Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Comparing apples and oranges?

What is Sassicaia doing in this tasting?

Has mrs. Jancis Robinson always drunk Sassicaia thinking at a syrah?

http://www.salomonwines.com/PDF/Janc..._07_Alttus.pdf

A.M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Excellent question!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 22, 3:08*am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> Anna Maria wrote:
> > What is Sassicaia doing in this tasting?

> > Has mrs. Jancis Robinson always drunk Sassicaia thinking at a syrah?

> >http://www.salomonwines.com/PDF/Janc..._07_Alttus.pdf

> She's the Master of Wine, she can turn a cab into a shiraz. Miraculous.
>
> Unless she knows something we don't............. ? Or maybe this was the
> trick question in the test for Master of Wine?
>
> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Scarcely fair to criticize JR for this article. She didn't write it,
we don't know who chose wines, and the only thing that says it was a
Syrah tasting is the title (apparently written by this winery). Text
just says "important 2001s."
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 22, 8:21*am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> >> She's the Master of Wine, she can turn a cab into a shiraz. Miraculous..

> >> Unless she knows something we don't............. ? Or maybe this was the
> >> trick question in the test for Master of Wine?

> >> --
> >> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> >> email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail

> > Scarcely fair to criticize JR for this article. She didn't write it,
> > we don't know who chose wines, and the only thing that says it was a
> > Syrah tasting is the title (apparently written by this winery). Text
> > just says "important 2001s."

> I don't have access to the page because I did not pay, but it appears
> that this is indeed her article and the title was not written by the
> winery:http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/20070824.html
>
> The search on her site finds the following excerpt with link to full text:
>
> Very Important 2001 Syrahs/Shirazes
> 29 Aug 2007 by Jancis Robinson
>
> Had a most frustrating look at some Very Important 2001s the other
> night: Penfolds Grange, Hermitage la Chapelle, Chapoutier Le Pavillon
> Ermitage, Delas’s Marquise de Tourette and their...
>
> cheers
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail

OK, you're right. I But there doesn't seem to be anything that
indicates she thought it was a Shiraz. If someone sticks a blind
ringer or other outlier in a tasting, no one I know changes the name
of the tasting. Especially if the bottle is corked!
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:

> LOL, ok, but she described the event as a tasting of very important
> Syrahs, and she did not point out that the Sass was a blind ringer or a
> Cab. Obvious? To some... :-)

Hey, it's not like Syrah hasn't turned up in *other* Italian wines
recently. Perhaps she had some inside knowledge about that Sassicaia? >:}

Mark Lipton