Bill Spohn

Default 2001 Burgundies

2002 Dom. de la Soufrandiere Pouilly Vinzelles Climat "Les Quarts' - the young
Bret brothers in the Macon (I wonder if they get kidded about that name?) make
their own wine these days, having opted out of the co-op that they used to
belong to. This wine had some good oak, was soft yet balanced in the mouth,
with pretty good length and quite good flavour concentration considering where
it comes from, but at $41 Can. perhaps not quite the value it could be.

2001 Chantal Lescure Cote de Beaune 'Le Grande Chatelaine' - clean and crisp
yet with plenty of stuffing, ending both with an impression of sweetness and
also with assertive acidity. $29 (all prices Can.)

2001 Francois *** Chorey-les-Beaunes - the first white was quite light in
colour, high toned perfumed nose with some cloves, and good weight in the
mouth. Good bet for a near term luncheon Burg. $29

2001 Bruno Clair Marsannay 'Les Grasses Tetes' - very light in colour, simple
cherry nose, pretty good concetration. $44 (Interesting - my spellchecker came
up with 'grassy testes' for that one. Think that might tickle.....)

2001 Bruno Clair Vosne Romanee 'Les Champs Perdix' - a pretty berry nose sweet
and lively in the mouth, with good length and elegance (a common Clair trait).
Drink now and for about 5 years. $73

2001 Chantal Lescure Vosne Romanee 1er Cru 'Les Suchots' - the style of this
producer is clearly more in the idiom of Doudet Naudin - the lovers of elegant
wines such as Clair produces might call it a bit heavy handed, but I like the
solidity. Vanilla and cherries in the nose, although the oak takes first place
right now. Darker colour than the previous wines, very tasty and balanced and
much heftier than the Clair. Unfortunately at $98 the price is also heftier.
$98

2001 Chantal Lescure Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru 'Les Vallerots' - this wine was
again, fairly dark and had a good touch of oak. It had good acidity but lacked
the weight of the Vosne, and showed a slight astringency at the end. $69

2001 Bruno Clair Gevrey Chambertain 1er Cru 'Petit Chapelle' - lighter than
the previous wine, and side by side it looked older and more mature. It was
quite sweet in the nose and was smooth and long in the mouth, with excellent
length, ready to drink now. $88

2001 Chantal Lescure Pommard 'Les Vaumuriens' - medium colour, good flavour
intensity, a chunky wine with evident tannin, and perhaps a tad simple right
now. Will start to drink well with another couple of years of age. $52

2001 Prince Florent de Merode Pommard 'Clos de la Platiere' - colour was again
on the light side, and the nose was reticent, but when it did show up it was
primarily strawberries. Light in the mouth, elegant, and not serious contender
for my cellar. $47

2001 Prince Florent de Merode Corton 'Les Renardes' Grand Cru - nose of this
one was also a bit closed, the wine decent on palate if a bit simple. $69

2001 Prince Florent de Merode Corton 'Les Bressandes' Grand Cru - an excellent
and slightly hot spirity nose, bright in the mouth with good depth. Very nice
wine with 15 years ahead of it. $74

2001 Prince Florent de Merode Corton 'Clos du Roi' - smooth and enjoyable in
the mouth, lots of flavour, soft tannins, a classy wine with time - drink over
the next 10 years. $74
Cwdjrx _

Dale Williams states: "I've never heard of Prince Florent de Merode. Is
this a house you see a lot of in Canada? Negociant or grower?"

Prince de Merode is a domaine owning mostly Corton, but a little
Pommard. I bought some of his Corton in the US back in the mid 70s. I
will give you some information from a bottle I still have.

1971 Corton Bressandes; Mise du Domaine - Appellation Controlee; Prince
de Merode; Serigny (Cote d'Or). It was imported into the US by Robert
Haas Co. Inc, Chester, Vermont.

The price sticker still attached reads $16.29 (US$). The wine is still
holding fairly well, but was better earlier.

Bill Spohn

>Sounds nice, but doesn't $44 (even Canadian!) seem a little steep for
>Marsannay?

Indeed - which is why it is not on my to-buy list
Bill Spohn

>I've never heard of Prince Florent de Merode

From Parker - 4 stars:

(31-Aug-95)
Since the 1989 vintage, Prince Florent de Merode has returned to the form that
made this estate so famous in the fifties and sixties. The wines are being
bottled without fining or filtration, resulting in wines with sweeter, richer,
creamier textures, and far more aromatic intensity and development potential.
Merode's 1992s, which were richly fruity but light and neither tannic nor
powerful in cask, were delicious wines from bottle - in large part because the
wines were bottled naturally.
This historic domaine, owned by the Merode family since the mid seventeenth
century, is a treasure trove of top vineyards. The estate's return to an
emphasis on low yields and natural bottling is to be applauded by all who adore
red burgundy.

Xyzsch

>From Parker - 4 stars:
>

>(31-Aug-95)
>Since the 1989 vintage, Prince Florent de Merode has returned to the form
>that
>made this estate so famous in the fifties and sixties.

I had a bottle or two in the distant past but shied away from them because of
their spotty reputation. Maybe I should try Prince de Merode's wines again.

The prices from this producer seem to be quite reasonable. I've seen several
times in mail order catalogs.

MacArthurs (DC) has 99 Corton Bressandes on sale for 37.99 and 99 Corton Clos
de Roi for 44.99. 99 Pommard Platiere for 27.99.

How about 93 Corton Renardes closeout from Brown Derby for 19.99? (I think I
may gamble on this one, even though some seem to think Pinot Noir under $40 are
not good, a position I do not accept, in general.)

Has anyone tried these wines?

Tom Schellberg

Grand Cru Burgundies Bill S. Wine 0 08-02-2012 05:05 PM
looking for good burgundies [email protected] Wine 1 20-07-2008 11:24 PM
TN: '96 & '92 Burgundies, '00 Crozes, '97 VP DaleW Wine 0 10-12-2006 10:46 PM
TN: Some Burgundies with lunch Max Hauser Wine 4 24-08-2004 08:35 PM
2002 Burgundies Sojourner Wine 3 05-02-2004 09:49 PM