Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pinot Noir, Süss, Trockenbeerenauslese, Lang, Neusiedlersee, 1998/1999

Yes, "1998/1999" was written on the label of one bottle. Anyone know
for sure what the two years signify?

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 13, 4:35*pm, Steve Slatcher > wrote:
> Yes, "1998/1999" was written on the label of one bottle. *Anyone know
> for sure what the two years signify?
>
> --
> Steve Slatcherhttp://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Harvested after Jan1st?
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote:

>> Yes, "1998/1999" was written on the label of one bottle. Anyone
>> know for sure what the two years signify?

> Harvested after Jan1st?

Don't think so. According to Austrian (and EU) wine law, the
vintage on the label has to correspond to the year of the growing
season, not the harvest itself.

So it seems to be a blend of two vintages.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 14, 4:54*am, Michael Pronay > wrote:
> DaleW > wrote:
> >> Yes, "1998/1999" was written on the label of one bottle. Anyone
> >> know for sure what the two years signify?

> > Harvested after Jan1st?

> Don't think so. According to Austrian (and EU) wine law, the
> vintage on the label has to correspond to the year of the growing
> season, not the harvest itself.
>
> So it seems to be a blend of two vintages.
>
> M.

So it's legal to list two vintages?
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote:

> So it's legal to list two vintages?

I don't think so. To get a Staatliche Prüfnummer, you have
to list "vintage", not "vintages". From the Austrian Wine
Law (Weingesetz):

| Staatliche Prüfnummer
| § 31. (1) ...
| (4) Der Antrag auf Erteilung der staatlichen Prüfnummer hat
| Name, Betriebsnummer und Anschrift des Verfügungsberechtigten
| sowie Angaben über den Aufbewahrungsort des Weines, über die
| Weinart (Farbe, Verschnitt, Jahrgang, Qualitätsweinrebsorte,
^^^^^^^^
| Menge, örtliche Herkunft, Qualitätsstufe, Mostgewicht,
| Anreicherung) sowie Angaben über die beabsichtigte Bezeichnung
| des Weines, Angaben über die Lagerung und bei Prädikatswein die
| dem Wein zugrunde liegenden Mostchargennummern und Teilmengen zu
| enthalten.

But I have have seen, many, many, many examples of wines not
exactly labelled as the law would require.

I guess we have another example here.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Pronay > wrote:

> | Staatliche Prüfnummer
> | § 31. (1) ...
> | (4) Der Antrag auf Erteilung der staatlichen Prüfnummer hat
> | Name, Betriebsnummer und Anschrift des Verfügungsberechtigten
> | sowie Angaben über den Aufbewahrungsort des Weines, über die
> | Weinart (Farbe, Verschnitt, Jahrgang, Qualitätsweinrebsorte,
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> | Menge, örtliche Herkunft, Qualitätsstufe, Mostgewicht,
> | Anreicherung) sowie Angaben über die beabsichtigte Bezeichnung
> | des Weines, Angaben über die Lagerung und bei Prädikatswein
> | die dem Wein zugrunde liegenden Mostchargennummern und
> | Teilmengen zu enthalten.

I've just reread the section. It says "Qualitätsweinrebsorte"
also in singular. There is no doubt that a blend of two or more
varieties, in fact, is legal for Qualitätswein. So possibly a
blend of vintages might be legal, too.

M.

Struzziero Taurasi Reserva 1998, 1999 and 2000 Richard Neidich Wine 11 11-01-2007 04:29 PM
Pinot Noir Mike Winemaking 9 11-09-2004 12:45 AM
Acacia 1999 Carneros Pinot Noir Dave Devine Wine 5 26-06-2004 05:38 AM
Pinot Noir ernie Winemaking 4 10-04-2004 10:08 PM
1998 Burrowing Owl and 1999 Azelia Bill Spohn Wine 1 04-01-2004 07:34 AM