Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Rose wine

Hello All!

I don't drink much Rose wine but this is interesting:
http://tinyurl.com/cd2ev6

" A draft directive that for purists is about as sacrilegious as giving
a Michelin star to McDonald's. They fear that if it goes though next
month, then the years of tradition that have gone into the development
of rosé wine will count for nothing.

Instead of the delicate process of maceration leading to that youthful
pink blush and the taste of fresh flowers, manufacturers across Europe
will be allowed a rather more basic recipe: take one bottle of red wine
and one bottle of white. Mix"

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.wine

"James Silverton" > skrev i meddelandet
> Hello All!
>
> I don't drink much Rose wine but this is interesting:
> http://tinyurl.com/cd2ev6
>
> " A draft directive that for purists is about as sacrilegious as giving a
> Michelin star to McDonald's. They fear that if it goes though next month,
> then the years of tradition that have gone into the development of rosé
> wine will count for nothing.
>
> Instead of the delicate process of maceration leading to that youthful
> pink blush and the taste of fresh flowers, manufacturers across Europe
> will be allowed a rather more basic recipe: take one bottle of red wine
> and one bottle of white. Mix"

Er, yeah ... but it works rather well with Champagne ... and while there is
a lot of crap wine produced, the relative percentage of rosé crap to other
kinds of c-p is ... well, there is made a lot of bad rosé, is what I am
trying to say, and if bad winemakers get a new device for making bad wine,
well, I shall learn to live with it, and to avoid it.

Pink blush, well YES, but "taste of fresh flowers"? Not very often, in my
experience ...

Still, interesting in its way, don't you think? And I wonder what the
winemakers in Provence are saying ...

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:04:21 +0200, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>Mixing red and white wine has always been forbidden for table wine, but
>has ALWAYS been ALLOWED for VQPRDs (AOC in France, DOC in Italy, etc.),
>unless local rules were more stringent (I can quote you the relevant EU
>regulations if needed).

Please. I think you got it the wrong way round. My understanding is
that it currently allowed for table wine - I personally know an
English producer that does it. But, with one exception - Champage -
it is illegal for quality wines. Or maybe there a couple more
exceptions.

Either way, I'd like to see the current regs - I have tried googling
for them recently with no success and all I have is second hand
information.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:07:17 +0100, Steve Slatcher
> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:04:21 +0200, Mike Tommasi >
>wrote:
>
>>Mixing red and white wine has always been forbidden for table wine, but
>>has ALWAYS been ALLOWED for VQPRDs (AOC in France, DOC in Italy, etc.),
>>unless local rules were more stringent (I can quote you the relevant EU
>>regulations if needed).

>Please. I think you got it the wrong way round. My understanding is
>that it currently allowed for table wine - I personally know an
>English producer that does it. But, with one exception - Champage -
>it is illegal for quality wines. Or maybe there a couple more
>exceptions.
>
>Either way, I'd like to see the current regs - I have tried googling
>for them recently with no success and all I have is second hand
>information.

Hmm... just read the page you linked to in your other post. Seems you
are right. I am now trying to find the (seemingly dodgy) source of my
information. Maybe it was "personal communication". And it looks
like my English producer of table wine was behaving illegally.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:58:57 +0200, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>The rule is defined in regulation 1493/1999 OENOLOGICAL PRACTICES AND
>PROCESSES:
>http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...01:0084:EN:PDF
>
>Article 42 par. 6 states:
>
>"Coupage of a wine suitable for yielding a white table wine or of a
>white table wine with a wine suitable for yielding a red table wine or
>with a red table wine may not yield a table wine."

Many thanks

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike wrote on Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:58:57 +0200:

> Steve Slatcher wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:07:17 +0100, Steve Slatcher
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:04:21 +0200, Mike Tommasi

>>> Please. I think you got it the wrong way round. My
>>> understanding is that it currently allowed for table wine - I
>>> personally know an English producer that does it. But,
>>> with one exception - Champage - it is illegal for quality
>>> wines. Or maybe there a couple more exceptions.
>>>
>>> Either way, I'd like to see the current regs - I have tried googling
>>> for them recently with no success and all I have is
>>> second hand information.

>> Hmm... just read the page you linked to in your other post.
>> Seems you are right. I am now trying to find the (seemingly dodgy)
>> source of my information. Maybe it was "personal
>> communication". And it looks like my English producer of
>> table wine was behaving illegally.

> The rule is defined in regulation 1493/1999 OENOLOGICAL
> PRACTICES AND PROCESSES:
> http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...01:0084:EN:PDF

> Article 42 par. 6 states:

> "Coupage of a wine suitable for yielding a white table wine or
> of a white table wine with a wine suitable for yielding a red table
> wine or with a red table wine may not yield a table
> wine."

Just to help me, please expand! I can't tell if that means you can or
cannot legally mix colors since it sounds more like a prediction.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 17:53:47 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Mike wrote on Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:58:57 +0200:

>> "Coupage of a wine suitable for yielding a white table wine or
>> of a white table wine with a wine suitable for yielding a red table
>> wine or with a red table wine may not yield a table
>> wine."

>Just to help me, please expand! I can't tell if that means you can or
>cannot legally mix colors since it sounds more like a prediction.

You cannot. But it refers only to table wines lower then AOC.

"May not" = forbidden.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

Steve wrote on Mon, 30 Mar 2009 06:58:24 +0100:

>> Mike wrote on Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:58:57 +0200:

>>> "Coupage of a wine suitable for yielding a white table wine
>>> or of a white table wine with a wine suitable for yielding a
>>> red table wine or with a red table wine may not yield a
>>> table wine."

>> Just to help me, please expand! I can't tell if that means
>> you can or cannot legally mix colors since it sounds more
>> like a prediction.

> You cannot. But it refers only to table wines lower then AOC.

> "May not" = forbidden.

The bureaucracy should hire some better translators!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

>> "May not" = forbidden.

> The bureaucracy should hire some better translators!

Next time you pass through Chateauneuf-du-Papes, step in at the small
restaurant with a terrace at the town square, and admire their menu ... that
is one funny translation ...

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:42:14 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>The bureaucracy should hire some better translators!

No, no, the translators are excellent. It's a special European
English designed to confuse the rest of the world

It was the word "coupage" that I had problems with, but the web
provided an answer.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

A Wine a Day... Nardò DOC (Red, Rosé) WINE66 Wine 2 28-03-2009 04:49 PM
question about Mateus Rose wine Jeremy Dominik Wine 3 12-06-2005 10:07 PM
rose wine Alex Brewer Winemaking 1 17-05-2004 10:31 PM
Blush wine vs. Rosé Dena Jo Winemaking 23 12-11-2003 05:20 AM
Rose Hip Wine Question Aquarian Winemaking 1 05-10-2003 03:06 AM