Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Ridge Wine Status?

Hmmm, after perusing what I can here, I sense a bit of hinting about
potential loss of quality at Ridge. What's the general opinion here? I
haven't been able to get my hands on Ridge's wines for a few years, and was
thinking of joining their Z List (and possibly the ATP List) based on my old
experiences. I still have verticals of Geyserville and Lytton Springs but
it's been a few years since Ive been able to buy anything new there. I see
Robert Parker hasn't written anything about Ridge in a long time, which
seems very strange given he usually gushes over Drapers creations, as do I.

What are people here seeing the past few years?

Thanks,

Darl Helmet

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 14, 1:46�am, "Dark Helmet" > wrote:
> Hmmm, after perusing what I can here, I sense a bit of hinting about
> potential loss of quality at Ridge. �What's the general opinion here? �I
> haven't been able to get my hands on Ridge's wines for a few years, and was
> thinking of joining their Z List (and possibly the ATP List) based on my old
> experiences. �I still have verticals of Geyserville and Lytton Springs but
> it's been a few years since Ive been able to buy anything new there. �I see
> Robert Parker hasn't written anything about Ridge in a long time, which
> seems very strange given he usually gushes over Drapers creations, as do I.
>
> What are people here seeing the past few years?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Darl Helmet

Perhaps more of a change in style than in quality.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
"Dark Helmet" > wrote:

> Hmmm, after perusing what I can here, I sense a bit of hinting about
> potential loss of quality at Ridge. What's the general opinion here? I
> haven't been able to get my hands on Ridge's wines for a few years, and was
> thinking of joining their Z List (and possibly the ATP List) based on my old
> experiences. I still have verticals of Geyserville and Lytton Springs but
> it's been a few years since Ive been able to buy anything new there. I see
> Robert Parker hasn't written anything about Ridge in a long time, which
> seems very strange given he usually gushes over Drapers creations, as do I.
>
> What are people here seeing the past few years?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Darl Helmet

Some of the better vineyards are still very good. They, like all
wineries, produce some poor wines for a cheaper price.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Hmmm, in what way perchance?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 15, 12:56�am, "Dark Helmet" > wrote:
> [...]

I think that they are more approachable at a younger age than they
used to be. The Monte Bello used to be a wine that required at least
ten years before drinking. It was quite tough and hard on release and
not really pleasant. While the newer releases are still fairly tight
on release compared to many other California Cabs, they are still a
lot more supple and ripe than the wines of the 90's and older. The
Lytton Springs also seems to have lost a bit of stuffing compared to
earlier vintages being almost soft on release compared to what it used
to be like.