Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

Default Zinfandel

I am going to make some Zin from frozen grapes and was wondering what
should I adjust the specific gravity to I have gone on the internet
and see that some Zins can go above 15%. Thank you in advance.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 13, 8:45*pm, Jim > wrote:
> I am going to make some Zin from frozen grapes and was wondering what
> should I adjust the specific gravity to I have gone on the internet
> and see that some Zins can go above 15%. Thank you in advance. *

There's no telling where the SG will be with frozen grapes. There can
be quite a bit of variation depending on where the grapes were grown
and how ripe they were at harvest.

Many commercially produced California wines have 16 percent or higher
alcohol. For most wines, this is a bit much. The alcohol can be a bit
too "expressive" when the percentage is that high. To have 16 percent,
they would have had to start at around 1.120. I strongly suggest
starting out at or near a more reasonable 1.090.

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 17, 12:06*am, wrote:
> On Feb 13, 8:45*pm, Jim > wrote:
>
> > I am going to make some Zin from frozen grapes and was wondering what
> > should I adjust the specific gravity to I have gone on the internet
> > and see that some Zins can go above 15%. Thank you in advance. *

> There's no telling where the SG will be with frozen grapes. There can
> be quite a bit of variation depending on where the grapes were grown
> and how ripe they were at harvest.
>
> Many commercially produced California wines have 16 percent or higher
> alcohol. For most wines, this is a bit much. The alcohol can be a bit
> too "expressive" when the percentage is that high. To have 16 percent,
> they would have had to start at around 1.120. I strongly suggest
> starting out at or near a more reasonable 1.090.
>
> Greg G.

You will have to bring the gravity up to 1.115 to get around 15%. You
can adjust the gravity by adding sugar. Here is a link to WINECALC.
Here you can use either the gravity or brix to find how much sugar you
need.
http://www.geocities.com/mipeman/winecalc.html
I hope this helps it did help me.

Tom
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I am going to make some Zin from frozen grapes and was wondering what
should I adjust the specific gravity to I have gone on the internet
and see that some Zins can go above 15%. Thank you in advance.
Did you succeeded in your plan? What was the result?
Randy Cohiba

Blending Zinfandel Michael Winemaking 1 05-11-2009 03:28 PM
Naming a Zinfandel Bill Wine 27 17-07-2004 03:27 AM
which zinfandel Dmitri Priimak Wine 5 09-07-2004 07:12 AM
Zinfandel R R Wine 2 05-10-2003 03:38 PM
Zinfandel R R Winemaking 0 04-10-2003 12:26 AM