road --- great staff, decent selection.

You can also drive out to Douglasville (about 25 minutes east of Atlanta on
I-20) and check out Arbor Place Liquors --- not much exclusive stuff, but a
little bit and they will be happy to order anything you need (if they can
get it). I drive from Birmingham about once a month to buy Port and am
always satisfied.

lump charcoal options/sources in Atlanta, Georgia area? Woogeroo Barbecue 3 21-06-2007 06:07 PM
Atlanta Mark Shaw Barbecue 8 22-02-2007 01:10 PM
Rock drilling tools--DTH hammer and bit, open pit, surface, underground ming, quarrying, tunnelling equipment, drill rod, drag bit, taper rod,taper bit, water well drilling, button bit, thread bit, shank adapter for rock drills, drill tube, drill pip [email protected] Baking 0 26-10-2006 10:49 AM
Atlanta Q Bob Schmidt Barbecue 7 09-12-2004 03:10 PM
RIP - Dogwood Brewing Company, Atlanta Georgia Sean Maxwell Beer 1 12-09-2004 03:25 AM