Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Valtellina and Veltliner (probably for M. Pronay)

Checking wine lists during a recent vacation in Switzerland
(Graubünden/Grisons), I noticed that the German name for the Valtellina area
in Lombardy is "Veltlin".

Is there any evidence for "Grüner Veltliner" coming initially from that
region or is it just one of those misleading names like Tokay d'Alsace or
Portugieser? Is this grape possibly still grown in the Valtellina?

Thanks to all (not only M. Pronay )) for coping with my curiosity...

Yves

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Yves" > wrote:

> Checking wine lists during a recent vacation in Switzerland
> (Graubünden/Grisons), I noticed that the German name for the
> Valtellina area in Lombardy is "Veltlin".
>
> Is there any evidence for "Grüner Veltliner" coming initially
> from that region

No.

> or is it just one of those misleading names like Tokay d'Alsace
> or Portugieser?

Yes.

> Is this grape possibly still grown in the Valtellina?

No. What the Swiss Germans call "Veltliner"
(= [wine from] Valtellina) is always red.

Btw, the complete parentage of Grüner Veltliner has been
found out a few weeks ago. The mother grape, Traminer, had been
pinned down already a few years ago, while the father was
unknown.

An old more or less wild rootstock in a former pasture land in
St. Georgen, Burgenland (today part of Burgenland's capital,
Eisenstadt) has been genetically identified as the fahther of
Grüner Veltliner. Hans Moser, wine-grower in St. Georgen, was
told by an old former sheperd that the grapes tasted quite sweet
and muscaty, which would explain the former synonym of Grüner
Veltliner, "Grünmuskateller". He convinced Ferdinand Regener
from Klosterneuburg vitcultural school (the leading ampelographist
in Austia) to investigate, and now it has been confirmed. The
unknown grape was given the name of "St. Georgen". Burgenländers
are quite proud of the fact that Burgenland has been found to be
the home of one of GV's ancestors.

There's an article in German on Eisenstadt's homepage:

<http://www.eisenstadt.at/home/news/d...ater-des-gruen
en-veltliners-entdeckt/articleBack/241.html?tx_ttnews[pointer]=2&cH
ash=ecbbefc07b>

or

<http://snipurl.com/rir2o>

The press kit says: For inquiries please contact Maximilian
Schulyok, phone +43-676-83705712, kommunikation_eisenstadt_at
(convert underscores to obvious special characters for mail).

HTH a little,

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Pronay > wrote:

> The press kit says: For inquiries please contact Maximilian
> Schulyok, phone +43-676-83705712, kommunikation_eisenstadt_at
> (convert underscores to obvious special characters for mail).

I just realized that I have the press kit in my mailbox. Whoever
wants to have it, contact me, my reply address works.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> "Yves" > wrote:
>
>> Checking wine lists during a recent vacation in Switzerland
>> (Graubünden/Grisons), I noticed that the German name for the
>> Valtellina area in Lombardy is "Veltlin".
>>
>> Is there any evidence for "Grüner Veltliner" coming initially
>> from that region

> No.
>
>> or is it just one of those misleading names like Tokay d'Alsace
>> or Portugieser?

> Yes.
>
>> Is this grape possibly still grown in the Valtellina?

> No. What the Swiss Germans call "Veltliner"
> (= [wine from] Valtellina) is always red.
>
> Btw, the complete parentage of Grüner Veltliner has been
> found out a few weeks ago. The mother grape, Traminer, had been
> pinned down already a few years ago, while the father was
> unknown.
>
> An old more or less wild rootstock in a former pasture land in
> St. Georgen, Burgenland (today part of Burgenland's capital,
> Eisenstadt) has been genetically identified as the fahther of
> Grüner Veltliner. Hans Moser, wine-grower in St. Georgen, was
> told by an old former sheperd that the grapes tasted quite sweet
> and muscaty, which would explain the former synonym of Grüner
> Veltliner, "Grünmuskateller". He convinced Ferdinand Regener
> from Klosterneuburg vitcultural school (the leading ampelographist
> in Austia) to investigate, and now it has been confirmed. The
> unknown grape was given the name of "St. Georgen". Burgenländers
> are quite proud of the fact that Burgenland has been found to be
> the home of one of GV's ancestors.
>
> There's an article in German on Eisenstadt's homepage:
>
> <http://www.eisenstadt.at/home/news/d...ater-des-gruen
> en-veltliners-entdeckt/articleBack/241.html?tx_ttnews[pointer]=2&cH
> ash=ecbbefc07b>
>
> or
>
> <http://snipurl.com/rir2o>
>
> The press kit says: For inquiries please contact Maximilian
> Schulyok, phone +43-676-83705712, kommunikation_eisenstadt_at
> (convert underscores to obvious special characters for mail).
>
> HTH a little,
>
> M.

Thanks, it was very interesting!!

Yves

Posted to alt.food.wine

Next question would be why it is called Veltliner. Maybe not extremely
interesting, but, being certified nerd, I'd like to know ...
Cheers
Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

> Next question would be why it is called Veltliner. Maybe not
> extremely interesting, but, being certified nerd, I'd like to
> know ... Cheers

There's no stringent answer to that question yet. And I don't
think there ever will be one.

M.