Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Forster Kirchenstuck Riesling Auslese 1976, Dr. Burklin-Wolf

The wine is Forster Kirchenstuck Riesling Auslese 1976, Dr. Burklin-
Wolf, A.P. Nr. 5 142 043 44 77, DLG 1979 Pramiert Grosser Preis. A
friendly importer ordered a case of this for me directly from Germany
shortly after release. It was shipped in cool weather and was in my
hands within a few days of arrival in the US. The wine has been
properly stored ever since. This is my second bottle to drink of 12.
It seems capable of lasting many more years, but I may have to wax the
bottle necks before long. The corks are still holding well, but they
are becoming soft and some could fail in the next few years.

In1976 some of the wines made in the warmer areas of Germany were a
bit heavy and could use a bit more acid for many tastes. That is not
the case for this wine. It is one of the best balanced and complex
Rieslings that I have ever tasted from this region. It is not as
tropical as some of 1976s. There is a bit of old Riesling very clean
petrol on the nose. However this along with very ripe yellow peach
taste gives the illusion of some very ripe mangos as only one
component. You can taste very ripe apricots, and various other fruits
in a very complex mixture. There is a bit of mixed spice, although it
is difficult to name any individual spice. There is plenty of acidity
to balance the great sweetness and intense bouquet and body. The
finish is very long. The balance is nearly perfect for my taste. There
are subtle floral notes, something like honeysuckle or jasmine. There
is a bit of honey taste, especially in the after taste.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 1, 2:34*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> The wine is Forster Kirchenstuck Riesling Auslese 1976, Dr. Burklin-
> Wolf, A.P. Nr. 5 142 043 *44 77, DLG 1979 Pramiert Grosser Preis. A
> friendly importer ordered a case of this for me directly from Germany
> shortly after release. It was shipped in cool weather and was in my
> hands within a few days of arrival in the US. The wine has been
> properly stored ever since. This is my second bottle to drink of 12.
> It seems capable of lasting many more years, but I may have to wax the
> bottle necks before long. The corks are still holding well, but they
> are becoming soft and some could fail in the next few years.
>
> In1976 some of the wines made in the warmer areas of Germany were a
> bit heavy and could use a bit more acid for many tastes. That is not
> the case for this wine. *It is one of the best balanced and complex
> Rieslings that I have ever tasted from this region. It is not as
> tropical as some of 1976s. There is a bit of old Riesling very clean
> petrol on the nose. However this along with very ripe yellow peach
> taste gives the illusion of some very ripe mangos as only one
> component. You can taste very ripe apricots, and various other fruits
> in a very complex mixture. There is a bit of mixed spice, although it
> is difficult to name any individual spice. There is plenty of acidity
> to balance the great sweetness and intense bouquet and body. The
> finish is very long. The balance is nearly perfect for my taste. There
> are subtle floral notes, something like honeysuckle or jasmine. There
> is a bit of honey taste, especially in the after taste.

I generally think of Pfalz as somewhere between Rheingau and Mosel in
heat, so maybe why a bit more acidity than Rheingau. We were
discussing Tue night that lots of '76 Rhines seem fully mature, as
opposed to 71s that seem fresher due to acidity. Thanks for notes.
Dale
PS I think Burklin-Wolf is just using this vineyard for trocken these
days, I hear good things about them, but they are generally at prices
I can't afford to experiment