Jaybert41

Default Stratagy regarding '02 Bordeaux Futures

For personal and sentimental reasons I am in the market for '02 Mouton, Cos
d'Estournel, Ducru Beauciallou, and Durfort Vivens. I am a little worried
about all of the hype surrounding Mouton and Cos in regards the soon to be
released Parker scores- and their subsequent price increases. I hate to worry
about Parker scores especially, but I wanted to get opinions on whether or not
Mouton ($109-125), Cos ($60-99) and Ducru ($40-45) might be had at these prices
again. Of course it is all speculative; I'm just looking for a fresh opinion.

Thanks,
jason
Jaybert41

On the same note regarding futures, has anybody any experience with Wine
Discount Center in Chicago? They have a small selection of '02's and the best
prices. Like everyone else I just dont want to have my order dropped between
now and shipment.

Thanks.
jason
Mark Lipton

Jaybert41 wrote:

> On the same note regarding futures, has anybody any experience with Wine
> Discount Center in Chicago? They have a small selection of '02's and the best
> prices. Like everyone else I just dont want to have my order dropped between
> now and shipment.

I've shopped there on occasion. Excellent prices, spotty selection. Completely
reputable AFAIK.

Mark Lipton

Dale Williams

In article >,
(Jaybert41) writes:

>For personal and sentimental reasons I am in the market for '02 Mouton, Cos
>d'Estournel, Ducru Beauciallou, and Durfort Vivens. I am a little worried
>about all of the hype surrounding Mouton and Cos in regards the soon to be
>released Parker scores- and their subsequent price increases. I hate to
>worry about Parker scores especially, but I wanted to get opinions on whether

or
>not Mouton ($109-125), Cos ($60-99) and Ducru ($40-45) might be had at these
>prices again. Of course it is all speculative; I'm just looking for a fresh
>opinion.

Well, there are two competing trends. In the first, prices on wine in US have
been under economic pressures. I've seen a lot of very good deals. In French
wine, slack post-B2K demand led to lower pricing in the 2001 and especially
2002 vintages. Could this trend accelarate? The second trend is the weak US
dollar. Distributors, importers, etc. have been eating the difference (see
trend #1). But they won't keep that up forever.

In any case, predicting economic trends is really hard, no matter what the
market newsletter guys tell you. Whether it's the US forecasters who said the
stock market would falter in 1998, or that it could only go up in 2000, there's
a lot of guessing in there. In US, RP scores make such a difference, that make
another unpredictable factor. As I said in the Sauternes future thread, if
you're buying futures:
Buy early if you can
Buy only because you KNOW YOU WANT the wine
Be prepared to shrug it off if you're wrong re prices (either way)

The best reason to buy is that you know you want some top wines from that year
(sentimental reasons, or whatever). We were married in 2001, so I bought some
Bdx futures, plus Sauternes. 2002 doesn't hold the same attraction. If I taste
barrel samples and like, might go then.

You also wrote:
"On the same note regarding futures, has anybody any experience with Wine
Discount Center in Chicago? They have a small selection of '02's and the best
prices. Like everyone else I just dont want to have my order dropped between"

Warning, Will Robinson, Danger! (you're too young for that reference). Be very
very careful there. The Rare LLC story is the worst (1000s of people out big
bucks), but only buy futures from retailers with long histories of delivering
futures, sterling reputations, brick & mortar stores. In Midwest, I wouldn't
hesitate ordering from Sam's or Binny's. But I've never heard of Wine Dicount
Center. If Mark or another area person says they are very reputable, great. But
otherwise, look forthe best price from PremierCru (I know the Mouton is $109
there), Sams, Rochambeau, PJs, Sherry-Lehmann, K & L, Wine Exchange,
MacArthur's (though I think even there they had delivery problems in 1990),
etc. It's worth a little a premium for confidence.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
dick

These are good words from Dale...

Its like buying life insurance to protect your family. You pay your entire
life...when you die you expect them to be there to pay the claim.

If you buy a company that has a good price but a poor rating....they die and
go before you do...you have lost.

My point is...buy from a reputable source and make sure you buy the wine you
want. Plus 20 years from now when you drink the bordeaux wines...and they
are sooo good, you won't worry that you paid 3-5% more...but if you don't
have the wine you will remember getting screwed.