Dena Jo

Default Blush wine vs. Rosé

I hope someone here can answer my question. Are blush wines rosés, or
is there a difference?

--
Dena Jo

(Email: Replace TPUBGTH with denajo2)
Negodki

"Dena Jo" :

> I hope someone here can answer my question. Are blush wines rosés, or
> is there a difference?

They are different types of wine. Here is a discussion of the differences,
and history of the term "blush".

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...:rec.crafts.wi
nemaking%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D5hv9pi%2524g7%25241%2540cob
ra.minn.net%26rnum%3D1

Dan

I believe 'rose' is the old term.When wine drinking (and making) became more
popular, they changed the term to 'blush'. Why? I dunno. Maybe all those
girls drinking their white zinfandel got rosy cheeks and looked like they
were blushing? In another 10 or 20 years, 'blush' will sound old, and the
new generation will come up with some new term. I wonder what it would be?

"Dena Jo" > wrote in message
> I hope someone here can answer my question. Are blush wines rosés, or
> is there a difference?
>
> --
> Dena Jo
>
> (Email: Replace TPUBGTH with denajo2)

Negodki

Oops, I meant to say, "they are different terms for the same types of wine".
<red-faced negodki>

http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary...D=313&ISWINE=T

There are various techniques for creating a blush (or rose), but both terms
seem to be used for _all_ pinkish-coloured wines, still and carbonated,
fermented on the skins and blended from white and red wines, etc.

Dena Jo

On 23 Oct 2003, Negodki posted thus:

> Oops, I meant to say, "they are different terms for the same types
> of wine". <red-faced negodki>

Are you red-faced or really rosé-faced?

In any case, thanks. Those links were helpful.

--
Dena Jo

(Email: Replace TPUBGTH with denajo2)

Dena Jo

On 23 Oct 2003, Dan posted thus:

> popular, they changed the term to 'blush'. Why? I dunno. Maybe all
> those girls drinking their white zinfandel got rosy cheeks and
> looked like they were blushing?

Certainly I did.

--
Dena Jo

(Email: Replace TPUBGTH with denajo2)
Ant

blush wine

pinkish table wine from red grapes whose skins were removed after =
fermentation began.

Rose wine.

pinkish table wine from White grape concentrate and rose petals.

Stephen

"Dena Jo" > wrote in message
> I hope someone here can answer my question. Are blush wines ros=E9s, =

or
> is there a difference?
>
> --=20
> Dena Jo
>
> (Email: Replace TPUBGTH with denajo2)

Lum

"Dena Jo" > wrote in message
> I hope someone here can answer my question. Are blush wines rosés, or
> is there a difference?
>
> --
> Dena Jo

Dena Jo,
By definition, white wines are made by fermenting juice only. Red wines are
made by fermenting the juice and solids together. Blush wines are made by
fermenting juice, so the are "white" wines. Rose wines are made by
fermenting the juice and solids together for a short time, so they are "red"
wines.
lum

Negodki

"Lum" > wrote:

> Blush wines are made by fermenting juice, so the[y] are "white" wines.

How do they get their pink colour then? Most red grapes (I understand bacos
are an exception) will yield a white wine if there is not some period of
skin contact.

Tom S

"Dena Jo" > wrote in message
> I hope someone here can answer my question. Are blush wines rosés, or
> is there a difference?

Without looking at all the other posts, I'll take a chance and say that rosé
wines are a good deal more deeply colored than blush. I've seen blush wines
that could _never_ pass for rosé, but not the opposite.

Tom S

Tom S

"Negodki" > wrote in message
> "Lum" > wrote:
>
> > Blush wines are made by fermenting juice, so the[y] are "white" wines.

> How do they get their pink colour then? Most red grapes (I understand

bacos
> are an exception) will yield a white wine if there is not some period of
> skin contact.

That's the point. The longer the skin contact, the darker the blush. At
some point after crushing and skin contact begins, the wine becomes rosé.

IOW, blush wines are generally made from red fruit that is pressed very soon
after harvesting - often without crushing. Champagne is mostly made from
Pinot Noir that is picked somewhat underripe (~18 Brix) and pressed as whole
clusters. Most of the color (what there is of it) remains behind in the
press pomace. The finished wine from this operation is so slightly tinted
that you might easily mistake it for a white (blanc de blancs) Champagne.

I need a word for wines made from Pinot Grigio or Gewurztraminer in a style
that tends to acknowledge the inherent color of these varietals (and others,
if there are any). My Pinot Grigio looked more like Pinot Noir in the bins.
It was clearly _not_ a white grape. The finished wine is a copper/orange
color. Part of the color is from the barrel fermentation and aging, but
more is from the fruit itself. The flavor is quite intense, and definitely
_not_ Chardonnay-like. I think this is a good wine to give some age to.

Some wineries, particularly Pinot Noir producers, will "bleed off" some of
the free run juice immediately and make vin gris from that, and dump the
skins back into the main lot to enhance its color. This typically raises
the pH of the must, but that's easily fixed with a little tartaric. Most
wines need a touch of tartaric anyway - at least here in California*.

Tom S

*In France, a bit of cane is more common. Given my choice between the two,
I'd prefer to need to add acid rather than sugar. Grapes that are low in
acid are certainly ripe; grapes low in sugar are probably _not_ ripe.

JEP

"Tom S" > wrote in message news:<W72mb.3552>

> *In France, a bit of cane is more common. Given my choice between the two,
> I'd prefer to need to add acid rather than sugar. Grapes that are low in
> acid are certainly ripe; grapes low in sugar are probably _not_ ripe.

I must, respectfully, disagree, somewhat, with your last statement. If
this were an absolute, the best grapes out of California (or the
world) would be those grown in the hottest, sunniest climates.

The problem arises when the sugar levels increase so early in the
growing season that the farmer is forced to pick before physiological
ripeness is obtained. This results in high brix, lower acid grapes
with green stems and seeds that are under-developed. In short, the
grapes are immature which leads to off flavors in the finished wine.

On the other hand, in a cooler climate, even though the brix may be a
little low and the acid on the high side, the vines may have already
ripened the fruit with fully developed stems and seeds.

IMO, each area (France, California, wherever) has its own set of
challenges and deals with them in their own way.

Andy
Lum

"Negodki" > wrote in message
> "Lum" > wrote:
>
> > Blush wines are made by fermenting juice, so the[y] are "white" wines.

> How do they get their pink colour then? Most red grapes (I understand

bacos
> are an exception) will yield a white wine if there is not some period of
> skin contact.

Even with low Brix grapes, an hour or so of skin contact time after crushing
is enough to produce the pink color. With ripe grapes, wineries often have
problems with too much color because they cant press fast enough to keep up
with the crusher..

Dena Jo

Just wanted to thank everyone who answered my question!

--
Dena Jo

(Email: Replace TPUBGTH with denajo2)
Tom S

"JEP" > wrote in message
om...
> "Tom S" > wrote in message news:<W72mb.3552>
> >

> > *In France, a bit of cane is more common. Given my choice between the

two,
> > I'd prefer to need to add acid rather than sugar. Grapes that are low

in
> > acid are certainly ripe; grapes low in sugar are probably _not_ ripe.

> I must, respectfully, disagree, somewhat, with your last statement. If
> this were an absolute, the best grapes out of California (or the
> world) would be those grown in the hottest, sunniest climates.

We're talking about _wine_ grapes here; not table grapes. IOW, I'm drawing
a comparison between Bordeaux (e.g.) and Napa - not Fresno.

> The problem arises when the sugar levels increase so early in the
> growing season that the farmer is forced to pick before physiological
> ripeness is obtained. This results in high brix, lower acid grapes
> with green stems and seeds that are under-developed. In short, the
> grapes are immature which leads to off flavors in the finished wine.

Not to mention lack of fruit/varietal character.

> On the other hand, in a cooler climate, even though the brix may be a
> little low and the acid on the high side, the vines may have already
> ripened the fruit with fully developed stems and seeds.

That's all well and good in a year with clement weather. Unfortunately, as
the Bordelais well know, early rains can wreak havoc with that scenario. It
happens here in California too (1982 e.g.), but it's a _lot_ less frequent
than in Europe.

> IMO, each area (France, California, wherever) has its own set of
> challenges and deals with them in their own way.

Exactly. That's basically what I implied, but I stand by my opinion that
it's preferable to have to tweak the pH down a little in a must that has
normal Brix, to having to chaptalize low Brix must/juice.

Tom S

Joe Sallustio

Dena Jo,
I don't think anyone mentioned 'Rose' is French for 'pink'; I always
though that was the origin. I'm not sure blush is not more of a
marketing term than anything else.
Regards,
Joe

> Just wanted to thank everyone who answered my question!

Miker

The marketing explanation is the way I understand it, too. Rose had
earned a bad reputation as cheap wine, so wine sellers started calling
it blush.

If there is a strict definition of blush vs. rose based on skin
contact time then I've never seen it printed anywhere. Does someone
have a reference for this?
Ray

There is one other possible source for rose type wines. Second run. Use
the pressed skins after making red wine, add some sugar and a little water
and referment to get a second batch of wine. It turns out a wine that
tastes and looks like a cheap rose wine. I am not sure but what some
commercial rose is exactly this.

Ray

"Miker" > wrote in message
m...
> The marketing explanation is the way I understand it, too. Rose had
> earned a bad reputation as cheap wine, so wine sellers started calling
> it blush.
>
> If there is a strict definition of blush vs. rose based on skin
> contact time then I've never seen it printed anywhere. Does someone
> have a reference for this?

Lib

I always thought that rose was a pink wine made from red grapes and a
blush wine was a pink wine made from white white grapes/wine blended
with red grapes/wine.

If I am not mistaken,, and I may be,, BATF has the same definition.
or it could be vice/versa

How do you make that 'over the e symbol anyway.

"Ray" > wrote in message >...
> There is one other possible source for rose type wines. Second run. Use
> the pressed skins after making red wine, add some sugar and a little water
> and referment to get a second batch of wine. It turns out a wine that
> tastes and looks like a cheap rose wine. I am not sure but what some
> commercial rose is exactly this.
>
> Ray
>
> "Miker" > wrote in message
> m...
> > The marketing explanation is the way I understand it, too. Rose had
> > earned a bad reputation as cheap wine, so wine sellers started calling
> > it blush.
> >
> > If there is a strict definition of blush vs. rose based on skin
> > contact time then I've never seen it printed anywhere. Does someone
> > have a reference for this?

Tom S

"Lib" > wrote in message
om...
> How do you make that 'over the e symbol anyway.

I use a freebie program called "AllChars". A Google search should turn it
up.

Tom S

Mark Willstatter

(Lib) wrote in message . com>...
> I always thought that rose was a pink wine made from red grapes and a
> blush wine was a pink wine made from white white grapes/wine blended
> with red grapes/wine.
>
> If I am not mistaken,, and I may be,, BATF has the same definition.
> or it could be vice/versa

This is what the BATF regulations have to say about the color of wine:

"Grape wine deriving its characteristic color or lack of color from
the presence or absence of the red coloring matter of the skins,
juice,
or pulp of grapes may be designated as ``red wine,'' ``pink (or rose)
wine,'' ``amber wine,'' or ``white wine'' as the case may be. Any
grape
wine containing no added grape brandy or alcohol may be further
designated as ``natural."

In other words, not much. The word "blush" isn't mentioned and, come
to think of it, I can't remember ever seeing it on a wine label. But
then I don't drink the stuff much ;^) I don't think "blush" has any
official meaning, it's just a word wineries came up with for pink,
usually sweet wine. Also, at least here in California, I've never
heard of a blush wine being made from a mix of red and white grapes;
it's a pink wine made from red grapes. In other words, in trying to
distinguish between "blush" and "rosé", we're trying to distinguish
between two terms that are virtually synonymous.

Oh, and if you don't want to download a program for symbols, Alt-130
works well for é. If you experiment with Alt-1xy where x and y are
other digits, you can find all of the international symbols you want.

- Mark W.
Ben Rotter

> I always thought that rose was a pink wine made from red grapes and a
> blush wine was a pink wine made from white white grapes.

End the sentance there and that's basically how I've always defined
them.

> How do you make that 'over the e symbol anyway.

Try the good old way: ensure your Num Lock is on, then *while holding
down the Alt key* type 130 on the keypad.

Ben
Dave Gimbel

Called by many names "pink wine" can be made from a number of methods
1. A very short skin contact when fermenting red skinned grapes
2. Blending a red and white wine together, eg. adding 9% Merlot to say
Riesling.
3. Even certain white grapes when given an extra skin contact e.g. Pinot
Gris will cause a blush wine.
However in the wine kits its probably a small amount of red base concentrate
added to a white base concentrate, than ran through the pasteurizor prior to
packaging.

"Ben Rotter" > wrote in message
om...
> > I always thought that rose was a pink wine made from red grapes and a
> > blush wine was a pink wine made from white white grapes.

> End the sentance there and that's basically how I've always defined
> them.
>
> > How do you make that 'over the e symbol anyway.

> Try the good old way: ensure your Num Lock is on, then *while holding
> down the Alt key* type 130 on the keypad.
>
> Ben

Negodki

> "Lib" > wrote in message
> > How do you make that 'over the e symbol anyway.

1) Hold down the Alt key and type "0233" on the alternate keypad.

or

2) Click "Start/Program/Accessories/Systems Tools/Character Map. Then select
the character set and character(s) you wish to enter and click
"select/copy". Then paste the character(s) into your message.

or

3) Click "Start/Settings/Control Panel/Keyboard/Language/Add". Scroll down
to "French", and click "OK". Click OK. Select the French Keyboard from your
system tray, and type "é".

TN: 7 pink wines (5 roses, 1 twice, plus a blush) DaleW Wine 0 11-07-2009 04:38 PM
Rose wine James Silverton[_4_] Wine 13 30-03-2009 08:26 PM
A Wine a Day... Nardò DOC (Red, Rosé) WINE66 Wine 2 28-03-2009 04:49 PM
rose wine Alex Brewer Winemaking 1 17-05-2004 10:31 PM
Rose Hip Wine Question Aquarian Winemaking 1 05-10-2003 03:06 AM