Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Grilled rack of lamb and Leoville Poyferre 2000

Wife and I had grilled Rack of lamb marinated in orange juice, olive
oil, rosemary and lavender. Cooked in my Big Green Egg for the first
time and really enjoyed it with grilled end of summer vegetables.

Opened the 2000 Leoville Poyferré. Opened for 1 hour. Lush fruit nose,
with cedar box and tobacco. Loads of dark red fruits and earth. Finished
with a taste of smoked meat (maybe influence of dinner) but a long tasty
finish. First bottle of this 2000 I have opened. Tannins are already
smoothed so I think this won't go more than 5-7 more years.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 4, 4:22�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> Wife and I had grilled Rack of lamb marinated in orange juice, olive
> oil, rosemary and lavender. Cooked in my Big Green Egg for the first
> time and really enjoyed it with grilled end of summer vegetables.
>
> Opened the 2000 Leoville Poyferré. Opened for 1 hour. Lush fruit nose,
> with cedar box and tobacco. Loads of dark red fruits and earth. Finished
> with a taste of smoked meat (maybe influence of dinner) but a long tasty
> finish. First bottle of this 2000 I have opened. Tannins are already
> smoothed so I think this won't go more than 5-7 more years.

Surprised at drinking window.
2000 was the first vintage I didn't buy after several years of buying
Poyferre, I thought "$47? No way that price will hold!" Oops!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 4, 7:42 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 4, 4:22?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
>
> > Wife and I had grilled Rack of lamb marinated in orange juice, olive
> > oil, rosemary and lavender. Cooked in my Big Green Egg for the first
> > time and really enjoyed it with grilled end of summer vegetables.

> > Opened the 2000 Leoville Poyferr?. Opened for 1 hour. Lush fruit nose,
> > with cedar box and tobacco. Loads of dark red fruits and earth. Finished
> > with a taste of smoked meat (maybe influence of dinner) but a long tasty
> > finish. First bottle of this 2000 I have opened. Tannins are already
> > smoothed so I think this won't go more than 5-7 more years.

> Surprised at drinking window.
> 2000 was the first vintage I didn't buy after several years of buying
> Poyferre, I thought "$47? No way that price will hold!" Oops!

$47 is cheap compared to now. Good to read that some 2000 Medoc wines
are drinking well. The right bank wines have been tasty for a while
already.

Mark

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article . com>,
Tire Bouchon > wrote:

> On Sep 4, 7:42 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> > On Sep 4, 4:22?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> >
> > > Wife and I had grilled Rack of lamb marinated in orange juice, olive
> > > oil, rosemary and lavender. Cooked in my Big Green Egg for the first
> > > time and really enjoyed it with grilled end of summer vegetables.

> > > Opened the 2000 Leoville Poyferr?. Opened for 1 hour. Lush fruit nose,
> > > with cedar box and tobacco. Loads of dark red fruits and earth. Finished
> > > with a taste of smoked meat (maybe influence of dinner) but a long tasty
> > > finish. First bottle of this 2000 I have opened. Tannins are already
> > > smoothed so I think this won't go more than 5-7 more years.

> > Surprised at drinking window.
> > 2000 was the first vintage I didn't buy after several years of buying
> > Poyferre, I thought "$47? No way that price will hold!" Oops!

> $47 is cheap compared to now. Good to read that some 2000 Medoc wines
> are drinking well. The right bank wines have been tasty for a while
> already.
>
> Mark

The price marked on the bottle was $49 but at the current prices this is
a bargain. Because I have liked this wine in the past I bought half a
case so 1 per year.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 4, 4:22 pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> Wife and I had grilled Rack of lamb marinated in orange juice, olive
> oil, rosemary and lavender. Cooked in my Big Green Egg for the first
> time and really enjoyed it with grilled end of summer vegetables.
>
> Opened the 2000 Leoville Poyferré. Opened for 1 hour.

Ruined thereby. Hell, it's SIX YEARS OLD!!!

> Lush fruit nose,
> with cedar box and tobacco. Loads of dark red fruits and earth. Finished
> with a taste of smoked meat (maybe influence of dinner) but a long tasty
> finish. First bottle of this 2000 I have opened. Tannins are already
> smoothed so I think this won't go more than 5-7 more years.

1995 Chateau Leoville Poyferre Bi!! Wine 2 20-08-2009 06:26 PM
Leoville Poyferre Bill S. Wine 2 13-06-2009 10:32 PM
TN Reserve de Leoville Barton 2000 John T Wine 0 21-10-2007 06:48 PM
TN: 1999 Leoville Poyferre DaleW Wine 0 08-10-2006 11:10 PM
Grilled Rack of Lamb with Frisée, Fingerling Potatoes, Figs, Duckie ® Recipes 0 12-04-2006 12:14 PM