Sven Gorval

Default Valtellina wines

I can't believe that Pellizzati Perego made it into THE WINE NEWS new
issue. There is a good article on Valtellina nebbiolo-based wines, and
I thought PP was my own little secret after being fortunate enough to
participate to a fantastic vertical tasting In Italy which started
from a still impressive '47. Also the others are good (Triacca, Nino
Negri, Sertoli Salis), but PP is in a class of its own being a super
traditionalist who is selling his wine only when it is ready (as
Quintarelli for Amarone): he is selling his '91 and '95 now!!! Is
anybody able to find these wines in the US? I was only able to get
them in Italy, except for Nino Negri.

On 11 Oct 2003 10:40:14 -0700, (Sven Gorval) wrote:

>I can't believe that Pellizzati Perego made it into THE WINE NEWS new
>issue. There is a good article on Valtellina nebbiolo-based wines...

Several months ago a friend in Massachusettes raved to me about a 1998
Guipa, Valtellina Superiore from Caven (which is part of Nera).
Seventeen bucks a bottle and it blew his socks off. Do you think I
could find it, or even order it, in Seattle, that mecca of new metro
cool? Fat chance. The closest I could get was a Rainoldi at Sam's in
Chicago, which gets great reviews at
http://www.samswine.com/searches/Win...rch=Valtellina.

Here's what I did find out about the Caven '98 Guipa:

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Ho...1156,7,00.html
Hot Wines for the week of 02/01/2002

ITALY / LOMBARDY
Caven
Valtellina Superiore Inferno Al Carmine 1998
92 points
$20
1,000 cases made; 400 cases imported into the U.S.

After watching me spin my wheels over this, my pal took pity on me. A
mutual friend was planning to visit Seattle, so we set up a wine swap.
I got a bottle of the Guipa, and I sent back a bottle of 1998 Ch.
Marsau Cotes de Francs. The Marsau was opened to rave reviews in Mass.
I've yet to crack the Guipa cuz I'm saving it!

Does anyone know if the Caven is available west of Chicago? Should I
just fuggeddaboudit have my pal ship me a case?

JJ

(remove "unspam" to reply)