Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Good Chablis and Zinfandel

Saturday was seafood, Betsy grabbed some sea scallops from farmers
market while I got 3 lobsters from Stew Leonards ($5.99/lb). She
steamed the lobsters, I grilled some veggies (tomatoes, peppers,
mushrooms, squash) and then sauteed the scallops and finished with
lemon and chive. Wine was the 2004 JM Brocard "Montmains" Chablis 1er,
a round and giving Chablis yet with a good acidic spine and minerally
finish. Apple and citrus fruit, chalky minerality, good length,
drinking very well now. Holds well overnight. A-

Last night night I slow-cooked some St Louis cut ribs with a dry rub,
then glazed with a tomato/vinegar sauce at very end; this was served
with grilled potato salad,* broccoli/garlic salad., and the 2002 Ridge
Lytton Springs. Rich zin-berries, crushed raspberry and blackberry
flavors, big but not ungainly, sweet fruit with structure. There a
little exotic note of sandalwood and vanilla on top, nice wine. B++

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 15, 9:31�am, DaleW > wrote:
> Saturday was seafood, Betsy grabbed some sea scallops from farmers
> market while I got 3 lobsters from Stew Leonards ($5.99/lb). She
> steamed the lobsters, I grilled some veggies (tomatoes, peppers,
> mushrooms, squash) and then sauteed the scallops and finished with
> lemon and chive. Wine was the 2004 JM Brocard "Montmains" Chablis 1er,
> a round and giving Chablis yet with a good acidic spine and minerally
> finish. Apple and citrus fruit, chalky minerality, good length,
> drinking very well now. Holds well overnight. �A-
>
> Last night night I slow-cooked some St Louis cut ribs with a dry rub,
> then glazed with a tomato/vinegar sauce at very end; this was served
> with grilled potato salad,� broccoli/garlic salad., and the 2002 Ridge
> Lytton Springs. Rich zin-berries, crushed raspberry and blackberry
> flavors, big but not ungainly, sweet fruit with structure. There a
> little exotic note of sandalwood and vanilla on top, nice wine. B++
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.�

Sometimes your wine matches and mine are uncanny. We were invited to
our farm neighbors house for dinner last night and he asked me to
bring wine. They were having a simple grilled shrimp salad to start
and country style (almost a pork chop)grilled spare ribs. I brought a
2005 Brocard Montmains and a 2007 Orin Swift "Saldo" zin. Both were
damn fine.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Saturday was seafood, Betsy grabbed some sea scallops from farmers
> market while I got 3 lobsters from Stew Leonards ($5.99/lb). She
> steamed the lobsters, I grilled some veggies (tomatoes, peppers,
> mushrooms, squash) and then sauteed the scallops and finished with
> lemon and chive. Wine was the 2004 JM Brocard "Montmains" Chablis 1er,
> a round and giving Chablis yet with a good acidic spine and minerally
> finish. Apple and citrus fruit, chalky minerality, good length,
> drinking very well now. Holds well overnight. A-
>
> Last night night I slow-cooked some St Louis cut ribs with a dry rub,
> then glazed with a tomato/vinegar sauce at very end; this was served
> with grilled potato salad, broccoli/garlic salad., and the 2002 Ridge
> Lytton Springs. Rich zin-berries, crushed raspberry and blackberry
> flavors, big but not ungainly, sweet fruit with structure. There a
> little exotic note of sandalwood and vanilla on top, nice wine. B++

Very nice sounding meals and wines, Dale. I'm heartened to hear of your
impressions of the '02 LS as I've been buying my Ridge wines the last
few years on faith rather than firsthand experience and hoping that they
haven't shifted style too much despite the grumblings occasionally heard
on the Internet. I've still waiting to open my '00s, so your note is
good news for me. (And I'll avoid taking any swipes at that habit of
yours of "spoiling" your BBQ with sauce ;-))

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 15, 4:31*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Saturday was seafood, Betsy grabbed some sea scallops from farmers
> > market while I got 3 lobsters from Stew Leonards ($5.99/lb). She
> > steamed the lobsters, I grilled some veggies (tomatoes, peppers,
> > mushrooms, squash) and then sauteed the scallops and finished with
> > lemon and chive. Wine was the 2004 JM Brocard "Montmains" Chablis 1er,
> > a round and giving Chablis yet with a good acidic spine and minerally
> > finish. Apple and citrus fruit, chalky minerality, good length,
> > drinking very well now. Holds well overnight. *A-

> > Last night night I slow-cooked some St Louis cut ribs with a dry rub,
> > then glazed with a tomato/vinegar sauce at very end; this was served
> > with grilled potato salad, *broccoli/garlic salad., and the 2002 Ridge
> > Lytton Springs. Rich zin-berries, crushed raspberry and blackberry
> > flavors, big but not ungainly, sweet fruit with structure. There a
> > little exotic note of sandalwood and vanilla on top, nice wine. B++

> Very nice sounding meals and wines, Dale. *I'm heartened to hear of your
> impressions of the '02 LS as I've been buying my Ridge wines the last
> few years on faith rather than firsthand experience and hoping that they
> haven't shifted style too much despite the grumblings occasionally heard
> on the Internet. *I've still waiting to open my '00s, so your note is
> good news for me. *(And I'll avoid taking any swipes at that habit of
> yours of "spoiling" your BBQ with sauce ;-))
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Bill,
nice! I've never had an Orin Swift straight Zin, just the Prisoner
which has Zin in the blend.

Mark,
of course true BBQ is shoulder, not ribs.
Actually, I probably do ribs about half the time just with dry rub,
especially if just me. But Betsy and Dave like theirs wet. So I cook
dry, and then sauce for last 10-15 minutes. The sauce was tomato,
vinegar, chili powder, garlic, and a little Colmans.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 16, 10:33�am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Jun 15, 4:31�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>

> > DaleW wrote:
> > > Saturday was seafood, Betsy grabbed some sea scallops from farmers
> > > market while I got 3 lobsters from Stew Leonards ($5.99/lb). She
> > > steamed the lobsters, I grilled some veggies (tomatoes, peppers,
> > > mushrooms, squash) and then sauteed the scallops and finished with
> > > lemon and chive. Wine was the 2004 JM Brocard "Montmains" Chablis 1er,
> > > a round and giving Chablis yet with a good acidic spine and minerally
> > > finish. Apple and citrus fruit, chalky minerality, good length,
> > > drinking very well now. Holds well overnight. �A-

> > > Last night night I slow-cooked some St Louis cut ribs with a dry rub,
> > > then glazed with a tomato/vinegar sauce at very end; this was served
> > > with grilled potato salad, �broccoli/garlic salad., and the 2002 Ridge
> > > Lytton Springs. Rich zin-berries, crushed raspberry and blackberry
> > > flavors, big but not ungainly, sweet fruit with structure. There a
> > > little exotic note of sandalwood and vanilla on top, nice wine. B++

> > Very nice sounding meals and wines, Dale. �I'm heartened to hear of your
> > impressions of the '02 LS as I've been buying my Ridge wines the last
> > few years on faith rather than firsthand experience and hoping that they
> > haven't shifted style too much despite the grumblings occasionally heard
> > on the Internet. �I've still waiting to open my '00s, so your note is
> > good news for me. �(And I'll avoid taking any swipes at that habit of
> > yours of "spoiling" your BBQ with sauce ;-))

> > Mark Lipton
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> Bill,
> nice! I've never had an Orin Swift straight Zin, just the Prisoner
> which has Zin in the blend.
>
> Mark,
> of course true BBQ is shoulder, not ribs.
> Actually, I probably do ribs about half the time just with dry rub,
> especially if just me. But Betsy and Dave like theirs wet. So I cook
> dry, and then sauce for last 10-15 minutes. The sauce was tomato,
> vinegar, chili powder, garlic, and a little Colmans.- Hide quoted text -

The straight Zin is a new product released this year from the 2007
vintage. It's a blend of zin from a number of appelations and
vineyards. Nice stuff for about $30.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> On Jun 15, 4:31*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > DaleW wrote:
> > > Saturday was seafood, Betsy grabbed some sea scallops from farmers
> > > market while I got 3 lobsters from Stew Leonards ($5.99/lb). She
> > > steamed the lobsters, I grilled some veggies (tomatoes, peppers,
> > > mushrooms, squash) and then sauteed the scallops and finished with
> > > lemon and chive. Wine was the 2004 JM Brocard "Montmains" Chablis 1er,
> > > a round and giving Chablis yet with a good acidic spine and minerally
> > > finish. Apple and citrus fruit, chalky minerality, good length,
> > > drinking very well now. Holds well overnight. *A-

> > > Last night night I slow-cooked some St Louis cut ribs with a dry rub,
> > > then glazed with a tomato/vinegar sauce at very end; this was served
> > > with grilled potato salad, *broccoli/garlic salad., and the 2002 Ridge
> > > Lytton Springs. Rich zin-berries, crushed raspberry and blackberry
> > > flavors, big but not ungainly, sweet fruit with structure. There a
> > > little exotic note of sandalwood and vanilla on top, nice wine. B++

> > Very nice sounding meals and wines, Dale. *I'm heartened to hear of your
> > impressions of the '02 LS as I've been buying my Ridge wines the last
> > few years on faith rather than firsthand experience and hoping that they
> > haven't shifted style too much despite the grumblings occasionally heard
> > on the Internet. *I've still waiting to open my '00s, so your note is
> > good news for me. *(And I'll avoid taking any swipes at that habit of
> > yours of "spoiling" your BBQ with sauce ;-))
> >
> > Mark Lipton
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> Bill,
> nice! I've never had an Orin Swift straight Zin, just the Prisoner
> which has Zin in the blend.
>
> Mark,
> of course true BBQ is shoulder, not ribs.
> Actually, I probably do ribs about half the time just with dry rub,
> especially if just me. But Betsy and Dave like theirs wet. So I cook
> dry, and then sauce for last 10-15 minutes. The sauce was tomato,
> vinegar, chili powder, garlic, and a little Colmans.

I have 3 bottles of the 2006 Prisoner at this time so awaiting opening
them.

TN: Good wines- 2 Cali, 1 Chablis, 1 Wachau DaleW Wine 0 10-07-2013 05:21 PM
TN: cheap but good Brunello and Chablis GC DaleW Wine 2 01-07-2010 02:16 PM
Zinfandel Jim Winemaking 3 21-10-2009 03:18 AM
TN: good qpr Chablis, mature Lalande-de-Pom., Torrontes Dale Williams Wine 0 17-09-2004 04:02 PM
which zinfandel Dmitri Priimak Wine 5 09-07-2004 07:12 AM