Dale Williams

Default TN: good qpr Chablis, mature Lalande-de-Pom., Torrontes

With a nice pasta with fresh crab dish, the bargain 2002 Christian Moreau
Chablis. Clean and unoaked, ripe yet bright fruit with zippy acidity, flinty
finish. What more can you ask for in a $12 Chablis? B+

Used over several nights for cooking, the 2003 Santa Julia Torrontes
(Argentina). My first Torrontes, tastes a bit like cheap Chenin Blanc meets
Gewurztraminer. Floral, canned peach fruit, with redeeming good acidity. A
little TOO unusual for a cooking wine, and a little short when drinking by
itself. Can't say I really enjoyed it a lot, a B- for pleasure, but at $5-6 I
might be willing to try again now that I have a better idea what it's like.

Last night I was soloing , and found myself with some lamb stew (somewhat
tagine-ish) a friend had dropped by. Since I have determined to start drinking
up my '98 Lalande de Pomerols, the 1998 Clos de L'Eglise found itself in the
drinking queue last night. Soft merlot fruit, resolved tannins, lots of toasty
oak and some interesting spice notes. I'd like it if the oak flavors had more
secondary aromas, but I really think the time is now for this one. B/B+, drink
up.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply