Kswck

Default Comparing Horsepower to Watts

I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list power in
Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

Bert Hyman

In . net "Kswck"
> wrote:

> I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list power in
> Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

One horsepower is 746 Watts.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Bert Hyman

In . net "Kswck"
> wrote:

> I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list power in
> Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

One horsepower is 746 Watts.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
zxcvbob

Kswck wrote:

> I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list power in
> Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

Induction motors are usually rated in HP, and universal motors are
usually rated in watts. Induction motors are quieter and can be run for
longer duty cycles.

Either will work, and some manufacturers might break with this tradition
just to confuse you. If you buy something rated in HP, check the
amperage requirements -- a lot of tool makers lie about the HP. Air
compressors are notorious for this and there was even a class action
settlement about it recently (plaintiff lawyers pocketed the whole
settlement, consumers didn't get anything).

The motor must draw more than 6.25 amps per horsepower, assuming 120V
operation. Nine amps per horsepower is a better rule of thumb. Look at
the amps on the metal plate on the motor to see if the horsepower rating
is reasonable.

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob

Kswck wrote:

> I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list power in
> Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

Induction motors are usually rated in HP, and universal motors are
usually rated in watts. Induction motors are quieter and can be run for
longer duty cycles.

Either will work, and some manufacturers might break with this tradition
just to confuse you. If you buy something rated in HP, check the
amperage requirements -- a lot of tool makers lie about the HP. Air
compressors are notorious for this and there was even a class action
settlement about it recently (plaintiff lawyers pocketed the whole
settlement, consumers didn't get anything).

The motor must draw more than 6.25 amps per horsepower, assuming 120V
operation. Nine amps per horsepower is a better rule of thumb. Look at
the amps on the metal plate on the motor to see if the horsepower rating
is reasonable.

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob

Kswck wrote:

> I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list power in
> Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

Induction motors are usually rated in HP, and universal motors are
usually rated in watts. Induction motors are quieter and can be run for
longer duty cycles.

Either will work, and some manufacturers might break with this tradition
just to confuse you. If you buy something rated in HP, check the
amperage requirements -- a lot of tool makers lie about the HP. Air
compressors are notorious for this and there was even a class action
settlement about it recently (plaintiff lawyers pocketed the whole
settlement, consumers didn't get anything).

The motor must draw more than 6.25 amps per horsepower, assuming 120V
operation. Nine amps per horsepower is a better rule of thumb. Look at
the amps on the metal plate on the motor to see if the horsepower rating
is reasonable.

Best regards,
Bob

Wayne

"Kswck" > wrote in
. net:

> I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list
> power in Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I
> compare them?

Watts to Horsepower = Watts x 0.00134
Horsepower to Watts = Horsepower x 746

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Kswck" > wrote in
. net:

> I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list
> power in Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I
> compare them?

Watts to Horsepower = Watts x 0.00134
Horsepower to Watts = Horsepower x 746

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Kswck" > wrote in
. net:

> I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list
> power in Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I
> compare them?

Watts to Horsepower = Watts x 0.00134
Horsepower to Watts = Horsepower x 746

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Kswck

"Kswck" > wrote in message
. net...
>I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list power in
>Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

Thank you all.

Louis Cohen

Is that an English or Metric Horse?

http://www.sizes.com/units/horsepower_metric.htm

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
> In . net "Kswck"
> > wrote:
>
> > I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list power

in
> > Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

> One horsepower is 746 Watts.
>
> --
> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Louis Cohen

"Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
> In . net "Kswck"
> > wrote:
>
> > I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list power

in
> > Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

> One horsepower is 746 Watts.
>
> --
> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Kswck

English

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> Is that an English or Metric Horse?
>
> http://www.sizes.com/units/horsepower_metric.htm

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"
>

> "Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
>> In . net "Kswck"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list
>> > power

> in
>> > Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

>> One horsepower is 746 Watts.
>>
>> --
>> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Kswck

English

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> Is that an English or Metric Horse?
>
> http://www.sizes.com/units/horsepower_metric.htm

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"
>

> "Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
>> In . net "Kswck"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list
>> > power

> in
>> > Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

>> One horsepower is 746 Watts.
>>
>> --
>> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Dan Abel

In article >, Bert Hyman
> wrote:

> In . net "Kswck"
> > wrote:
>
> > I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list power in
> > Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

> One horsepower is 746 Watts.

Bob and Sheldon both put it very well. They aren't comparable. If the
watt ratings were for output power, then your conversion factor would
apply. However, they don't. Watt ratings for small appliances do not
reference output power, but just power consumption. A cheap, inefficient
motor will burn up more watts than a more expensive, efficient motor, for
the same power output.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Charles Demas

In article > ,
Kswck > wrote:

>"Kswck" > wrote in message
.net...
>>I am looking at a saugsage maker/tomatoe strainer. Som models list power in
>>Watts (say 320), some in Horsepower (say 1/3). How do I compare them?

>Thank you all.

1492 Watts = 2 Horsepower

Easyto remember number!

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,

Craig Watts bbq Barbecue 0 11-12-2014 09:30 PM
Comparing Italy Giusi General Cooking 156 21-04-2011 07:31 PM
Comparing apples and oranges? Anna Maria Wine 8 22-04-2009 03:45 PM
Comparing Horsepower to Watts Kswck General Cooking 40 24-10-2004 03:50 AM