Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wine Dinner for a Friend

An interesting brown bag tasting recently at a friend’s place. One of
my regular groups, but our approach was different, as the theme was
unusual – instead of a specific sort of wine (or, often, a wide open
theme) the host had chosen to have people bring a wine that had some
special connection for them with a member that had recently died – a
sort of wine centric memorial to our friend.

2004 Guigal Condrieu – some nice floral fruit aromas, the wine quite
elegant and reminding us more of a white Bordeaux than a Rhone. Drink
now.

1995 Lopez Heredia Vina Tondonia Reserva – pale colour without much
bricking, nose a tad simple with mature woody character, decent fruit
and fair balance and length. This wine seemed much older than it was.
Connection – our friend’s extended stay in Spain.

2003 Albert Bichot Pommard Clos des Ursulines – dark wine with a
cherry nose and lots of tannin and fruit, much beefier than most
Burgs, no doubt a result of the vintage. Smooth finish.

2002 Cedar Creek Pinot Noir Platinum – this was a BC pinot reserve
bottling that showed no detectable resemblance to a pinto noir! Dark
and clear, with a sweet slightly spicy nose, mellow with the tannins
quite soft. Pleasant but not varietally true. Our friend had worked at
a BC wine store and enjoyed this sort of wine.

1998 Dom. Santa Duc Gigondas haut Garrigues – as our friend had been
first and foremost a Rhone fan, it was surprising that it had taken
this long for one to pop up. The nose was a bit hot (the wine was
well over 15%), but also a bit reticent to show much and swirling was
necessary before we could detect some berries and spice. Slightly
drying at the end with soft tannins. This is a good wine. I opted to
cellar the 1995 in preference to this vintage, but the 98 is also very
good.

1998 Max Aubert Cairanne – it was now bizarre bottle time. The bottle
had a painted label rather than paper and it was marked as Carpe
Voluptatem. Cool furit nose with hint of metal, dark, sweet on palate
and medium long. Interesting, and I’d like to know more about it as a
google shows nothing to help. The wine was OK, but the bottle was
puzzling. I gather the brand is Dom. de la Presidente but if so it
was hidden among the art work on the unusual label.

1989 Ch. Poujeaux – this modest Moulis was on the down side. dark,
with a salty sea air nose, a tad funky, still tannic but the fruit had
abandoned it and it was one dimensional and ended with acidity alone.
Connection – time spent in the area by our friend

2005 Ch. Pineraie ‘L’Authentique’ – this was a bottle of young Cahors
I had bought from the winery with my friend last spring. I’d never
have bought it out so young except for the theme. Dark purple with
lots of up front deep fruit in the nose, hairy tannins, but soft
indicate decent early drinking. Good length. The winery, now run by
the 6th generation to make wine there, has a number of modestly priced
wines that are killer value. We drank most of a case of their regular
wine at about 7 Euros, but the L’Authentique is their top wine (E21)
made from 100% old vines Malbec and is worth the difference!

2000 Ch. Pipeau (St. Emilion) – very nice young colour, medium body,
fruit forward, pleasant with some tannin. Not for long hold.

2005 Dom. de Constancie Rosette – I can add my personal note to this
wine as I was there when it was bought. Rosette is a very small AOC
near Bergerac and we decided to visit in a spirit of exploration as it
is almost unknown outside of France. They make white wine (despite
the name, no pink wine is made there) from Semillon, Sauvignon and
Muscadelle. I ferreted out this winery as one of the ones to visit so
we drove off into the rural area just north of the city of Bergerac in
search of wine experience. The proprietors were typical farmers
(although Dad had a nice new voiture out front – a flashy Audi, or
Peugeot, I can’t recall which) and spoke only French, in which both my
friend and I can get along. The wines are soft and have some RS, and
while interesting, were no more than that. The degustation was held
not in a tasting room, but in the family kitchen (Grandma had been
expelled in favour of possibly rich foreigners) and we tasted through
their range, which I believe also included the usual red Cotes de
Bergerac. We got up to leave and the mistress of the house asked hw
much wine we wanted to buy. I told my friend that I didn’t like any
enough to buy it and he allowed as how we could get a couple of
bottles to drink while we were in France. There ensued a bit of fuss
when he was informed that they sold only by the case lot, but the
usual “We are only allowed 2 bottles by customs” prevailed. We had
one bottle with some foie gras and it showed very well, and the other
came home to Canada.

Light in colour, this wine a year later showed a nose that definitely
featured grapefruit. everything else, colour, mouth feel, finish,
could be summed up by the word ‘thin’. We had obviously been lucky to
escape with only a couple of bottles.

Our host, feeling that he could only puch the theme so far, decided to
open a different bottle to finish the evening:

1988 Ch. Rieussec – medium amber colour, with botrytis and fig and
nectarine nose, sweet and long in the mouth.. Great balance and
length. Great way to finish as well.

(To Ian Hoare, wherever you are - this dinner was in memory of Bruce,
who you met when we visited last year.)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 24, 2:21*pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> [...]
> when he was informed that they sold only by the case lot, but the
> usual “We are only allowed 2 bottles by customs” prevailed. *We had
> one bottle with some foie gras and it showed very well, and the other
> came home to Canada.
>
> Light in colour, this wine a year later showed a nose that definitely
> featured grapefruit. * everything else, colour, mouth feel, finish,
> could be summed up by the word ‘thin’. We had obviously been lucky to
> escape with only a couple of bottles.
>
> Our host, feeling that he could only puch the theme so far, decided to
> open a different bottle to finish the evening:
>
> 1988 Ch. Rieussec – medium amber colour, with botrytis and fig and
> nectarine nose, sweet and long in the mouth.. Great balance and
> length. Great way to finish as well.
>
> (To Ian Hoare, wherever you are - this dinner was in memory of Bruce,

Thanks for the notes Bill. I always enjoy your wide ranging tastes.
FYI, I just opened a bottle of 1989 Pojeaux that was drinking well.
Still quite fruit driven and tannic and just a tad brickish. I had
bought the bottle in France in the early 90's in a mixed lot and it's
been in my cellar ever since.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bill S." > wrote in message

2002 Cedar Creek Pinot Noir Platinum – this was a BC pinot reserve
bottling that showed no detectable resemblance to a pinto noir! Dark
and clear, with a sweet slightly spicy nose, mellow with the tannins
quite soft. Pleasant but not varietally true. Our friend had worked at
a BC wine store and enjoyed this sort of wine.

I was sold this once as "the best PN in Canada" and, like you, was very
underwhelmed! As you say, pleasant, but with no PN character and at ~$40,
I'd rather buy cheaper Burgs.
Graham