Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Schlossbockelheimer Kupfergrube Riesling Auslese 1976

The wine opened was Schlossbockelheimer Kupfergrube Riesling Auslese
1976, Verwaltung der Staatlichen Weinbaudomanen, A.P. Nr. 1 750
053/49/77. The bottle had been properly stored since release, the fill
was high, and the cork was sound. I reported on this wine a few years
back, but it has now become much better. In fact it now is one of the
best 1976 auslesen that I have tasted recently. The color is golden.
The bouquet is very intense and complex as is the taste. It is nearly
an essence of apricot. Garnier's Apry liqueur is the closest taste
comparison I can suggest. There is also some very clean petrol old
Riesling character, a mineral character, rich sweetness, including
honey, balanced by enough acid, and with complex mixed spice
seasoning. The finish is extremely long. I suspect that most people
opened this wine much too soon when it was quite good, but just a hint
of what it has now become. The Nahe wines from the state property have
had their ups and downs over the years, but his wine now can compete
with any 1976 auslese from Germany that I have tasted.