Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1995 Chateau Leoville Poyferre

I opened a bottle of 1995 Chateau Leoville Poyferre last night with
braised then grilled onglet. The wine was dark opaque purple with a
pronounced blackberry and cassis nose. On the palate it was dense and
concentrated with smokey oak notes followed by big ripe jammy black
currant and wet gravel. The wine is still quite young and needs at
least another five years but it was quite tasty after sitting in the
decanter for an hour. A-
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> I opened a bottle of 1995 Chateau Leoville Poyferre last night with
> braised then grilled onglet. The wine was dark opaque purple with a
> pronounced blackberry and cassis nose. On the palate it was dense and
> concentrated with smokey oak notes followed by big ripe jammy black
> currant and wet gravel. The wine is still quite young and needs at
> least another five years but it was quite tasty after sitting in the
> decanter for an hour. A-

Sounds good. I have yet to open any '95's but I have two bottles of
Leoville Poyferre and 3 of Leoville Las Cases.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 20, 1:03�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> �"Bi!!" > wrote:
> > I opened a bottle of 1995 Chateau Leoville Poyferre last night with
> > braised then grilled onglet. �The wine was dark opaque purple with a
> > pronounced blackberry and cassis nose. �On the palate it was dense and
> > concentrated with smokey oak notes followed by big ripe jammy black
> > currant and wet gravel. �The wine is still quite young and needs at
> > least another five years but it was quite tasty after sitting in the
> > decanter for an hour. A-

> Sounds good. I have yet to open any '95's but I have two bottles of
> Leoville Poyferre and 3 of Leoville Las Cases.

For what ever reason I tend to prefer the Poyferre. I've been to the
Chateau a few times and it's weird since it appears that they took the
property and cut it in half. One side of the parking lot is for
Poyferre and one side is for Las Cases and they have separate tasting
rooms, chai's etc. The wines have different vineyard areas and
terroirs and to me don't really taste much like each other.

Leoville Poyferre Bill S. Wine 2 13-06-2009 10:32 PM
Grilled rack of lamb and Leoville Poyferre 2000 Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] Wine 4 05-09-2007 08:24 PM
1995 Chateau Talbot Bi!! Wine 0 21-07-2007 06:26 PM
TN: 1999 Leoville Poyferre DaleW Wine 0 08-10-2006 11:10 PM
1982 Chateau Leoville Las Cases RV WRLee Wine 22 28-05-2004 07:18 AM