Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Periodic Courtesy Reminder

As a well-known AFW resident busybody, I've periodically taken it
upon myself to post courtesy reminders.

A few thoughts (from previous courtesy posts):

1) This is Usenet, a tool for discussion. Don't expect to post
something w/o possibility of someone refuting it. That is the nature
of the forum. If you wish to post w/o anyone disagreeing, maybe you
should set up a blog (and disable comments section)

2) Please keep in mind that many of the contributors to alt.food.wine
do not speak English as their first language. Also even for some of
us who do, it's easy to mistake the tone of written communication.
If
there's 2 ways to take a post, be easy on yourself and decide the
least offensive perception is the correct one.

3) Let's try our best to avoid personal comments. If you don't like
someone, filter their posts. The details of how to do that vary
according to newsreader software, but tutorials exist on the Web for
employing filters in all the popular newsreaders. If you use Google
Groups just try to ignore.

4) If you realize someone's intent is to provoke and annoy (in other
words, a troll) , please just ignore. Every time you argue with them,
or invoke their name, you're stroking their (IMHO somewhat warped)
ego.
http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/courtesy9.html
I realize sometimes it's soooooooooooo tempting. But try to resist.
If
you feel compelled to respond, no one can't stop you. But please
don't
quote trolls , it puts their words in front of those who have kill-
filed them

5)New Folks: you're here to learn, right? So if someone who has been
on AFW for years and serious about wine for 30+ corrects you, learn
from
it, don't get your feelings hurt.

6) Old folks : remember you were new (to wine and AFW) at some point,
too. Correct if need be, but let's try to do so graciously.

7) Personally, I find it less than helpful to make generalizations
about people based on what country they live in , their occupation,
etc. People who invoke offensive off-topic subjects on a regular
basis deserve to be killfiled, period.

8) No one is superior (In My Humble Opinion) based on either the
simplicity or elegance of what they eat or drink. Isn't this group
big
enough for someone to have Shiraz with BBQed chicken and another to
have rack of lamb with a fine Pauillac? Does it somehow offend you to
read about a meal you wouldn't eat yourself? If someone says that
they will not drink certain types of wines, don't waste your time
worrying
about their opinions of those wines, listen to those that do.

9)Newbies: we welcome your participation (this is speaking as someone
who has participated for a few years, I'm neither a true old-timer or
a newbie). But as in ANY social situation, whether on or off line, it
is wisest not to attack a member of a community while a newbie, it
really won't win you any points. It is a time-honored tradition that
one should lurk for a while before posting to get a feel re tone of a
group.

10)Most of the people here use their real names Some use a
pseudonym,
but do include a valid email address or other means to validate their
existence in the physical plane. As to others, one must use judgment
as to how
much energy to put into conversations with those who might be trolls
or sockpuppets.
This is especially true if that person doesn't have a Usenet track
record.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_%28Internet%29
As they say,YMMV.

So there. As usual, I'm sure I've offended a couple of old-timers and
a couple of newbies, but hope the rest of you can take these remarks
heart. I don't claim to be immune to digression;all I'm asking is
that we try to keep these guidelines in mind.

best wishes,
Dale

Periodic Courtesy Reminder DaleW Wine 1 27-03-2007 03:06 PM
Happy (US) Thanksgiving, and periodic courtesy reminder DaleW Wine 2 23-11-2006 03:14 AM
Best wishes for 2006, and a periodic courtesy reminder DaleW Wine 2 02-01-2006 11:07 PM
Periodic courtesy reminder DaleW Wine 5 11-03-2005 02:54 AM
Periodic Courtesy Reminder Dale Williams Wine 2 17-09-2004 10:08 PM