Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 nice Italians - Chianti Classico and Etna Rosso

With Batali's parsnip/pancetta pasta, the 2006 Fontodi Chianti
Classico. Larger framed CC, big black cherry fruit, slightly
surprising oaky vanilla notes, moderate tannins, good acids. Not
especially friendly, needs time. I often find Sangiovese doesn't do
well overnight, but this is better on night 2, more integrated and
less overt oak. Will leave others alone for a few years. B/B+

With takeout pizza, the 2005 Biondi "Outis" Etna Rosso. I loved the
'04 of this, and am not disappointed with the '05. Maybe a bit more
fruit forward than I remembered the previous vintage, but still a
lovely balance of fruit, acids, and light tannins. Cherry/kirsch
fruit, lively in mouth, some peppery spice. Good length, not a
blockbuster but sweet and elegant. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 3, 11:08�am, DaleW > wrote:
> With Batali's parsnip/pancetta pasta, the 2006 Fontodi Chianti
> Classico. Larger framed CC, big black cherry fruit, slightly
> surprising oaky vanilla notes, moderate tannins, good acids. Not
> especially friendly, needs time. I often find Sangiovese doesn't do
> well overnight, but this is better on night 2, more integrated and
> less overt oak. Will leave others alone for a few years. B/B+
>
> With takeout pizza, the 2005 Biondi "Outis" Etna Rosso. I loved the
> '04 of this, and am not disappointed with the '05. Maybe a bit more
> fruit forward than I remembered �the previous vintage, but still a
> lovely balance of fruit, acids, and light tannins. Cherry/kirsch
> fruit, lively in mouth, some peppery spice. Good length, not a
> blockbuster but sweet and elegant. B+/A-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent�wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't�drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no�promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> consistency.��

Can I assume that the Etna Rosso was Nerello Mascalese? I've had a
number of them recently and they always remind me of a cross between
Grenache and Pinot Noir.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 3, 1:37*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Dec 3, 11:08 am, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > With Batali's parsnip/pancetta pasta, the 2006 Fontodi Chianti
> > Classico. Larger framed CC, big black cherry fruit, slightly
> > surprising oaky vanilla notes, moderate tannins, good acids. Not
> > especially friendly, needs time. I often find Sangiovese doesn't do
> > well overnight, but this is better on night 2, more integrated and
> > less overt oak. Will leave others alone for a few years. B/B+

> > With takeout pizza, the 2005 Biondi "Outis" Etna Rosso. I loved the
> > '04 of this, and am not disappointed with the '05. Maybe a bit more
> > fruit forward than I remembered the previous vintage, but still a
> > lovely balance of fruit, acids, and light tannins. Cherry/kirsch
> > fruit, lively in mouth, some peppery spice. Good length, not a
> > blockbuster but sweet and elegant. B+/A-

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> > excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> > wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> > offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> > consistency.

> Can I assume that the Etna Rosso was Nerello Mascalese? *I've had a
> number of them recently and they always remind me of a cross between
> Grenache and Pinot Noir.

I think the Biondi Etna Rosso is about 80% Nerello Mascalese, with the
remainder the other Nerello (the second part of the grape name I don't
remember). I'd say reminds me of a cross between Sangiovese and Pinot
Noir, but that's a quibble. In any case I tend to like Etna Rosso, the
combination of high altitudes and volcanic soil make for a more
elegant wine than my prejudices about Sicily would expect.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 4, 4:12�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Dec 3, 1:37�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 3, 11:08 am, DaleW > wrote:

> > > With Batali's parsnip/pancetta pasta, the 2006 Fontodi Chianti
> > > Classico. Larger framed CC, big black cherry fruit, slightly
> > > surprising oaky vanilla notes, moderate tannins, good acids. Not
> > > especially friendly, needs time. I often find Sangiovese doesn't do
> > > well overnight, but this is better on night 2, more integrated and
> > > less overt oak. Will leave others alone for a few years. B/B+

> > > With takeout pizza, the 2005 Biondi "Outis" Etna Rosso. I loved the
> > > '04 of this, and am not disappointed with the '05. Maybe a bit more
> > > fruit forward than I remembered the previous vintage, but still a
> > > lovely balance of fruit, acids, and light tannins. Cherry/kirsch
> > > fruit, lively in mouth, some peppery spice. Good length, not a
> > > blockbuster but sweet and elegant. B+/A-

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> > > excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> > > wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> > > offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> > > consistency.

> > Can I assume that the Etna Rosso was Nerello Mascalese? �I've had a
> > number of them recently and they always remind me of a cross between
> > Grenache and Pinot Noir.

> I think the Biondi Etna Rosso is about 80% Nerello Mascalese, with the
> remainder the other Nerello (the second part of the grape name I don't
> remember). I'd say reminds me of a cross between Sangiovese and Pinot
> Noir, but that's a quibble. In any case I tend to like Etna Rosso, the
> combination of high altitudes and volcanic soil make for a more
> elegant wine than my prejudices about Sicily would expect.- Hide quoted text -

Cappuccio? I had to get past those impressions of Scilian wines
also. I've been drinking a lot of Passopisciaro lately which is from
Etna and made from Nerello Mascalese, the top line wine is called
Franchetti and is made from Petite Verdot and Cesanese both from high
up on Mt Etna.

CHianti Classico NilsGLindgren Wine 5 06-11-2011 10:03 AM
[TN} 2009 Etna Rosso Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 13-09-2011 05:03 PM
Chianti Classico, whom to visit? NilsGLindgren Wine 21 31-08-2011 10:43 AM
TN: Chianti Classico and NZ SB DaleW Wine 0 06-10-2007 06:16 PM
Chianti Classico Tasting.. Great Chianti's and an AMAZING Vin Santo Wildetuinn Wine 0 15-09-2006 08:06 AM